• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New S7 Underground stock

Status
Not open for further replies.

TEW

Established Member
how fire safe is this as it has no doors between carriages?

Even if the lack of doors means a fire wouldn't be contained as much surely the fact that you could easily move along the train mitigates against that fact. With traditional tube carriages with end doors the only realistic means of escape in a fire would be on to the track which is far from an ideal, having to evacuate a carriage worth of people through those end doors would take a while I imagine. With S Stock you can relatively easily and quickly move away from the fire.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jon0844

Veteran Member
Yeah, it's not as if a fire is going to spread that fast. In most cases, I'd expect a fire would either burn itself out or smoulder and little else. Unless someone introduced some sort of accelerant - and even then, you'd probably need rather a lot.

tsr

Established Member
I'm not sure about the S stock but the Desiro City is designed to contain the fire in one carriage and vent the smoke through the air con in that carriage (through the roof) to provide as long as possible for passengers to escape.

In the case of any train, but specifically in your example the 700s, there are some flaws with that, should the train need to be evacuated into an enclosed station (City Thameslink and St Pancras Low-Level spring to mind!) or if the air is drawn into the train again when it's in a tunnel (though I seem to recall there is a filtering system to prevent that, unless the doors are open - I could be wrong on that; not sure!).

I'm not saying those stations don't have smoke extraction kit, but then again, it's always best not to have a train belching* smoke into a tunnel/subsurface area. Inflatable ceiling-mounted booms could prevent the rising smoke from flowing along the top of the train's interior, but I know that was suggested by someone to Siemens, and I'm not sure how far they got with it, if at all. I believe another poster on this forum did raise the idea first.

*Worst case scenario!

Last edited:

Class377/5

Established Member
In the case of any train, but specifically in your example the 700s, there are some flaws with that, should the train need to be evacuated into an enclosed station (City Thameslink and St Pancras Low-Level spring to mind!) or if the air is drawn into the train again when it's in a tunnel (though I seem to recall there is a filtering system to prevent that, unless the doors are open - I could be wrong on that; not sure!).

I'm not saying those stations don't have smoke extraction kit, but then again, it's always best not to have a train belching* smoke into a tunnel/subsurface area. Inflatable ceiling-mounted booms could prevent the rising smoke from flowing along the top of the train's interior, but I know that was suggested by someone to Siemens, and I'm not sure how far they got with it, if at all. I believe another poster on this forum did raise the idea first.

*Worst case scenario!

City Thameslink has fans capable of removing smoke at and impressive rate, not that tunnel is longer than an 8 car any way.

St Pancras tunnel is a bit longer but as the tunnel is on a slope the smoke will go one way. The priority is to keep the in train environment safe so you can escape the smoke.

I'm not 100% sure if it does the same in the Core tbh as I didn't chat to Siemens about that.

Dstock7080

Established Member
We had 21415/6 on it's mileage accumulation run on the Met last Thursday so wouldn't be surprised if that was out soon.
Went into service Tues 18 March, the day you posted that Daniel.
After a slight lull in deliveries, 21417/18 delivered yesterday.

Nym

Established Member
Went into service Tues 18 March, the day you posted that Daniel.
After a slight lull in deliveries, 21417/18 delivered yesterday.

One is wondering if Ealing Common will be finished in time for the deliveries to continue, seems to be progressing whenever I'm going by... But I don't think it's anywhere near internal fit-out yet.

Dstock7080

Established Member
A countdown clock on the Sub-Surface Upgrade intranet site shows 47days to S7 acceptance at ECom.
Certification for passenger running to/from Earl's Court-Ealing Broadway should be given very shortly, following recent test runs.

tranzitjim

How is the roll out going with the other lines.

Are Circle, Hammersmith/City and Wimbleares now operated only with S7 stock yet?

Dstock7080

Established Member
How is the roll out going with the other lines.

Are Circle, Hammersmith/City and Wimbleares now operated only with S7 stock yet?
All H&C and Circle Line trains are scheduled for S7s.

Currently 4 (of 8) trains are S7 on the Wimbledon-Edgware Rd service. This will change to 7 trains from morning of 3 June and all 8 trains from afternoon of 3 June.

S7s are now running empty training trips to Ealing Broadway M-F mornings, passenger certification should be given soon which will allow diversion of Wimbledon trains. No scheduled passenger trains yet.

Last edited:

simple simon

Its not that I'm in a rush to see the back of the D stock, but I am waiting for S Stock trains to use the Richmond branch. I have some 1990's video from Kew Gardens station which I'll only place on my youtube channel when I can make a film which includes at least one S Stock train as well.

I can wait for 2015 - I have plenty of other footage (from other locations) to use in the meantime.

Simon

Last edited:

Dstock7080

Established Member
Its not that I'm in a rush to see the back of the D stock, but I am waiting for S Stock trains to use the Richmond branch.
Simon
Test running in daylight hours now taking place: https://www.flickr.com/photos/juliang2006/14303235851/in/photostream

Passenger operations to Ealing commence Friday 13 June, with an additional train running 2 trips to each during the midday off-peak period.
Passenger operations to Richmond commence Tuesday 17 June, with an additional train running 2 trips to each during the midday off-peak period.

21415/16 arrived Ealing Broadway 11.52 today 13 June, first passenger S7 Stock.
21399/400 arrived at Richmond today 17 June, first passenger S7 Stock.

Last edited:

tranzitjim

How long before we can expect D stock to be withdrawn because of the S stock?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Does anyone have a destination sign index for the S stock?

Domh245

Established Member
First D stock withdrawals are supposed to be at the start of next year. As for destination index, I believe that all trains have a common system, which is capable of showing all standard termination points ( and quite possibly all other stations on a route) so you could have a district line train showing a met destination, and likwise, S8s showing other destinations - I've also seen S7s having an S8 style setup where it is an "all stations" Edgware road service, I for one didn't know that there were fasts!

Dstock7080

Established Member
S Stock can only show reversing points, they are unable to show intermediate stations as D Stock can.

There are currently 229 District Line codes for S7 Stock, too many i fear to list here!

a snippet at the first 10, gives you an idea:
700 Aldgate East from UPM
701 Barons Court Dist from ERd
702 Barons Court Dist from UPM
703 Barons Court from UPM NS CSt
704 Barking Dist from UPM
705 Bromley-by-Bow Dist from UPM
706 Dagenham East Dist from UPM
707 Ealing Broadway Dist from ERd
708 Ealing Broadway Dist from UPM
709 Ealing Broadway Dist from UPM NS CSt
710 Ealing Common Dist from ERd

Last edited:

jon0844

Veteran Member
I saw a District line train at Edgware Road where the first carriage had a code before the line name on the side display (didn't see the front). D7 I think it might have been (that is 'D7 District Line'), bit not on the other side displays further along that only said 'District Line'.

Dstock7080

Established Member
I saw a District line train at Edgware Road where the first carriage had a code before the line name on the side display (didn't see the front). D7 I think it might have been (that is 'D7 District Line'), bit not on the other side displays further along that only said 'District Line'.
On S Stock when both Master Control Switches are in 'shutdown', therefore no drivers keys are inserted, both end cars will display on the sides the last train number used. This is so that at relieving points, with the leading cab possibly just inside the tunnel, the relieving driver can identify the correct train. In this example eg.: 073 District line

Manchester77

Established Member
Are S7s now cleared for full district use yet or is further work required on the East end up to Upminster (with the platform equipment etc?)

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Had my first journey on an S7 on Sunday, on the District Libe from Earls Court to Paddington. Didn't even know they were used on the District Line yet!

Dstock7080

Established Member
Are S7s now cleared for full district use yet or is further work required on the East end up to Upminster (with the platform equipment etc?)
The platform equipment is now in place, just awaiting signal immunisation work to be completed in September.
Driver training at Barking begins in 8 September so the hope is to have some running beyond there soon after that.

Manchester77

Established Member
The platform equipment is now in place, just awaiting signal immunisation work to be completed in September.
Driver training at Barking begins in 8 September so the hope is to have some running beyond there soon after that.

Thanks are the current S7s which use the district based at Lille Bridge then?

joeykins82

Had my first journey on an S7 on Sunday, on the District Libe from Earls Court to Paddington. Didn't even know they were used on the District Line yet!
Yeah S7s operate all Wimbledon-Edgware Road District line services having replaced the C stock, there's a couple of S7s doing District line services between Plaistow and Olympia or Parson's Green (I got one on my way in to work this morning which was quite welcome in the heatwave)

Domh245

Established Member
Thanks are the current S7s which use the district based at Lille Bridge then?

Each day, there are 2 trains which start from Hammersmith (driven to Edgware Road by a H&C/Circle T/Op, then taken over by a district T/Op), 2 from lille bridge, 1 from Triangle sidings, and 3 from Parsons Green. The drivers are all "West End" ie Earls Court and Acton Town drivers, as they are the only depots with route knowledge of the Edgware Road branch

Mikey C

Established Member
As there seems to be quite a gap between the last C stock being replaced and the first D stock, what's happening at Derby at the moment? Have they slowed production, or are the finished S7s being stored somewhere?

jon0844

Veteran Member
As there seems to be quite a gap between the last C stock being replaced and the first D stock, what's happening at Derby at the moment? Have they slowed production, or are the finished S7s being stored somewhere?

Aren't they still busy fixing the earlier ones? :D

Domh245

Established Member
As Far as I'm aware, some of the S8s are still due to go back to get their fixes, but production is still the same pace, the trains are accumulating around the Test Track at Old Dalby, as well as at Litchurch Lane itself. There haven't been any deliveries since Early June, and I think that there are still various S7s being parked up in various depots (such as Northfields)

Status
Not open for further replies.