• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New Rail Staff online booking site is now live

Status
Not open for further replies.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Anyone know how you'd request a refund?

Scenario-
Train A failed, from let's say 'Demic Trains Ltd'
Train B is the next, 'Lastlegs Trains Ltd', my employer, so no ticket is needed.

Not too obvious how to request or perform a refund.
If you decided not to travel, then you go back to RSTL and request a refund in the usual way. Same as any other WebTIS/MixingDeck based site.

If you did travel but were sufficiently delayed, claim compensation from Demic Trains.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
If the delay was an hour it might actually be better for you that you did use the ticket on your employer and claimed Delay Repay, rather than refunding down to a shorter ticket. You're entitled to free travel, it doesn't mean you have to use it, just like being entitled to Priv doesn't remove your entitlement to pay full price and travel as a member of the public.

Established Member
If you decided not to travel, then you go back to RSTL and request a refund in the usual way. Same as any other WebTIS/MixingDeck based site.

If you did travel but were sufficiently delayed, claim compensation from Demic Trains.
Just seems there's no option on the RDG site to do precisely that - at least that I can see anyway.

Also spotted another glitch earlier... May only be on one flow... Selecting CDR offers an e-ticket. Selecting SVR offered collect at station only.

skyhigh

Established Member
Just seems there's no option on the RDG site to do precisely that - at least that I can see anyway.
There is a 'contact us' button on the bottom of the page. Click that and use the details there to contact them and request a refund.

Established Member
There is a 'contact us' button on the bottom of the page. Click that and use the details there to contact them and request a refund.
Brilliant cheers, will try that.

CyrusWuff

Established Member
On railstafftravel.com go into "Your Account", then "Your Bookings", find the relevant ticket and click on "View".

That should give you the details along with a dropdown labelled "I would like to:" with the option to View or Request a refund for the journey.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor

Also spotted another glitch earlier... May only be on one flow... Selecting CDR offers an e-ticket. Selecting SVR offered collect at station only.
Which flow is this? Generally they will offer e-tickets wherever they've been enabled, the same as any other retailer. There certainly are examples where different ticket types on the same flow - despite having the same route code - have different e-ticket availability.

Established Member
Which flow is this? Generally they will offer e-tickets wherever they've been enabled, the same as any other retailer. There certainly are examples where different ticket types on the same flow - despite having the same route code - have different e-ticket availability.
Twas MAN-CTR.

Just to double check it, I added a CDR first (e-ticket available) but when adding a SVR "this delivery option is no longer available". Probably more to do with me and technology but hey ho.

On railstafftravel.com go into "Your Account", then "Your Bookings", find the relevant ticket and click on "View".

That should give you the details along with a dropdown labelled "I would like to:" with the option to View or Request a refund for the journey.
Much appreciated

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Twas MAN-CTR.

Just to double check it, I added a CDR first (e-ticket available) but when adding a SVR "this delivery option is no longer available". Probably more to do with me and technology but hey ho
Ah, well this one's a bit different.

The SVR is Any Permitted, hence set by TfW. They have an inexplicable aversion to e-tickets and so disable them for all their walk-up flows (even though they don't object to other TOCs enabling them for flows which could include travel on TfW, unlike Merseyrail).

There's no Any Permitted CDR - only Northern only or Avanti only. Both of these are available as e-tickets.

So this isn't actually an example of differing e-ticket availability purely by ticket type, it's really down to the route. I've deduced this from the information available on this part of the NRE site. However, there are some flows (particularly in GTR-land) where availability does vary by CDR vs CBB for instance.

Established Member
Ah, well this one's a bit different.

The SVR is Any Permitted, hence set by TfW. They have an inexplicable aversion to e-tickets and so disable them for all their walk-up flows (even though they don't object to other TOCs enabling them for flows which could include travel on TfW, unlike Merseyrail).

There's no Any Permitted CDR - only Northern only or Avanti only. Both of these are available as e-tickets.

So this isn't actually an example of differing e-ticket availability purely by ticket type, it's really down to the route. I've deduced this from the information available on this part of the NRE site. However, there are some flows (particularly in GTR-land) where availability does vary by CDR vs CBB for instance.
Apols, just checked - it's SDR.

Parallel

Established Member
Many TfW flows don't have e-tickets available. I tried to book some for South Wales some time ago on the GWR app and it said there were no delivery options available. So I used the TfW app and the journey I wanted to make was available as an m-ticket.

Established Member

Finally found the dropdown. It's only available in desktop mode, not mobile view.

However, the dropdown only offers 'view ticket' so I guess in some circumstances you can select request a refund - but possibly only prior to departure - no use if the train didn't actually depart (driver suggested the train was.. 'dearly departed').

I'll email them, see where I get. Thanks all

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Apols, just checked - it's SDR.

The LNR app is happy to do either as an e-ticket, but isn't there that thing about Trainline using its own list rather than what everyone else is, and it's definitely a Trainline white label?

Finally found the dropdown. It's only available in desktop mode, not mobile view.

However, the dropdown only offers 'view ticket' so I guess in some circumstances you can select request a refund - but possibly only prior to departure - no use if the train didn't actually depart (driver suggested the train was.. 'dearly departed').

I'll email them, see where I get. Thanks all

Normally refunds due to disruption where you didn't travel or only partly travelled go via customer services anyway.

387star

On Moderation
One bad thing about rst is if you're buying normal tickets with your priv it will offer the normal ticket priced higher than if it was bought on there individually (the same ticket type as your Priv is reduced from) which isn't good when you want to sit together.

Also worth noting priv is not valid on advances and they can be cheaper

There appear to be differences in tickets shown depending if you use the desktop or mobile version? The latter is far better

Last edited:

EC54

Just recently came across this and have received my one off code to register.
( Using seat reservations for travel using 'boxes'?)
Trying to reserve 2 places on a cross country train in may all within the stipulated 12 weeks.
Other websites taking reservations including Cross country, however its not allowing me to reserve 2 actual seats but says i can still reserve tickets for the actual journey but dont see anyway to do this.? Anyone any advice.

ge-gn

There’s a check box on the left hand side in the journey planner bit.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Just recently came across this and have received my one off code to register.
( Using seat reservations for travel using 'boxes'?)
Trying to reserve 2 places on a cross country train in may all within the stipulated 12 weeks.
Other websites taking reservations including Cross country, however its not allowing me to reserve 2 actual seats but says i can still reserve tickets for the actual journey but dont see anyway to do this.? Anyone any advice.
What is the journey you're trying to make, and on which date?

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
May 5th 15:39 Wolverhampton to Southampton ( Cross country)
It's not yet possible to make a seat reservation for that journey; it is too far in advance. The 12 week horizon for booking Advances and seat reservations is, for most TOCs and routes, ancient history.

You can see the dates up until which each TOC has released Advances (and thus seat reservations) on this NRE page. XC have only released seats until 7 April, so you will likely have to wait another month before seats become available on your travel dates.

You can still buy a ticket now, but you'll only be able to buy walk-up tickets. The only advantage of buying them now as opposed to waiting until seats are released, is that you will benefit from the lower current prices - fares will increase on 5 March.

EC54

It's not yet possible to make a seat reservation for that journey; it is too far in advance. The 12 week horizon for booking Advances and seat reservations is, for most TOCs and routes, ancient history.

You can see the dates up until which each TOC has released Advances (and thus seat reservations) on this NRE page. XC have only released seats until 7 April, so you will likely have to wait another month before seats become available on your travel dates.

You can still buy a ticket now, but you'll only be able to buy walk-up tickets. The only advantage of buying them now as opposed to waiting until seats are released, is that you will benefit from the lower current prices - fares will increase on 5 March.
Ok thanks for that Watershed its strange because i have already reserved seats between Edinburgh Waverley and Wolverhampton on the 1st part of my journey on May 5th but according to the NRE page Avanti west coast only shows to April 28th as being up to booking any reservations.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Ok thanks for that Watershed its strange because i have already reserved seats between Edinburgh Waverley and Wolverhampton on the 1st part of my journey on May 5th but according to the NRE page Avanti west coast only shows to April 28th as being up to booking any reservations.
That page is frequently not updated immediately when new tickets are released. It's usually wise to look a few days ahead of the dates it says to be sure.

EC54

Just to check this is it a fact when you cant reserve a seat at the moment and also cant use your travel pass ( date in box on the day) for free travel then you have no option other than hope seat reservations do eventually open and there are seats left
and if they dont then you may well turn up for that train which could be fully booked and you cant get on it. , so your staff travel card hasnt been any use on that day.
The reason i ask is i have used my staff travel pass on numerous occasions before and never had a problem reserving seats within 12 weeks of travel.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Just to check this is it a fact when you cant reserve a seat at the moment and also cant use your travel pass ( date in box on the day) for free travel then you have no option other than hope seat reservations do eventually open and there are seats left
and if they dont then you may well turn up for that train which could be fully booked and you cant get on it. , so your staff travel card hasnt been any use on that day.
The reason i ask is i have used my staff travel pass on numerous occasions before and never had a problem reserving seats within 12 weeks of travel.
You don't need a seat reservation use your travel facilities; you only have to make a reservation if you want to guarantee a seat.

The RSTL Staff Travel Restrictions document lists the handful of trains on which travel facilities aren't valid. Page 13 lists the only such XC services (there are two each day - they are different depending on the day of the week). So unless you were planning to use one of these services, I'm unsure why you would be unable to use your boxes for free travel?

Unfortunately it is correct that seat reservations are generally no longer released 12 weeks before travel, as was the aim before Covid. They now tend to be released around 6-8 weeks in advance.

You can sign up to alerts on the CrossCountry website to find out when they release Advances, and thus seat reservations. However, unless there is a major event on (such as Reading Festival, rugby, football etc.) then as long as you get your reservation at least a couple of days in advance, it is extremely unlikely that all seats would already have gone.

EC54

You don't need a seat reservation use your travel facilities; you only have to make a reservation if you want to guarantee a seat.

The RSTL Staff Travel Restrictions document lists the handful of trains on which travel facilities aren't valid. Page 13 lists the only such XC services (there are two each day - they are different depending on the day of the week). So unless you were planning to use one of these services, I'm unsure why you would be unable to use your boxes for free travel?

Unfortunately it is correct that seat reservations are generally no longer released 12 weeks before travel, as was the aim before Covid. They now tend to be released around 6-8 weeks in advance.

You can sign up to alerts on the CrossCountry website to find out when they release Advances, and thus seat reservations. However, unless there is a major event on (such as Reading Festival, rugby, football etc.) then as long as you get your reservation at least a couple of days in advance, it is extremely unlikely that all seats would already have gone.
Did actually sign up to CrossCountry alerts and received email today
Hello,

"We are pleased to inform you that advance single tickets for your single journey from Wolverhampton to Southampton Airport Parkway on 5 May 2023 are now available to buy on CrossCountryTrains.co.uk."
However when I went back on to RST online it still doesn't let you reserve seats. I clicked the zero fare and the train I want to get then a
Message in red letters comes up there are no seats available to reserve for your chosen ticket on the chosen service You can buy this ticket without reservations or you can change your service or ticket selection using the return to search button on the left. ( Which I don't see)

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Did actually sign up to CrossCountry alerts and received email today
Hello,

"We are pleased to inform you that advance single tickets for your single journey from Wolverhampton to Southampton Airport Parkway on 5 May 2023 are now available to buy on CrossCountryTrains.co.uk."
However when I went back on to RST online it still doesn't let you reserve seats. I clicked the zero fare and the train I want to get then a
Message in red letters comes up there are no seats available to reserve for your chosen ticket on the chosen service You can buy this ticket without reservations or you can change your service or ticket selection using the return to search button on the left. ( Which I don't see)
It looks like the alerts system isn't working correctly, as there aren't any seat reservations available for that, or other XC trains yet - even if you want to buy a public-rate ticket. Like I say, I would wait another four weeks and then try again.

Any idea how you book a sleeper on the website. It works ok for one person , but when I do a journey for 2 it only throws up the public fare

387star

On Moderation
Are super off peak day returns sometimes only valid from station x to y not from y to x? In this case y is London Victoria so it seems you can only buy the cheaper return for travel towards London?

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Are super off peak day returns sometimes only valid from station x to y not from y to x? In this case y is London Victoria so it seems you can only buy the cheaper return for travel towards London?
That is sometimes the case but it applies equally to normal paying customers as well as those travelling on PRIV discounted tickets.

Status
Not open for further replies.