• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New NRES website

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dai.

Established Member
It's still malformed here, with buttons missing and all sorts of weird glitches!

I think I'll leave it alone tonight & see if it becomes stable overnight.

Probably best, they should really have updated midnight cause no ones gunna want to use it then and its got all night to process.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Dai and others: try clearing out your computer's internet cache.
I know that many Microsoft OSes with IE will keep using a cached version of a site's css even if the actual file has changed on the server. It just relies on the file name being unchanged. Simply closing the browser or re-starting the machine doesn'rt trigger re-reading the file. Perhaps other browsers do too.

Dai.

Established Member
Dai and others: try clearing out your computer's internet cache.
I know that many Microsoft OSes with IE will keep using a cached version of a site's css even if the actual file has changed on the server. It just relies on the file name being unchanged. Simply closing the browser or re-starting the machine doesn'rt trigger re-reading the file. Perhaps other browsers do too.

Cleared, looks the same-ish but the fonts are smaller on the LDB, still won't update to the brand new version.

EDIT -
Found something useful if you want to quickly switch between London stations, I can't get it work on any others, you get a drop down list. Not sure why you'd wanna see this.

Attachments

• londonall.jpg
    londonall.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

mathmo

Works fine for me (apart from the Flash ads, grrr) - I'm still getting old style Live Departure Boards but, apart from that, no problems.

Tugzrule

It works fine for me in Safari but the LDB don't seem to have the right text format and it seems that there is a lot of blank space on the side of the page. Not getting any other problems at the moment though.

MCR247

Established Member
It works fine for me in Safari but the LDB don't seem to have the right text format and it seems that there is a lot of blank space on the side of the page. Not getting any other problems at the moment though.

Works fine for me (apart from the Flash ads, grrr) - I'm still getting old style Live Departure Boards but, apart from that, no problems.

I'm still getting old LDB boards to and the ads are all over the place

Drsatan

Established Member
Just had a look at the new National Rail website. Certainly looks a lot nicer than the old one, and the adverts remain in the same place: that problem's been fixed then. However, on the "Current Service Alterations" page, the "current engineering work" should really be sorted by TOC since that would be a lot easier to navigate. Planned engineering work is sorted by TOC, although when I selected First Great Western from the drop-down menu and clicked "search" it didn't produce any results. Tried a few other TOCs and had the same result.

harz99

Having just tried the site for some early 2010 info on times and fares - it's cr*p!

Admittedly the old site was just that-old, but it was simple. and when not overloaded due to holidays, service interuptions etc. worked well.

Why on earth put up the new site without testing all the links and without all the info on it?

For anyone looking for Rover/Ranger ticket info. your best going through the "Special Offers" section for a specific TOC in the area you want. Even if you do that there are no prices nor maps available.

SWT Driver

Why do I get the feeling that more & more people are getting really ****ed off with the new crap site and prefer the old one that worked perfectly well?

devon_metro

Established Member
I like the general design of the site, however I never actually use it because it was so horendous to find stuff.

Whats with the random clock and a blank space right up the top?

stavros

I'm just making the point that its not just people on here that use the NRE site!

SWT Driver

I know, am I'm just making a point about that waste of time site.

It still doesn't excuse ATOC for replacing a perfectly usable site with something that is ill-conceived, poorly designed & generally a retrograde step with the reliability factor of a Lada, something that hasn't been tested properly and is generally rubbish as it doesn't work properly.

emoaconr

How long has NRES been able to give Irish train times?

I also like how the BR symbol has been used quite originally for the Outward/Inward journey icons, and also at the bottom of the page.

Last edited:

boing_uk

Well Ive been trying for the last twenty minutes to find out train times on the evening of Sat 26th from MIA to PRE, but it keeps insisting that I must want to travel on Sun 27th.

And when I try to see an earlier journey which should in theory move me to Saturday, it tells me that I have specified a "via" station and the cheapest ticket price.

No I havent and no I didnt.

What a plentiful quantity of soft and aromatic bobbins this new site is. The old site was quick, simple, and told you what you wanted to know, when you wanted. This new site is not only slow, but its a complete pain in the moneymaker.

Attachments

• NRE1.JPG
    NRE1.JPG
    148.8 KB · Views: 22
  • NRE2.JPG
    NRE2.JPG
    131.8 KB · Views: 19

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Well Ive been trying for the last twenty minutes to find out train times on the evening of Sat 26th from MIA to PRE, but it keeps insisting that I must want to travel on Sun 27th.
There are no trains on that route on 26 DMR due to the fact it's Boxing Day. The old website would have also forwarded you to the next day most likely.

emoaconr

There's a lot of information that is only retrievable by a search now... but remember these are all teething problems... I expect thing'll clear up in time.

I notice Lisa has had a face lift, some peroxide and a fair bit of botox!

SWT Driver

It's odd that you can plan a journey to Dublin (Connolly, Heuston), Belfast, Cork, Limerick etc, which involves ferries, buses & walking.

Yet you can't plan a journey to Paris, Brussels, Lille, Calais or anywhere on the Eurostar network, which is stupid!

BRX

Established Member
The removal of the grid display showing all the ticket types and which trains they were valid on, concisely and in one place, is a step in the wrong direction, I think.

Although I'll reserve final judgement until I've gotten used to using the new site.

harz99

I think it looks good and so do most people on twitter!

Lot's of things look good, but the acid test is do they perform!

So far, in this case the answer is No, Non, Nein, Niet or whatever language you use.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
where do i find rover and ranger tickets?

My earlier post will help you.................

Status
Not open for further replies.