• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New South Western franchise: Awarded to First/MTR

Status
Not open for further replies.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Personally, I'd prefer the Southamptons to run through to/from the Harbour all day as well.

Probably not the best way to use limited space at Harbour given that South Hants locals stay there for the best part of an hour in most cases.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Probably not the best way to use limited space at Harbour given that South Hants locals stay there for the best part of an hour in most cases.

In the peaks in earlier timetables I'm fairly sure they just sat at the buffers with the GWR Cardiff coming in behind them, so that probably wouldn't be difficult or cause any limitations.

But at the moment the peak Southamptons interwork with other routes - presumably that could extend into more hours if they really needed to...

infobleep

Veteran Member
Skip-stopping is obviously very bad for people making local journeys, but I don't know how many of those there are on that line.
They do it on the North Downs Line. Not great if a service is cancelled, as the next one might be two hours away. There are help points but they connect to National Rail Enquiries and not GWR.

Nammer

The only time a 2Exx stopper Southampton sits on the buffers/blocks end at PMH with a GWR on top is Saturdays 1723 GWR and 1733 SOU. It used to happen on Mon - Fri up til about 2 years ago. Most 2Exx stoppers coming into PMH in the Mon - Fri peaks attach to form 1Txx Waterloo via Eastleigh services and 1Txx coming in form 2Exx stopper Southamptons on return.

Mainline421

That sounds like "Dynamic Lines", which much as I like it is basically dead as a livery. I would expect gSWr or similar, though First being First they might surprise us with something completely bizarre like Horizon Trains that was going to be used for the WCML.

The name has been confirmed as South Western Railway in the staff roadshow presentation.
n4PsFnP.png

Currently all signs seem to point a blue based livery, though yes I would very surprised to see dynamic lines.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member

Well, sadly I can't do this because I always travel using tickets only valid with SWT because I get them free, but if you aren't the same it would be much easier to just take GWR direct or even SN to Cosham and change than to sit on the SWT stopper to Southsea and change/walk! Besides the Southampton stopper takes much longer, calls everywhere and is often a 450. I'd much rather get a GWR 158, or even an Electrostar!

pompeyfan

Established Member
Well, sadly I can't do this because I always travel using tickets only valid with SWT because I get them free, but if you aren't the same it would be much easier to just take GWR direct or even SN to Cosham and change than to sit on the SWT stopper to Southsea and change/walk! Besides the Southampton stopper takes much longer, calls everywhere and is often a 450. I'd much rather get a GWR 158, or even an Electrostar!

Unfortunately though, the railway is built to move as many people as efficiently as possible, we'd all like things for a purely selfish reason (apparently Liphook should be served by 2 fast trains an hour(!)) but we work with what we've got. This new semi fast service that SWR are introducing is likely to be a 450 displaced off the Pompey direct. The stopper is due into Fratton at XX:37, with the GWR arriving 7 minutes later to run passengers down the harbour. Agree 20 minutes is 20 minutes but it's not the be all and end all to avoid the stopper.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
sWr then...I think the "big W" could become a nice FirstGroup signature :)

Surely First wouldn't be so boring as to just use the same for all their franchises?

What next? tPe? HT? (not enough letters on the last one) Only joking.

But by sWr ing the SW franchise it takes the special, traditional and uniqueness of the format of gWr away!

Muzer

Established Member
Surely First wouldn't be so boring as to just use the same for all their franchises?

What next? tPe? HT? (not enough letters on the last one) Only joking.

But by sWr ing the SW franchise it takes the special, traditional and uniqueness of the format of gWr away!
I think you have a point here. Though I'm not going to rule it out completely, it would surprise me if First want to ruin the "premium" image of their GWR brand by applying something similar to a "mere" commuter operator.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
What a shame that First didn't win the franchise earlier, I always wanted to see the sW franchise with Dynamic lines trains!

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
The only time a 2Exx stopper Southampton sits on the buffers/blocks end at PMH with a GWR on top is Saturdays 1723 GWR and 1733 SOU. It used to happen on Mon - Fri up til about 2 years ago. Most 2Exx stoppers coming into PMH in the Mon - Fri peaks attach to form 1Txx Waterloo via Eastleigh services and 1Txx coming in form 2Exx stopper Southamptons on return.

That's what I meant by 'in earlier timetables'. Just didn't bother to look up the exact date it changed...

adamello

Unfortunately though, the railway is built to move as many people as efficiently as possible, we'd all like things for a purely selfish reason (apparently Liphook should be served by 2 fast trains an hour(!)) but we work with what we've got. This new semi fast service that SWR are introducing is likely to be a 450 displaced off the Pompey direct. The stopper is due into Fratton at XX:37, with the GWR arriving 7 minutes later to run passengers down the harbour. Agree 20 minutes is 20 minutes but it's not the be all and end all to avoid the stopper.

You mean there won't be a Totton to Waterloo non stop?

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
You mean there won't be a Totton to Waterloo non stop?

Totton has nothing do with Portsmouth Direct Line services.

Besides, Totton is a minor station on the SWML. A nonstop service will almost never happen.

If you were joking sorry :lol: I'm quite gullible.

pompeyfan

Established Member
There's a plan to run a diesel service from Totton loop to Waterloo calling at Totton and Liphook only as part of the 2025 franchise commitment.

Suraggu

What a shame that First didn't win the franchise earlier, I always wanted to see the sW franchise with Dynamic lines trains!

If you wanted to see a Desiro in dynamic lines you had plenty of time with Transpennine Express...

Dont forget the 455 fleet has the same origins as the class 150 fleet with FGW had local lines, which again was similar, and the 158's....

Last edited:

pompeyfan

Established Member
I'm hearing on the grapevine that RMT is about to ballot guards in regards to SWT acting in bad faith in terms of spare turns... information is currently limited as it stands.

Dougal2345

Besides the Southampton stopper [...] is often a 450. I'd much rather get a GWR 158, or even an Electrostar!
Good lord, really? What don't you like about 450s?

Unlike the 158s they offer acceptable legroom in all seats (I'm only 6'1" but find I cannot move my legs or use the seatback table in a 158). And of course have none of the rattle and roar and smell of the diesel...

I'd also choose a 158 over an Electrostar... The latter has harder seats, and too many table seats where once again you can't move your legs without kicking the person opposite you. I find the interiors gloomy and claustrophobic too.

450s are light, airy and welcoming, with a good balance of airline and facing seating. The only place where a 450 loses out is its noisy air conditioning, in my view... Please First Group, don't 'refurbish' the interiors into some gloomy colour scheme that changes that...

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
3+2, probably. 350s are nice though.

You know what is coming.

350/2s are even worse than 450s. I wouldn't say 350/1s are that much better, mainly due to their tatty interior. Perhaps red wears much better.

FenMan

Established Member
I'm hearing on the grapevine that RMT is about to ballot guards in regards to SWT acting in bad faith in terms of spare turns... information is currently limited as it stands.

Well they best get a move on, the target of their complaint is only around for another 28 days ...

Rick1984

Hope the livery isn't blue as that's not very original. I'm holding out for a deep red version of the GWR livery.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Hope the livery isn't blue as that's not very original. I'm holding out for a deep red version of the GWR livery.

Dark blue is already carried by 127 450s that will remain with the franchise. About another 85 units that remain are white over a similar blue.

Wonder if that has 'coloured' their decision at all...

Dougal2345

Dark blue is already carried by 127 450s that will remain with the franchise. About another 85 units that remain are white over a similar blue.

Wonder if that has 'coloured' their decision at all...
Can't help thinking that people in SWT land now associate blue with 450s, semi-fast services and so on, so if First paint everything blue it's going to feel like all the expresses have been downgraded.

White/light grey is a great base colour for fast electric trains... DB, RENFE, and Eurostar can't all be wrong (although Eurostar have gone a little more blue recently) so I think it'll be a sad day when someone takes a dark blue paint pot to the 444s...

Status
Not open for further replies.