• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

No working toilet on the train.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
I'm not sticking that on the log burner.

ComUtoR

Established Member
The bioreactor extracts pure water

Drinkable ?

(to bathing standard) from the waste ready to be reused in the toilet.

On the Protec link it states the water is disposed onto the track. Recycling the water into the tank would make sense. Does it also recycle into the tap water ? If its 'bathing standard' could you wash your hands with it ?

Mugby

Established Member
When I travelled from Derby to Sheffield yesterday, I noticed that one of EMR's departures was shown on the screens as having 'No accessible toilet in Standard' I took that to mean non-accessible toilets were available but the only accessible toilet would be in First. Presumably anyone who needed it might have a long trek from one end of the train to the other.
Same message still showing on the screens at Sheffield at 1800 so the set was obviously running all day, although with the huge number of pax using EMR due to the problems on LNER, the overcrowding was such that it would have been pretty much impossible to use any toilet!

bleeder4

When I travelled from Derby to Sheffield yesterday, I noticed that one of EMR's departures was shown on the screens as having 'No accessible toilet in Standard' I took that to mean non-accessible toilets were available but the only accessible toilet would be in First. Presumably anyone who needed it might have a long trek from one end of the train to the other.
Same message still showing on the screens at Sheffield at 1800 so the set was obviously running all day, although with the huge number of pax using EMR due to the problems on LNER, the overcrowding was such that it would have been pretty much impossible to use any toilet!
If a toilet is non-accessible then how can it be available? Presumably the entrance is blocked off somehow. If something isn't accessible then it can't physically be accessed.

TheTallOne

If a toilet is non-accessible then how can it be available? Presumably the entrance is blocked off somehow. If something isn't accessible then it can't physically be accessed.
I think they mean not accessible to people in wheelchairs or with other disabilities where they need more room, etc.

People tend to call them accessible toilets these days rather than disabled toilets. The toilet isn’t disabled. Plus accessible and ability sounds better than disabled and disability - emphasis on the abilities rather than disabilities. Looking more at the social model rather than medical model.

lachlan

I would presume (hope) that it's to inform any wheelchair users to board in first rather than standard and they'll be able to sit there at no extra charge. As I don't believe the train aisle is wide enough for a wheelchair to pass through

dk1

Veteran Member
I think they mean not accessible to people in wheelchairs or with other disabilities where they need more room, etc.

People tend to call them accessible toilets these days rather than disabled toilets. The toilet isn’t disabled. Plus accessible and ability sounds better than disabled and disability - emphasis on the abilities rather than disabilities. Looking more at the social model rather than medical model.

Ours are all know as UAT these days which confuses me as always knew that as Underframe Axle Test.

It’s also frowned upon to say there is a wheelchair onboard rather than a MIP now.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
The small toilet on a 222 is barely accessible for a fully able bodied person.

lachlan

Ours are all know as UAT these days which confuses me as always knew that as Underframe Axle Test.

It’s also frowned upon to say there is a wheelchair onboard rather than a MIP now.
What does MIP stand for? I do believe wheelchair users prefer to be referred to as such and not as just wheelchairs as there is a person sitting in that chair

dk1

Veteran Member
What does MIP stand for? I do believe wheelchair users prefer to be referred to as such and not as just wheelchairs as there is a person sitting in that chair

Yes, not something I’d ever thought about before. It’s Mobility Impaired Person.

TheTallOne

The small toilet on a 222 is barely accessible for a fully able bodied person.
Yes, my username… so I agree!
Better acronym than MOP (member of public) a term some police officers use.

But yes, agree on the point about they like to be referred to as a person not a wheelchair.

Zamracene749

Don't people carry empty pop bottles? ;)
Get caught using one in public, ie where somebody could have caught sight of your tackle, then it's indecenct exposure sexual offences act 2003. It's absolutely ridiculous but true. The law was intendended to stop flashers of course, but plod can use it more easily against someone releasing that night's beer. Advice given to me by a policeman mate, just wet your trousers. Thats not illegal.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Get caught using one in public, ie where somebody could have caught sight of your tackle, then it's indecenct exposure sexual offences act 2003. It's absolutely ridiculous but true. The law was intendended to stop flashers of course, but plod can use it more easily against someone releasing that night's beer. Advice given to me by a policeman mate, just wet your trousers. Thats not illegal.
Of course, it would be on a train in particular as you'd be soiling it! I'd like to see them try prosecution of that, though.

northwichcat

Established Member
Had a 156+150/1 formation on a Northern Mid-Cheshire line service last Saturday. The toilet was out-of-order on the 156 and the 150/1 had the rear carriage locked out-of-use. The positive was the open carriage on the 150 had the toilet and the guard announced that was the case. The negative was at numerous stations passengers jumped out of the 156 to use the toilet, and then had to wait to the subsequent station to return to their seat.

TUC

Established Member
I would presume (hope) that it's to inform any wheelchair users to board in first rather than standard and they'll be able to sit there at no extra charge. As I don't believe the train aisle is wide enough for a wheelchair to pass through
It would be helpful if the announcement included that information, so that wheelchair users knew it would be OK to do that in these circumstances.

Tomos y Tanc

I'm a wheelchair user and mine fits just fine! Obviously, that's not true for larger, powered chairs.

Krokodil

Established Member
Not true, look at the relevant legislation:

66 Exposure​

(1)A person commits an offence if—

(a)he intentionally exposes his genitals, and

(b)he intends that someone will see them and be caused alarm or distress.

My underlining. The law requires intent to be proven.

greyman42

Established Member
Not true, look at the relevant legislation:

My underlining. The law requires intent to be proven.
Am i right in thinking that there is still a separate law of "urinating in public"?

trainophile

Established Member
There was an item on TV the other day about lorry drivers being cautioned/arrested for having a P (edit: not P as in parking!) in lay-bys. A little harsh if there's no facilities provided I thought. A few years ago during the stack-ups to/from Dover ferry port they were all having to do it as service areas were all closed due to lockdown.

In this country anyone would think relieving oneself was some sort of optional entertainment, not a biological necessity. It defies belief.