• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

No First Class Fare

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marton

I want to travel from Darlington to Uttoxeter but there appears to be no first class fare despite the vast majority of the journey being Darlington to Derby.

There are old threads on this but over 3 years ago and things may have changed.

Do I have to split tickets, can I use first with a standard ticket or is there a mechanism to buy a ticket?

I am also surprised to see it priced by Transpennine not Cross Country

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
As you probably realise, there is no First Class accomodation on the East Midlands trains between Derby and Uttoxeter.
You should not travel in First Class with a Standard ticket.
You would have to buy 2 separate tickets, one for First Class travel on the first leg, to Derby, and another for Standard Class travel on the second leg, from Derby.

Unfortunately the Anytime fares for the first leg are very high. I expect you might find a cheaper ticket for a slightly different journey or for an Advance

Marton

Unfortunately the Anytime fares for the first leg are very high. I expect you might find a cheaper ticket for a slightly different journey or for an Advance

Indeed so. First Open to Stoke via Derby (£166.80) is way cheaper than a First Open to Derby (£315)! an off peak to Derby is £176.50.

Madness?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Indeed so. First Open to Stoke via Derby (£166.80) is way cheaper than a First Open to Derby (£315)! an off peak to Derby is £176.50.

Madness?
XC fares are madness, especially when 1st Class is involved (ever wondered why 1st is usually empty on XC? ;))

The Stoke fare has been rising at a rate that is fairly typical of rail fares, while the Derby fare has been rising at an insane rate due to XC's greed (that's been the policy of both franchise holders, Virgin and Arriva).

In NFM95 (2007) the 1st class fare from Darlington to Derby was little more than half the price it is today!!!

I can't see XC's huge price rises stopping any time soon, so expect more anomalies, due to more realistically (but still too high) fares not rising so fast. The problem is that XC may attempt to stop these anomalies by either taking control of the flows that are not set by then, and/or change the permitted routes in the Routeing Guide.

They're incredibly sneaky and devious, and they are absolutely desperate for your cash and will try every trick in the book (and some that aren't) to get it.

34D

Established Member
Wasn't it the case (previously) that if no first class fare was listed, it could be created at 150% of the standard class fare?

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Wasn't it the case (previously) that if no first class fare was listed, it could be created at 150% of the standard class fare?

I thought that policy went out with British Rail!

If you are travellng at a weekend you could buy a standard class ticket and get a Weekend upgrade

furryfeet

XC fares are madness, especially when 1st Class is involved (ever wondered why 1st is usually empty on XC? ;))
Does the penny not drop with XC that sky high prices leads to empty seats ?

If the OP is doing the trip in one day, then get
a) 1st open Rtn darlington to sheffield at 134.00 ( priced by Eastcoast )
b) 1st off peak day rtn Sheffield to derby 16.20 ( priced by East midlands )
c) 2nd off peak day rtn Derby to Uttoxeter 8.10 ( priced by East midlands )
OR
d) 1st day rtn East Coast only Darlington to York 52.10
e) 1st day rtn York to sheffield 65.00 ( priced by nothern )
f) as b) above
g) as c) above

Marton

Thank you for the advice. Unfortunately it isn't a day trip so it has to be either singles or open/off peak return; I also cant guarantee the timing so advance is out.

I had decided an open return to Stoke was the answer stopping/starting short at Uttoxeter as I believe I am allowed to do on an Open First.

However non of the on-line ticket sellers give via Derby as a route.

I read the Routeing Guide as allowing it using maps ER+MM+EM.

Am I or the search engines correct?

All Line Rover

Established Member
You are correct. Travel via Derby is also an entirely reasonable route, so it would be appropriate to contest any attempted changes to this permitted route in subsequent versions of the Routeing Guide.

jkdd77

I agree that a Darlington- Stoke FOR is valid via Derby and for BoJ at Derby. If travelling at a weekend, it may be cheaper to buy standard class tickets with weekend first upgrades.

Funnily enough, a Darlington- Longton FOR is shown as valid by journey planners to go via Derby (and is both the quickest and, IMO, most reasonable route), yet fails the 'fares check' for travel via Derby.

Logic and rail fares go together like a fish on a bicycle :lol:!

Status
Not open for further replies.