• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New Virgin East Coast Website

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I can't see any reason to use it, other than to access VTEC's seat selector for their own services.

Likewise, but I've added my Nectar card anyway as they say they'll give me a 100 point bonus just for doing so.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

philthetube

Established Member
As sales fall off, and therefore commission they will realise something is wrong.

infobleep

Veteran Member
A few weeks into using the new site, I am increasingly annoyed by it.

Subjectively, I find the fares matrix much less easy to assess quickly, but more objectively I find that I need more clicks than the old site to achieve the same processes, and buttons which should naturally tend to be towards the right to match the concept of 'progress' are haphazardly scattered in random locations around the screens.

It probably doesn't help that I fell foul of the changeover from the old site to the new site for gift vouchers (when an order was accepted, charged and fulfilled on the old site, generating an 'old' GV code which couldn't be used on the new site, but the old site redemption functionality had already been switched off).

Now, I am finding that almost every attempted purchase on the new site is blighted with either a purchase failure - especially annoying when it's the last AP ticket, and the site doesn't release it back to sale straight away, or this sickly message (after passing AmEx SafeKey):

It feels like they're using some embedded third party payment system, as the CVC code box now loads some time after the payment details pages (itself frustrating and less-smooth than the old site, and (worse) uses Flash).

In any event, jiffies don't help. How long am I supposed to sit about waiting? What is a fraud review? Who's finding this awkward?

I have yet to find anything quicker, easier or better about the new site, then - and a very great deal that's worse. :roll:

Edited to add that it seems not to be reliably issuing WiFi codes for Standard bookings, but always issuing them for First bookings..... :roll: :roll:
Who designs a Web Site with flash in this day and age? I have issues accessing flash at times at work. I think it relates to proxy settings. Google's Chrome browser also has blacklists flash automatically. You have to whitelist it.

Where I work we book our own tickets and clam back the costs.

Not registered at work for the new site. I might do it next time I need to travel on their services and not split my tickets. Wouldn't use it otherwise.

FQTV

By way of warning, I have just discovered and had it confirmed on the telephone (with a not completely surprising lack of empathy), that it's not possible to amend an Advance booking on the new website.

The only way to amend an Advance booking made on the new site is to do so at 'a station' or by calling. Three attempts at the latter resulted in wait times of 40 minutes (gave up), 40 minutes (gave up) and 45 minutes (got through).

Joe Paxton

Established Member
By way of warning, I have just discovered and had it confirmed on the telephone (with a not completely surprising lack of empathy), that it's not possible to amend an Advance booking on the new website.

The only way to amend an Advance booking made on the new site is to do so at 'a station' or by calling. Three attempts at the latter resulted in wait times of 40 minutes (gave up), 40 minutes (gave up) and 45 minutes (got through).

Ouch! Not good, not good at all.

I don't know if back in its very early days of web retail whether the Trainline had an amendment process for advance purchase tickets, but it has certainly had one for years and years.

Makes Crosscountry's 'no-fee for amending Advance tickets' offering even more attractive.

Metroman62

My wife used the site yesterday for the first time and hated it. There seemed to be no way to save a ticket and then buy another for another journey and to pay for them all in one transaction and have them posted to her in one package. She gave up and went to the old site.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dave87016

Established Member
Not a fan of the new site it looks like they have tried to fix something that wasn't broken in the first place

Once the old site ceases to exist then unless there are significant improvements on the new website I shall be booking my tickets elsewhere

Joe Paxton

Established Member
Not a fan of the new site it looks like they have tried to fix something that wasn't broken in the first place

I suspect at least partly the 'thing that was broken' in VTEC's eyes was the licensing fee they had to pay to Worldline (nee Atos) for the use of their WebTIS product.

Probably much the same reason why Govia switched its TOCs over to a new online booking system built by a company they part own (On Track Retail, a 50/50 joint venture between Go-Ahead Group and Assertis).

Joe Paxton

Established Member
The plan will be Anything But Virgin from Monday, then.

Worth noting there is one ticket you can only buy on the VTEC site, and that's the "Online Super Off-Peak Single" ticket which is half the price of the Super Off-Peak Return (as opposed to the regular Super Off-Peak Single which is just one pound cheaper than the Super Off-Peak Return).

You can now only buy this ticket online as part of a return journey (much like VTWC's similar 'online half' tickets), though until fairly recently this was not the case and it could be bought online as a standalone ticket (but this had to be done by at least midnight the day before travel, it wasn't available to buy on the day - however now it can be bought on the day, but as stated only as part of a return journey).

In contrast the VTWC 'online half' tickets can be bought from (I'm pretty sure) any Trainline-powered site, not just the VTWC site.

Last edited:

FQTV

However there is one ticket you can only buy on the VTEC site, and that's the "Online Super Off-Peak Single" ticket which is half the price of the Super Off-Peak Return (as opposed to the regular Super Off-Peak Single which is just one pound cheaper than the Super Off-Peak Return).

You can now only buy this ticket online as part of a return journey (much like VTWC's similar 'online half' tickets), though until fairly recently this was not the case and it could be bought online as a standalone ticket (but this had to be done by at least midnight the day before travel, it wasn't available to buy on the day - however this has changed and now you can buy it on the day, though as stated only as part of a return journey).

The VTWC 'online half' tickets can meanwhile be bought from (I'm pretty sure) any Trainline-powered site, not just the VTWC site. But as far as I can see the VTEC Online Super Off-Peak Single can only be bought from the VTEC site.

Granted; and it's also the only way to seat select for VTEC services online, and the only way to get free WiFi in Standard on VTEC.

Based on my experience with the new site, and their failure to address the issues with anything like an acceptable attitude, these marginal benefits may not be of any consequence in my particular case.

Whether others feel likewise is of course the bigger risk for VTEC.

Joe Paxton

Established Member
Granted; and it's also the only way to seat select for VTEC services online, and the only way to get free WiFi in Standard on VTEC.

Based on my experience with the new site, and their failure to address the issues with anything like an acceptable attitude, these marginal benefits may not be of any consequence in my particular case.

Whether others feel likewise is of course the bigger risk for VTEC.

I think many passengers - at least those who don't fall into the Trainline trap - just book direct with the relevant TOC, and so won't think of booking elsewhere.

Though VTECs free WiFi offer is a good point - that'll surely attract some. (Personally I've got a good enough mobile data plan, so for me the free WiFi offer isn't pursuasive.)

The other thing they could do is offer a discount on their own tickets bought via their site - as NXEC and East Coast did for quite a while, with 10% off most Advance fares. I think only EMT routinely offers a discount now (which is £1 off their Advance fares).

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The other thing they could do is offer a discount on their own tickets bought via their site - as NXEC and East Coast did for quite a while, with 10% off most Advance fares. I think only EMT routinely offers a discount now (which is £1 off their Advance fares).
My understanding is that the rail industry is committed to end such anti-competetive practices.

Also the margin on tickets is so small that once you start to discount the price, you will potentially generate less revenue than if a rival website was used to make the booking (depending on where the ticket ended up being printed).

FQTV

My understanding is that the rail industry is committed to end such anti-competetive practices.

Also the margin on tickets is so small that once you start to discount the price, you will potentially generate less revenue than if a rival website was used to make the booking (depending on where the ticket ended up being printed).

Perhaps you meant something slightly different, but the ability for a retailer to set their own pricing is surely one of the foundations of a competitive market. Price fixing is the precise opposite.

I'd further posit that margin, in the case of rail tickets, is a largely arbitrary, or at least artificial, concept anyhow.

FQTV

Well that's yesterday wasted if that's true

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Since there's no quote or refence in the above, could I trouble you to clarify what it is that you're referring to?

Many thanks.

Joe Paxton

Established Member
Since there's no quote or refence in the above, could I trouble you to clarify what it is that you're referring to?

Many thanks.

I think it's a reference to Yorkie's comments in the previous post (#107).

If you read between the lines I think you can work out the rest!

Established Member
I used to book everything through East Coast, and even when VTEC took over and they got rid of Rewards I couldn't think of any particular reason to shift to another operator's service.

I've tried it a few times, and now this awful new website has provided that reason. I'll use it for the seat selector for VTEC trips, and that's it.

alistairlees

Established Member
Perhaps you meant something slightly different, but the ability for a retailer to set their own pricing is surely one of the foundations of a competitive market. Price fixing is the precise opposite.

Virgin Trains East Coast is both the monopoly supplier of the product (a ticket from Leeds to London, for example) and ONE of the retailers of the product (other retailers being both TOC websites and third party retailers).

As VTEC keeps 100% of the revenue for the above flow, it's an easy thing to chop off a few pounds and still make margin. But for any other site (TOC or third party retailer) that only receives 5% commission, it's not possible to match a reduced price without incurring a substantial loss.

That is quite definitely anti-competitive.

(It's also not in the best interests of the rail industry to have customers totally confused as to where to buy tickets from and for them to feel ripped off if they buy from one place but discover they were cheaper from somewhere else.)

SaveECRewards

(It's also not in the best interests of the rail industry to have customers totally confused as to where to buy tickets from and for them to feel ripped off if they buy from one place but discover they were cheaper from somewhere else.)

What about when a TOC runs a sale? In that case someone may end up paying substantially more even if they book on the correct website but don't go through the sale page

Mike@Raileasy

Verified Rep

The ORR raised this in their Retailing Review. Short term "sales" are OK but they said they would look at permanently discounted fares.

SaveECRewards

The ORR raised this in their Retailing Review. Short term "sales" are OK but they said they would look at permanently discounted fares.

How long can short term sales be? Using a physical retailer as an example DFS always seems to have a sale on.

The excellent VTEC Hot Cakes sales seem to be over for a little while, I think they had one every weekend in June and early July. Obviously they can't last or people not book on the hope an offer is around the corner.

Joe Paxton

Established Member
The excellent VTEC Hot Cakes sales seem to be over for a little while, I think they had one every weekend in June and early July. Obviously they can't last or people not book on the hope an offer is around the corner.

Well...
mTrPENI.jpg

...school's out for summer!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.