• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New South Western franchise: Awarded to First/MTR

Status
Not open for further replies.

infobleep

Veteran Member
I see 19,794 people must have liked South West Trains page on Facebook. It now says South Western Railway but still has the South West Trains logo. Here's a photo.
18fe0213b3d7841a64149624eb5ff365.jpg

They still need to update the info section as it's all about South West Trains. I'm sure that will happen in due course.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

infobleep

Veteran Member
The guard on my train has just announced one can tweet him directly. Is this just one guard being helpful or a new policy of SWR? Apologies if it's been mentioned before, I can't remember. Given it's a non commercial guard and it's a 455+455+456, where guards don't walk through the train, could this be a useful addition?

The guard seemed cheerful but I'm sure he's like that most days.

The orange high visibility jackets at the station had the new SWR logo on. I didn't see what the high viz yellow jackets had.

Last edited:

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
This might have already been said (don't have a go at me if it already has) but I got a load of SWR timetables and the Woking - Guildford mini guide says Worplesdoan about ten times!

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Goody bag, from a contact.

Attachments

• IMAG5523.jpg
    IMAG5523.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 394

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Did you find the guy who you spoke to on the last SWT service on this forum? I could have imagined going on that train last night, "Are you bb21?" Probably would have got some puzzled faces.

No, I didn't.

He might not be on the forum.

randompixel

You can definitely tell the website has been thrown together by cloning other sources and rebranding other parts.

Quite a few broken links, a lot of switching back and forth between http and https and the whole smartcard section is still on the southwesttrains domain (I'd imagine with some hasty deletions of code, not to mention the "Renew" button has never worked). The smartcard stuff is also very difficult to find from the main site.

Hopefully over time they'll pull it all together into something a bit more cohesive.

greaterwest

Established Member
Could you please post another pic but just of the long box (what was/is in it?) but angled so that there's no light reflection (might need to possibly turn the flash off)?

The long box contains jelly beans. The mock-up of the livery is in the large book.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Could you please post another pic but just of the long box (what was/is in it?) but angled so that there's no light reflection (might need to possibly turn the flash off)?

I can't unfortunately as it's not mine, but I'll see if I can get hold of one.

As mentioned, they are jelly beans.

sarahj

Established Member
I can't unfortunately as it's not mine, but I'll see if I can get hold of one.

As mentioned, they are jelly beans.

I still have my 377 with jelly beans handed out to us when Southern kept the franchise back in 201?. :lol: We got a print of a 377 crossing the Ouse valley viaduct when it ended.

PudseyBearHST

Hopefully, I'll get to see the goody bag later on today- not sure if there will be any jelly beans left for me by the time it arrives home though ;)

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
It's leased from South West Trains to Siemens. SWT in turn lease it from a depot finance company who themselves lease it from DB Cargo, who lease it from EWSR.

Clear? Good!

You couldn't really make all that up, could you. Presumably one of the many sites EWS were practically given for nothing in 1995?

387star

On Moderation
This depot signage talk reminds me.. When will the old Thames link logos be pulled down from three bridges depot I wonder ?

Monty

Established Member
Goody bag, from a contact.

Since everyone has been showing off their welcome packs I just wanted to state for the record that I have already scoffed my jelly beans. :lol:

Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Those bags look as though they'll be pretty useful for the days you have to remember to bring in your PE kit... :)

Wolfie

Established Member
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/tra...nion-warn-of-industrial-dispute-a3616386.html

"The new operators of one of Britain’s busiest commuter franchises today began its first full day of operations — as union leaders warned of a pending industrial dispute.

South Western Railway, which replaces South West Trains, operates across London and the south of England.

It is a collaboration between UK transport firm FirstGroup and MTR, which runs the Hong Kong metro.

But rail union the RMT today staged a morning peak-time protest at Waterloo, calling on South Western Railway to provide “assurance” they will keep a guard on all their services.

The new operator has pledged to have a second person on board but it is not known exactly what their duties will be.

A FirstGroup spokesman said: “We know that a second member of staff provides assurance to our passengers on trains and ensures we have capable colleagues on board to deliver assistance during the journey for anyone that needs help or advice while travelling on our trains.

“This is why we will always plan to retain two people on our services.”

The Standard understands the RMT’s controlling executive committee will meet to consider declaring a formal dispute with First/MTR in line with its national opposition to driver-only trains, which it claims is unsafe.

Rail industry chiefs insist they are used safely across large parts of the UK.

Andy Mellors, managing director of South Western Railway, said: “I am disappointed that despite our reassurances about retaining two people on our services, the RMT has gone ahead with this protest.”

Commuters face increased disruption at Waterloo from Thursday due to engineering delays caused by last week’s train derailment. Platforms 1-14 will be out of use throughout the Bank Holiday weekend."

Established Member
I still have my 377 with jelly beans handed out to us when Southern kept the franchise back in 201?. :lol: We got a print of a 377 crossing the Ouse valley viaduct when it ended.

This is becoming more and more amazing.

Do all TOCs hand out jelly beans to staff when they take over? Is "jelly beans" a euphemism for something entirely different that shouldn't be mentioned on a family forum? Do they perhaps contain performance-enhancing substances? In which case, I wonder what happened to Monty who tells us in #2779 that he's already scoffed all of his. I think on the whole I'd prefer not to know any more, and let these "jelly beans" remain a mystery of railway life.

Monty

Established Member
my bold and italic

Freudian?:lol:<D

That would be auto correct for you. :oops:

This is becoming more and more amazing.

Do all TOCs hand out jelly beans to staff when they take over? Is "jelly beans" a euphemism for something entirely different that shouldn't be mentioned on a family forum? Do they perhaps contain performance-enhancing substances? In which case, I wonder what happened to Monty who tells us in #2779 that he's already scoffed all of his. I think on the whole I'd prefer not to know any more, and let these "jelly beans" remain a mystery of railway life.

Well I'm still alive if that's what you're wondering. :lol:

spark001uk

Established Member
Spotted first piece of branding! ;)
I agree with others about the R put underneath the SW, it looks a bit naff.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170821-164734.jpg
    Screenshot_20170821-164734.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 240
Last edited:

I expect I am being singularly dim but I find the SWR web site not as useful as SWT Journey Check. I seem unable to find a section that tells me if there are delays to services, short formations, infrastructure or traction problems which was one of the first links you had on the old site. I can only find delay info by selecting a journey and following a selected service. Is there a better way?

Mordac

Established Member
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/tra...nion-warn-of-industrial-dispute-a3616386.html

"The new operators of one of Britain’s busiest commuter franchises today began its first full day of operations — as union leaders warned of a pending industrial dispute.

South Western Railway, which replaces South West Trains, operates across London and the south of England.

It is a collaboration between UK transport firm FirstGroup and MTR, which runs the Hong Kong metro.

But rail union the RMT today staged a morning peak-time protest at Waterloo, calling on South Western Railway to provide “assurance” they will keep a guard on all their services.

The new operator has pledged to have a second person on board but it is not known exactly what their duties will be.

A FirstGroup spokesman said: “We know that a second member of staff provides assurance to our passengers on trains and ensures we have capable colleagues on board to deliver assistance during the journey for anyone that needs help or advice while travelling on our trains.

“This is why we will always plan to retain two people on our services.”

The Standard understands the RMT’s controlling executive committee will meet to consider declaring a formal dispute with First/MTR in line with its national opposition to driver-only trains, which it claims is unsafe.

Rail industry chiefs insist they are used safely across large parts of the UK.

Andy Mellors, managing director of South Western Railway, said: “I am disappointed that despite our reassurances about retaining two people on our services, the RMT has gone ahead with this protest.”

Commuters face increased disruption at Waterloo from Thursday due to engineering delays caused by last week’s train derailment. Platforms 1-14 will be out of use throughout the Bank Holiday weekend."

This has the potential to be really interesting. If SWR does indeed guarantee a second person on the train, as in, it will not operate if the second man is not there, just as currently, but the driver operates the doors... will the RMT still complain? If that's the only change in the role of the guard, then there will no longer be any argument about assisting disabled passengers or having two persons in an emergency.

Status
Not open for further replies.