• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Newhaven Marine loses canopy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bishopstone

Established Member
I pass by regularly and believe this is a recent development: or perhaps I've just not been paying attention?

The canopy at Marine - the poor state of which was, if I recall, the reason given for the cessation of non-ECS workings - has gone.

Clearly, this removes the last obstacle to the recommencement of loco-hauled boat trains from Manchester. :D

The Network Rail test train with 2x class 73s was berthed there at 07.20 this morning.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AngusH

Clearly, this removes the last obstacle to the recommencement of loco-hauled boat trains from Manchester. :D

Loco hauled class 442 units presumably?

:D

More seriously, is there any demand that isn't satisfied by Newhaven harbour or Newhaven Town?

Last edited:

a1a.a1a

Yes I was down that way a few weekends ago when the Seaford line was shut. Lots of Orangemen at the Marine so guess that is what they were doing

Is the semaphore (NH35) still extant?

e83164786d75f5009f20671cc5933183.jpg

Semaphore and fence both remain.. (The tractor has since departed)

Last edited:

GatwickDepress

Established Member
When I was there for the Seaford 150 railtour, it certainly looked like it was going to come down at any time. Probably a good thing it was removed before it fell and inconvenienced anyone.

More seriously, is there any demand that isn't satisfied by Newhaven harbour or Newhaven Town?
None at all. Newhaven Town fulfils the majority of the town's needs as well as the Dieppe ferry... how the mighty have fallen from all those boat trains... :D

AngusH

how the mighty have fallen from all those boat trains...

I agree. The channel tunnel is surely better as a rail connection,
but the loss of the boat trains does makes me slightly sad. Train ferries too...

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Loco hauled class 442 units presumably?

:D

Given that ferry passengers are advised to use Town, I'd have thought there's more chance of Harbour becoming a "parly" stop than Marine ceasing to be one*.

* or indeed less than!

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
Now forgive me if I am wrong, but was not the station's "temporary" closure due to the danger of the canopy...?

As rectification work has been carried out and the danger to passengers no longer exists, are Southern obliged to look into resuming operational passenger services?

sarahj

Established Member
TBh, whats the point. Harbour station serves the industry around there, and the ferry terminal is now closer to Town anyway. Numbers catching the ferry can often be counted on one hand. The station is now only handy as a turn back siding when you cannot get to Seaford.

The danger was the roof of the canopy. That was removed a few years ago.

a1a.a1a

Looked by the old marine earlier in the week, it appears prep work has started on demolition of the main brick building.

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
Looked by the old marine earlier in the week, it appears prep work has started on demolition of the main brick building.

Have borders agency moved out then? I thought they were in the old terminal building there

If NVM is not too far for you, any chance of a picture as the ones I have seen are several months old

Last edited:

Deepgreen

Established Member
Now forgive me if I am wrong, but was not the station's "temporary" closure due to the danger of the canopy...?

As rectification work has been carried out and the danger to passengers no longer exists, are Southern obliged to look into resuming operational passenger services?

The trouble is, passenger usage has declined hugely since it 'closed', so there is now an excuse to close it...

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Except

A) It provides an operational use

B) I purchased a valid ticket to there

A) Doesn't require the station to be operational, any reversals can be done without having to egress the unit.

B) Does that count for anything? An enthusiast buying one ticket is not the most compelling case for keeping a station open I've seen.

Last edited:

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
A) Doesn't require the station to be operational, any reversals can be done without having to egress the unit.

B) Does that count for anything? An enthusiast buying one ticket is not the most compelling case for keeping a station open I've seen.

I thought DeepGreen meant closing the entire branch

GatwickDepress

Established Member
Except

A. An operational use, yes, but its function is purely that of a siding at this point.

B. You did, and GTR are obliged under contract law to carry you to your destination - but not necessarily by train. If the station was closed, anybody with a Newhaven Marine ticket would be simply be taxied from Newhaven Harbour at GTR's expense. If I understand your point correctly.

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
A. An operational use, yes, but its function is purely that of a siding at this point.

B. You did, and GTR are obliged under contract law to carry you to your destination - but not necessarily by train. If the station was closed, anybody with a Newhaven Marine ticket would be simply be taxied from Newhaven Harbour at GTR's expense. If I understand your point correctly.

For B, yes... I presume that a valid ticket to/from there would count in station usage figures

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Yes, but if no-one actually materialises to use it then it's a bit of a meaningless statistic. I could go to my local station thrice a day for a year and buy returns to Norton Bridge to gets its numbers up and then use that as a justification to save it, but unless I and many others actually do that with a true and legitimate purpose then it's pointless.

xc170

Except

A) Keep it as a turnback siding?

B) One person buying a valid ticket to the station just to say they've brought a ticket isn't going to change it's fortunes.

I seen no real reason it can't be closed as a station.

a1a.a1a

Have borders agency moved out then?

If NVM is not too far for you, any chance of a picture as the ones I have seen are several months old

The building has been empty for a while, not sure where the border folks are now.

I will see if I can get down there for you in the next few days.

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
The building has been empty for a while, not sure where the border folks are now.

I will see if I can get down there for you in the next few days.

Thanks... a good series of pictures of the station as is would make for a good viewpoint on the station status

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Let's get on with closure of the station. Keep the sidings. It isn't necessary to flag a dead horse so long.

Last edited:

TheEdge

Established Member
How is closing a pointless station setting a precedent?

Infact I believe Pilning has just had the Norton Bridge treatment, its foodbridge is being removed leaving one platform inaccessible.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
As has been mentioned before, to do so would set a dangerous precedent

No it wouldnt, the station closure procedures are not a quick and easy procedure, as is seen by how few there are. This one has been overtaken by changes to the cross channel ferry operations, and in constantly calling for its retention you are not being realistic.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Infact I believe Pilning has just had the Norton Bridge treatment, its foodbridge is being removed leaving one platform inaccessible.

It has, though to be fair it gained a second service in the still-operational direction to compensate :lol: I do think we need a serious review (and purge) of the likes of Norton Bridge, Polesworth and Newhaven Marine in this country: we either do something with them to make them viable or get rid. The fact that it's taken a decade to sort out what to do with Norton Bridge is incredible...

Status
Not open for further replies.