• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

No working toilet on the train.

Established Member
There should really be a way of doing that in case, as is mostly the case for roughly 50% of the passengers, they have only urinated and not used any paper. The water is really wasted when about 50% of uses won't really require any.

I should probably know better than to ask this question, but how could you possibly know what % of toilet visitors only urinate?!

If you are sitting splashback is a risk....

Sometimes more than just splash back is on the cards, certainly based on my years on the Networker fleet, and seeing the results of their toilets “reversing” when flushed, on a couple of occasions o_O.

Generally the person concerned would appear on the platform looking disoriented, covered in mostly brown liquid matter, stinking to high heaven, and would be recommended to make a precautionary visit to hospital. The key takeaway is, when visiting the loo on a train, *always* lower the seat before you flush… :lol:

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bluejays

I should probably know better than to ask this question, but how could you possibly know what % of toilet visitors only urinate?!

Sometimes more than just splash back is on the cards, certainly based on my years on the Networker fleet, and seeing the results of their toilets “reversing” when flushed, on a couple of occasions o_O.

Generally the person concerned would appear on the platform looking disoriented, covered in mostly brown liquid matter, stinking to high heaven, and would be recommended to make a precautionary visit to hospital. The key takeaway is, when visiting the loo on a train, *always* lower the seat before you flush… :lol:
I really wish I hadn't read this just before going to sleep :lol:

Established Member
I really wish I hadn't read this just before going to sleep :lol:

But as much as it might disgust you
Rather than vomit, or go boo hoo
Easier now you’ll know what to do
Lord forbid you ever visit a Networker loo

(If you know, you know :)).

Last edited:

yorksrob

Veteran Member

Another day, another reason why the slammers were better !

MichaelTrains

There are still no toilets at the Interchange three months after it was shut. The nearest toilets are the free ones at the Leisure Exchange a good five minutes away.

It’s 2024 and this is pretty disgraceful.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
There are still no toilets at the Interchange three months after it was shut. The nearest toilets are the free ones at the Leisure Exchange a good five minutes away.

It’s 2024 and this is pretty disgraceful.

Someone really should have brought in some portaloo's.

Zamracene749

Would it be too far fetched in these days of tanked toilets to at least have some kind of separate urinal option? I understand that toilets dropping chods, bog roll and tampons etc straight onto the tracks is unpleasant, in station areas it's just vile. But realistically, urine, in a day or two it's bacterially gone. For whatever reason, too many beers, diuretics or pregnancy, if somebody needs to empty their bladder then surely it's better on the tracks than on the train? Maybe link the locks on the doors to gps, or the speedometer or something so there can't be any unpleasant doings in places trackworkers might suffer? The law in this country doesn't allow a person to legally relieve themselves even if they are out of view, but it's legal to soil ones own clothes, even on a train seat. Or perhaps 'toilet drops', straight down the drains, in selected stations or stopover points?

Last edited:

dk1

Veteran Member
Would it be too far fetched in these days of tanked toilets to at least have some kind of separate urinal option? I understand that toilets dropping chods, bog roll and tampons etc straight onto the tracks is unpleasant, in station areas it's just vile. But realistically, urine, in a day or two it's bacterially gone. For whatever reason, too many beers, diuretics or pregnancy, if somebody needs to empty their bladder then surely it's better on the tracks than on the train? Maybe link the locks on the doors to gps, or the speedometer or something so there can't be any unpleasant doings in places trackworkers might suffer? The law in this country doesn't allow a person to legally relieve themselves even if they are out of view, but it's legal to soil ones own clothes, even on a train seat. Or perhaps 'toilet drops', straight down the drains, in selected stations or stopover points?

Chances of that are zero to be honest. On some trains even though they are out of order guards will unlock if someone is desperate for a wee but be prepared they maybe in a bit of a state and have everything slopping around the top of the pan.

pompeyfan

Established Member
On some current stock the hand basin drops straight on the track rather than into the CET… that’s people with an external appendage sorted ;)

Wolfie

Established Member
On some current stock the hand basin drops straight on the track rather than into the CET… that’s people with an external appendage sorted ;)
Let me guess, older stock and the sink was never modified?

Slightly high for shorter people lol....

Goldfish62

Established Member
Going back to the original issue experience and from talking to guard friends, at least as far as GWR / SWT(R) have been concerned, on a lengthy journey where toilets are normally provided but are out of use the train will make a toilet stop. If it's at night when station toilets are locked arrangements will be made to unlock those toilets.

But that was pre-Covid. Customer service has gone out of the window since then.

Established Member
Going back to the original issue experience and from talking to guard friends, at least as far as GWR / SWT(R) have been concerned, on a lengthy journey where toilets are normally provided but are out of use the train will make a toilet stop. If it's at night when station toilets are locked arrangements will be made to unlock those toilets.

But that was pre-Covid. Customer service has gone out of the window since then.

Part of the issue might be increased overcrowding (especially at weekends), combined with lower frequencies/shorter trains post Covid, leading to tanks filling up and toilets then becoming unusable. Not all trains will be rostered onto a depot overnight where toilet tanking can take place.

Let me guess, older stock and the sink was never modified?

Slightly high for shorter people lol....

AIUI sinks aren’t required to drain into the CET. The galley sinks on our stock certainly discharge straight onto the track bed.

Bluejays

Always worth asking the guard if they can unlock a toilet/if any of the toilets are usable .
I've worked trains with all toilets locked out, that on investigation have been able to be reopened. Sometimes a toilet can be locked out early in the day for a small reason(small leak, broken seat etc), which is fine with others working. But it can still obviously be used if needed

Established Member
Always worth asking the guard if they can unlock a toilet/if any of the toilets are usable .
I've worked trains with all toilets locked out, that on investigation have been able to be reopened. Sometimes a toilet can be locked out early in the day for a small reason(small leak, broken seat etc), which is fine with others working. But it can still obviously be used if needed

Trouble is in many cases they will have been locked out for far worse reasons… o_O:lol:

Bluejays

Trouble is in many cases they will have been locked out for far worse reasons… o_O:lol:
Yeah. A strong stomach can sometimes be needed. Although luckily on the services I work, random episodes of backflushing don't seem to be an issue.

*Ridiculous thing for me to say really, can almost guarantee I will now encounter it within the near future.

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
Sheffield station just now.

The 2212 is the last train of the day to Cleethorpes. If you were on it from Liverpool that would be 3 and a half hours without toilet facilities. And yet class 185s have two toilets so, unless someone is sabotaging them deliberately, it's very unusual for both to be not working. How on earth do TPE think this is acceptable?

Attachments

• IMG_20240303_203800616~2.jpg
    IMG_20240303_203800616~2.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 66

Established Member
Being the weekend, toilets really do need tanking.... if the smelly wheely trolley isn't available, this has to be done on a depot with a suction hose.

Ways of reducing full toilets were put to Siemens and nothing was done - eg reducing the amount of added water per flush. Love Siemens trains, but their ignorance of staff feedback and suggestions to resolve problems repeatedly results in this situation - they have won few train building contracts in recent years which is a shame, but deserved given their sloppy (eww) vehicle after-maintenance.

Travelmonkey

I do wonder if a lack of en route emptying can be a issue. I know on a LNWR trip there was no toilets for a 8 coach train guard arranged us to be pathed into Northampton platform 1 so they can be drained although on some routes that's obviously not possible.

Goldfish62

Established Member
The Class 701s, if they ever enter service, have bio-reactor toilets which it's claimed can go 30 days without servicing. Commonly used on Dutch trains apparently.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
The Class 701s, if they ever enter service, have bio-reactor toilets which it's claimed can go 30 days without servicing. Commonly used on Dutch trains apparently.

Out of interest, I wonder whether those go out of use if they run out of water ? If that's still the case, the bio-reactor probably won't totally solve the issue.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Out of interest, I wonder whether those go out of use if they run out of water ? If that's still the case, the bio-reactor probably won't totally solve the issue.
The bioreactor extracts pure water (to bathing standard) from the waste ready to be reused in the toilet.

Topological

The bioreactor extracts pure water (to bathing standard) from the waste ready to be reused in the toilet.
It is a clever system.

However, what is the betting that on days 28, 29, 30, etc. the trains will still manage to be out-stabled so they cannot have their bioreactors refreshed and go out of service :)

Established Member
Guessing it's this one https://www.protec-bioreactor.com/en/solutions/

I'm kind of picturing Back to the Future II with a blender strapped to the flux capacitor :rolleyes:

Betting this is good in theory but won't cope with Britains railway.

Edit: reading more, it sounds like on day 28 out comes a solid, dry.. err... brickette :lol:

Goldfish62

Established Member
Guessing it's this one https://www.protec-bioreactor.com/en/solutions/

I'm kind of picturing Back to the Future II with a blender strapped to the flux capacitor :rolleyes:

Betting this is good in theory but won't cope with Britains railway.

Edit: reading more, it sounds like on day 28 out comes a solid, dry.. err... brickette :lol:
If it can cope with the Dutch I'm sure it can cope with the British! :lol: