• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New Phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Huawei is number three in the world. Samsung first, then Apple, then Huawei (with around 10% as at the end of 2017).

Xiaomi is also a strong brand. As well as Oppo/OnePlus.

not in this country - yet. There is clearly some branding and advertising work needed to help generate share in a relatively new market. BTW I am not wedded to any brand and went for one that offered the best deal on a decent handset, good data levels and a price that didn't take my eyes out every month.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

najaB

Veteran Member

DarloRich

Veteran Member
They aren't an 'unknown copy', as @jon0844 says they are a major manufacturer, they just don't have as big a distribution chain over here as they do in Asia.

they are fairly unknown in this country and most "normal" people would assume, perhaps wrongly, they were cheap knock offs. They need to win market share and get some brand standing.

In any event they were more expensive than the phone i bought and offered a less attractive package.

jon0844

Veteran Member
they are fairly unknown in this country and most "normal" people would assume, perhaps wrongly, they were cheap knock offs. They need to win market share and get some brand standing.

In any event they were more expensive than the phone i bought and offered a less attractive package.

I'd agree they're fairly unknown still as for some time they made phones and mobile broadband products (dongles, hotspots and routers) under network branding.

And in years gone by they made only budget handsets for operators, but now they're more of a premium handset manufacturer. They do cheaper phones but they still have a premium build and decent specs, rather as Samsung has done. Neither wanting a reputation as doing cheap phones.

najaB

Veteran Member
I'm genuinely happy that you found a deal you're satisfied with. I suspect, though, that you could've got a cheaper deal overall by buying from a less well known manufacturer. As an example, I bought a Huawei P8 Lite to replace my elderly Nexus 4. I'm completely satisfied with the build quality and performance, but at £130 SIM-free I could replace it with the then-current equivalent model every six months and still be quids in over the lifetime of a two year contract on a S9.

Edit: Actually, I told a lie. I do have one issue with the build quality, the glass back is too smooth - it slides of any table that's even slightly tilted.

Domh245

Established Member
Edit: Actually, I told a lie. I do have one issue with the build quality, the glass back is too smooth - it slides of any table that's even slightly tilted.

Talk about first world problems! :P

Do Huwaei ship their phones with a fairly standard Android installation? That's one of the things that has always bugged me for some reason about Samsung phones, the fact that they put as much bloatware and other rubbish on it as they do, the non-major brands like Moto and Nokia (latest, android based iteration) tend to ship the phones with the bare minimum installed.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Talk about first world problems! :P

Do Huwaei ship their phones with a fairly standard Android installation? That's one of the things that has always bugged me for some reason about Samsung phones, the fact that they put as much bloatware and other rubbish on it as they do, the non-major brands like Moto and Nokia (latest, android based iteration) tend to ship the phones with the bare minimum installed.

It has a skin called Emotion UI but since V5 (it's now on 8/8.1) it's a lot more like vanilla Android. No attempts to look like iOS as before!

I'd say it doesn't slow things down as TouchWiz had a reputation for doing in the past.

The newer phones also support Google's improved system for doing updates, so they're more frequent than previously.

fowler9

Established Member
Ended up getting a Moto G5 at the weekend. It's fine but the battery life doesn't seem amazing, on the plus side it charges quickly.

ComUtoR

Established Member
Just scored a P20 Pro for £269 and £18pcm Same minutes and data as my sim only £16pcm. Moved from O2 to EE. I'm gutted about losing my windows phone but it started to have issues (random reboots, sound issues etc)

jon0844

Veteran Member
Just scored a P20 Pro for £269 and £18pcm Same minutes and data as my sim only £16pcm. Moved from O2 to EE. I'm gutted about losing my windows phone but it started to have issues (random reboots, sound issues etc)

You must be the only person who could miss Windows Phone*, but I think you'll soon forget and love the P20 Pro, plus the vastly improved 4G service on EE over O2!

* actually, I sort of miss it too as it was a nice UI but that was about it. It became quite clunky and never had any apps. It really died many years ago and only survived this long because businesses bought in to it (Inc GTR) and Microsoft implied they'd fix everything and make it great again. Which didn't happen.

Bromley boy

Established Member
iPhone X.

That way you know you have the best phone on the market.

Why settle for anything less? ;)

jon0844

Veteran Member
iPhone X.

Given the less than impressive sales figures (the X, not the other models), I know Apple would definitely like more people to buy them!

Dai Corner

Established Member
Given the less than impressive sales figures (the X, not the other models), I know Apple would definitely like more people to buy them!

It sounds like being very expensive is becoming less of a selling point for Apple products.

If I worked in the marketing department of a rival manufacturer I would introduce a Model ✅ [tick] to compete with the iPhone X [cross]. :D

jon0844

Veteran Member
It sounds like being very expensive is becoming less of a selling point for Apple products.

If I worked in the marketing department of a rival manufacturer I would introduce a Model ✅ [tick] to compete with the iPhone X [cross]. :D

I think Apple is noticing that people are perhaps tightening their belts (all around the world) and the rumours now are of an iPhone X 'lite' coming this year - as in a lot more affordable*. (They may also do this with their next watch, as clearly smartwatches aren't selling for anyone*, least of all premium ones).

To be honest, Apple has little choice as there are Chinese manufacturers churning out glass backed, bezel-less (notched) displays on phones costing around £200 (after all, Apple didn't build the screen it uses). Obviously a lower spec when it comes to SoC and camera, but cheaper phones are probably exceeding the demands and expectations of a number of users anyway. Can you use Instagram on the phone? Can you take a photo that looks good when your friends see it on their Instagram feed (viewed on a phone display, not a desktop or TV). Does it have fast 4G, dual band Wi-Fi, good battery life? Check, check, check..

There's also the chance that people are turning away from Apple, but I am not sure that's necessarily happening yet. Just that Apple is finding people aren't feeling the compulsion to buy the flagship products.

* Relatively speaking.

Last edited:

ComUtoR

Established Member
iPhone X.

Big phone, big car, small feet ?

:D

Market forces are pushing people away. Phones used to be 'upgraded' year on year and there were many incentives to drive new contracts. I never got a new contract without a 'free' gift. You were also paying more for the contracts and the phone acted as an incentive and they gave them away like candy.

There has been a surge towards sim only deals and as phones have lasted a lot longer and become less disposable we tend to keep our phones and push for better deals and those being driven by data, data, data. Phones have also become generic. Nothing really has a USP cameras seem to be the great divider between phones. This sim only sure has also been price driven and its been cheaper to buy outright and it gives you stronger consumer power in your choice of provider. There are some huge sim only deals enticing people to switch.

The phone companies have just been playing on this by slowly increasing the price and introducing a new 'flagship' phone every year. Consumers have fallen hook, like and sinker for it. Advertising hype drives consumerism. The iPhone X hit the tipping point. How much are people willing to spend on a flagship phone ? As clearly highlighted in this thread there are many phones with decent hardware spec for a lot less money. The iPhone X price is shocking and only appeals to a small number of people. The companies pushing around £300 seem to have it the sweet spot in price. Good enough for the middle class teenager and 'affordable' for the parents who buy their kids a new phone as a Christmas present. For a grand I want that phone to last a good 5yrs. £300 and I'm just about in that upgrade when I want area. Spending a grand and knowing that Apple will stop supporting it, gimp the hardware, gimp the apps with an ios upgrade, release a new flagship etc just makes the consumer a bit wary.

With each phone manufacturer pushing a flagship year on year they are hitting some issues of their own. Samsung have the S9, S8 and S7 all on the shelves and they can't shift them. That never used to happen. A new phone would come out and the old ones were gone or traded in. With many iterations of the same phone there is a huge market saturation. Even the tech websites are saying don't upgrade as its not worth it. The upgraded flagships are all generic and barely an 'upgrade' from the previous version. Hold out and sit a version behind seems to be where this is all heading.

I think that new flagships will either come out every couple of years or the price will drop to drive the consumer spending. It will also need a new technology to drive the need to upgrade. I've had NFC for a long while and never used it. Now with 'contactless' payments it drives a need. Yet less so with wireless charging. I've had that for a long while but never used it other than in a coffee shop and an Ikea. Now that tech is going into cars then maybe that will drive new phone uptake but that will take time. The next big leap looks to be fold-able phones and flexible screens but again that has been sitting in development for a long time. If you follow CES shows you will understand how long that is taking and even Samsung pushed theirs back again. I am unsure how the consumer will take to it and how much they are willing to shell out.

Speaking of phones. A delivery van just went past my door :)

jon0844

Veteran Member

Market forces are pushing people away. Phones used to be 'upgraded' year on year and there were many incentives to drive new contracts. I never got a new contract without a 'free' gift. You were also paying more for the contracts and the phone acted as an incentive and they gave them away like candy.

There has been a surge towards sim only deals and as phones have lasted a lot longer and become less disposable we tend to keep our phones and push for better deals and those being driven by data, data, data. Phones have also become generic. Nothing really has a USP cameras seem to be the great divider between phones. This sim only sure has also been price driven and its been cheaper to buy outright and it gives you stronger consumer power in your choice of provider. There are some huge sim only deals enticing people to switch.

The phone companies have just been playing on this by slowly increasing the price and introducing a new 'flagship' phone every year. Consumers have fallen hook, like and sinker for it. Advertising hype drives consumerism. The iPhone X hit the tipping point. How much are people willing to spend on a flagship phone ? As clearly highlighted in this thread there are many phones with decent hardware spec for a lot less money. The iPhone X price is shocking and only appeals to a small number of people. The companies pushing around £300 seem to have it the sweet spot in price. Good enough for the middle class teenager and 'affordable' for the parents who buy their kids a new phone as a Christmas present. For a grand I want that phone to last a good 5yrs. £300 and I'm just about in that upgrade when I want area. Spending a grand and knowing that Apple will stop supporting it, gimp the hardware, gimp the apps with an ios upgrade, release a new flagship etc just makes the consumer a bit wary.

With each phone manufacturer pushing a flagship year on year they are hitting some issues of their own. Samsung have the S9, S8 and S7 all on the shelves and they can't shift them. That never used to happen. A new phone would come out and the old ones were gone or traded in. With many iterations of the same phone there is a huge market saturation. Even the tech websites are saying don't upgrade as its not worth it. The upgraded flagships are all generic and barely an 'upgrade' from the previous version. Hold out and sit a version behind seems to be where this is all heading.

I think that new flagships will either come out every couple of years or the price will drop to drive the consumer spending. It will also need a new technology to drive the need to upgrade. I've had NFC for a long while and never used it. Now with 'contactless' payments it drives a need. Yet less so with wireless charging. I've had that for a long while but never used it other than in a coffee shop and an Ikea. Now that tech is going into cars then maybe that will drive new phone uptake but that will take time. The next big leap looks to be fold-able phones and flexible screens but again that has been sitting in development for a long time. If you follow CES shows you will understand how long that is taking and even Samsung pushed theirs back again. I am unsure how the consumer will take to it and how much they are willing to shell out.

Speaking of phones. A delivery van just went past my door :)

There's a rumour of Huawei and Samsung doing foldable screens, but I have to ask why. Same as I did with curved TVs (look how popular they are!). 3D I almost got, but it was usually a horrid experience at home. VR has been a slow growth and wearables didn't capture the hearts and minds of most consumers, unless it was about fitness tracking.

The industry has definitely reach saturation point, but we'll see annual releases because networks need to push something new regularly, and there are always people upgrading from a phone 24 months ago to make it worthwhile. I wish more people went SIM only, and growth has been huge - but still a way to go. EE seems to be trying to put people off by restricting data speeds at home and abroad on the SIM only plans, compared to contract plans. Very cheeky and I hope a temporary experiment before seeing sense.

Things like faster LTE speeds, 5G coming in a year or two, and camera improvements do mean the hardcore fans can still change phone every 6 months or so even if 95% of consumers don't (and never did!).

Domh245

Established Member
EE seems to be trying to put people off by restricting data speeds at home and abroad on the SIM only plans, compared to contract plans. Very cheeky and I hope a temporary experiment before seeing sense.

Surely there must be some sort of legal ground against that. The EU tend to be good at coming down in favour of the customer in terms of technical situations (eg the Netflix thing, or Data Roaming), so it might be worth someone trying to bring that to their attention.

AM9

Veteran Member
Surely there must be some sort of legal ground against that. The EU tend to be good at coming down in favour of the customer in terms of technical situations (eg the Netflix thing, or Data Roaming), so it might be worth someone trying to bring that to their attention.

I don't think so. There's always been a pecking order of contracts refected in access priority and speeds within the main providers users. The issue is that most people only think that they need to be in the top tier which is why the upselling of contracts is there.

bussnapperwm

Established Member
Something in the Sony XPERIA line. I just like to recommend that whenever I can!

I'd recommend anything from the Samsung Galaxy or Sony Xperia range. I've had phones from both and never had an issue with either.

Sony makes good hardware, but their software update frequency leaves a lot to be desired.

Had an XPERIA Z1 once and after every software update, the battery would go normally from 100-75%, then go directly to 0%.

Spent more time having warranty repairs than it was in service.

I upgraded to a S6 and had no problems with it at all (it has since been cascaded to my brother with a S8 replacing it)I

The Galaxy Ace series was another good phone

najaB

Veteran Member
Had an XPERIA Z1 once and after every software update, the battery would go normally from 100-75%, then go directly to 0%.
That sounds about right for an Xperia device - decent hardware let down by dodgy software updates.

Bromley boy

Established Member

You tell me.

How do your little feet suit the pedal box of that big Jag of yours :D ?!

On a serious note, I will admit iPhones are probably overrated. I’m not sure I will go for another.

I had a horrendous HTC experience, back in the day, which converted me to Apple. These days, increasingly, friends of mine have non-Apple phones which do everything mine does but cost a lot less...

Last edited:

jon0844

Veteran Member

I don't think this comes under net neutrality rules, as they offer different speeds on different plans. The Max plans, which are uncapped (well, there IS a cap but it's really high) are simply no longer offered on a 30 or 12 month contract without a handset.

This has never been the case before, and users on non-Max plans will also find that speeds are capped at 2Mbps when roaming (upload and download). Sometimes a foreign network will ignore the request to limit the speed, and it's the roaming bit (within the EU) that is perhaps going to attract the attention of Ofcom, but that's about it.

EM2

Established Member
Sorry (a bit) to reawaken this thread, but I'm coming to the end of contract and having a look at what's available on my network (EE).
One phone that seems to be reasonable value is the HTC U11 Life, which is apparently an Android One handset. How does this differ from any other Android phone?

nlogax

Established Member
..which is apparently an Android One handset. How does this differ from any other Android phone?

A clean, uniform Android experience with no additional manufacturer bloatware or software fluff. Also you're guaranteed two years of Android updates from Google. I've had a Nokia 7 Plus for a couple of weeks now - also on Android One - and so far it's been a pretty happy phone experience.

Last edited:

Adsy125

Sorry (a bit) to reawaken this thread, but I'm coming to the end of contract and having a look at what's available on my network (EE).
One phone that seems to be reasonable value is the HTC U11 Life, which is apparently an Android One handset. How does this differ from any other Android phone?
If I were you, having a quick look at the specs sheet, I would go for a Nokia 7 Plus or Moto G6 series phone(probably plus, I have one and it's great) , which are better and cheaper. The Nokia has android one but the Motorola has a pretty stock android with some helpful additions.

EM2

Established Member
Motorola not available on EE and the Nokia is £17 a month more expensive than the HTC. Although the Nokia is 64GB compared to the HTC's 32GB, the latter is enough for my needs.

nlogax

Established Member
Tbf HTC did a pretty decent job of delivering an uncluttered Android experience on their handsets even before Android One hit the mainstream. But yes, with Android One all the apps are stock Google ones including Contacts, Messaging etc. Much neater I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.