• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New Phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
Right. Looks like my trusty Samsung Galaxy S6 of 2.5 years has given up. Was on charge in the kitchen at 89%, unplugged it and went to switch it on in the living room. Nothing. Not a thing.

This was an hour ago, and it's still lifeless. I'm going to take it into Samsung tomorrow to look at repairing it-however if they want an exorbitant amount, the screen is also cracked at the top-and I suspect they'd want to replace that, then I'll be looking at getting a new phone.

Any reccomendations? I need a decent camera and a lot of memory, or something with an SD card-and something not too expensive...

I'd like to hope it's playing a very late April Fool on me, but I fear that's not the case!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

najaB

Veteran Member
I second the Moto suggestion (though for me it would have to be the G5S since I use Google Pay and the G5 doesn't have NFC) and throw in the Huawei P8. Pretty decent hardware spec for around £130 SIM free.

AM9

Veteran Member
The Moto G(n) also. Had the original Moto G and currently happy with a Moto G3. They all come with vanilla Android avoiding the non-uninstallable Samsung baggage that I've never found any need for. Origonal G still works and is used as a bedside radio/iPlayer viewer.

Adsy125

If you can, wait until the Moto G6 series is released and either buy that or a G5 which will probably become cheaper.

TheEdge

Established Member
Something in the Sony XPERIA line. I just like to recommend that whenever I can!

Established Member
I'd recommend anything from the Samsung Galaxy or Sony Xperia range. I've had phones from both and never had an issue with either.

najaB

Veteran Member
Today I bought something called a galaxy S9. I got a good deal on it.
I'm not sure that you did - you might have got a good price for a S9 but I'm not convinced that it's a deal. There are better phones available for less money.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I'm not sure that you did - you might have got a good price for a S9 but I'm not convinced that it's a deal. There are better phones available for less money.

I did ok. I don't like Apple and this offered the best price and package on Android. Good negotiation, staff discount and a desire for my current provider to get me off my previous tariff always help. ;)

cactustwirly

Established Member
I'd go for a OnePlus 5, although they're a bit on the expensive side, you get an iPhone 8 specced phone for about half the price.
You also get a brilliant version of almost stock android.

In terms of image quality, have a look at this:

IMG_20180411_145500 by litecactus, on Flickr

IMG_20180328_162218 by litecactus, on Flickr

If you're looking for good image quality, then I'd get a used DSLR off eBay, for about £200.
The image quality is so much better than a smartphone!

DSC_0654 by litecactus, on Flickr

DSC_0751 by litecactus, on Flickr

Last edited:

LAX54

Established Member
I'd go for a OnePlus 5, although they're a bit on the expensive side, you get an iPhone 8 specced phone for about half the price.
You also get a brilliant version of almost stock android.

I
If you're looking for good image quality, then I'd get a used DLSR off eBay, for about £200.
The image quality is so much better than a smartphone!

Agreed, of course they always go on about megapixel this and that, but never mention the tiny sensor, the pictures are good for what they are, and are really just a modern version of an instamatic 'snap', but for good quality photos a DSLR will be hard to beat, and also a good Bridge Camera.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Agreed, of course they always go on about megapixel this and that, but never mention the tiny sensor, the pictures are good for what they are, and are really just a modern version of an instamatic 'snap', but for good quality photos a DSLR will be hard to beat, and also a good Bridge Camera.

Where the phone wins out, though - any phone - is that the best camera in the world is the one you have with you when something worth photographing takes place.

cactustwirly

Established Member
Where the phone wins out, though - any phone - is that the best camera in the world is the one you have with you when something worth photographing takes place.

True, which is why I use both...

My phone for quick snaps, and my DSLR for Holidays, trips etc.

fowler9

Established Member
While people mentioned the Moto G I have what I think is the G2. Within 6 months of getting it (About two years ago) I needed to update WhatsApp which I use a lot. I had to delete loads of stuff. About a year later WhatsApp needed to be updated again and this time I had to loose Facebook Messenger to fit it on. This meant the only none as bought apps left on my phone were Arriva buses, National Rail, Flightradar24, Facebook and WhatsApp. I need to update WhatsApp again this week which I am confident will leave me with no apps other than WhatsApp and the stuff you need to make the phone work. Anyone know if the latest MotoG is any better as that was a massive dissappointment.

najaB

Veteran Member
Anyone know if the latest MotoG is any better as that was a massive dissappointment.
The G5S has 32GB of storage and can be expanded to 256GB with a SD card. There's no reason why you should run out of memory.

fowler9

Established Member
The G5S has 32GB of storage and can be expanded to 256GB with a SD card. There's no reason why you should run out of memory.
Cheers mate, I am far from an expert on such things but the current one struggles to run Apps and did do from early on. It's not really related to me having loads of photos on the phone. Does what you say mean it could cope with various Apps if I manage the photos I do have on there? What I have now is going to be an elaborate Nokia 3210 in a week because it can't handle updates on a couple of Apps.

Domh245

Established Member
Cheers mate, I am far from an expert on such things but the current one struggles to run Apps and did do from early on. It's not really related to me having loads of photos on the phone. Does what you say mean it could cope with various Apps if I manage the photos I do have on there? What I have now is going to be an elaborate Nokia 3210 in a week because it can't handle updates on a couple of Apps.

My g5s has got 97 apps installed, using a total of 6.49GB. Accounting for other things on the internal memory (system, cached data, etc) , I've still got half of it left to play with. I also have my SD card in it, which is where I store photos taken with the camera, music, podcasts, etc - where I've used 4GB out of 15. Compared to my previous phone (Moto g3), where towards the end it wasn't even able to sync emails in the background because it'd run out of space despite getting rid of every unnecessary app, it's night and day!

fowler9

Established Member
My g5s has got 97 apps installed, using a total of 6.49GB. Accounting for other things on the internal memory (system, cached data, etc) , I've still got half of it left to play with. I also have my SD card in it, which is where I store photos taken with the camera, music, podcasts, etc - where I've used 4GB out of 15. Compared to my previous phone (Moto g3), where towards the end it wasn't even able to sync emails in the background because it'd run out of space despite getting rid of every unnecessary app, it's night and day!
Cheers mate, much appreciated. I have been wondering what to do next as like I said the G2 could run naff all six months after I got it and still had to pay for it for another year and a half.

BlueFox

While people mentioned the Moto G I have what I think is the G2. Within 6 months of getting it (About two years ago) I needed to update WhatsApp which I use a lot. I had to delete loads of stuff. About a year later WhatsApp needed to be updated again and this time I had to loose Facebook Messenger to fit it on. This meant the only none as bought apps left on my phone were Arriva buses, National Rail, Flightradar24, Facebook and WhatsApp. I need to update WhatsApp again this week which I am confident will leave me with no apps other than WhatsApp and the stuff you need to make the phone work. Anyone know if the latest MotoG is any better as that was a massive dissappointment.

You should be able to move apps to the micro SD card (assuming you have one - if not, you really should have one in a phone that's not got much built in storage)

Information here: https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/indevice_detail/a_id/114711/p/30,6720,9151

fowler9

Established Member
You should be able to move apps to the micro SD card (assuming you have one - if not, you really should have one in a phone that's not got much built in storage)

Information here: https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/indevice_detail/a_id/114711/p/30,6720,9151
Yeah I follow that. Would you say it is normal for a modern smart phone to not be able to cope with Facebook, Facebook Messenger and WhatsApp? Those and nothing else or in my case not even all three?

Status
Not open for further replies.