• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

No working toilet on the train.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Wolfie

Established Member
A proactive guard will arrange toilet stops. I always make sure to do one when control refuse to swap a unit out. I don't find it at all acceptable to how zero toilets no matter how long the service is
Absolutely. That was done at Northampton on the London Midland service l mentioned previously. The problem late at night is station toilets being locked too.

Emergency toilet bags exist. Each train should perhaps have a stock of them which could be used in the toilet cubicle in emergency even if it had failed.
All too often there is liquid sloshing right to the brim.....

yorksrob

Veteran Member
The rule should be, if a station's important enough to have a disabled toilet, it should have ordinary toilets as well.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The rule should be, if a station's important enough to have a disabled toilet, it should have ordinary toilets as well.

Unfortunately vandalism tends to put paid to that. But if individuals tend to be often in need of use of the toilet they can obtain a RADAR key - anyone can - you don't need a diagnosis for whatever it is that causes a frequency/urgency issue.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Unfortunately vandalism tends to put paid to that. But if individuals tend to be often in need of use of the toilet they can obtain a RADAR key - anyone can - you don't need a diagnosis for whatever it is that causes a frequency/urgency issue.

Trains can be vandalised, that's no reason not to have them.

This is fundamentally an excuse for cost saving.

david1212

Established Member
Without picking out extracts of previous posts.

If the toilet was out of use at the terminus / starting point first even without any remote indication to the crew it ought to be checked then if a problem found an announcement can be made.

Given this was the last train and here just one toilet on the train but generally if more than one and all out of use arrangements should have been made for ' comfort break ' stops. The same for a sparse service.

In theory every train having a supply of emergency bags is sensible. In reality will they not go missing? Even if not do they have a shelf life?

SECR263

Emergency toilet bags exist. Each train should perhaps have a stock of them which could be used in the toilet cubicle in emergency even if it had failed.
Where do you put said bags in a toilet, if windows opened you could chuck them on track PROVIDED bags bio degradable. as we are all green now

SECR263

What exactly does this achieve? If this toilet wasn’t working because no one wanted to empty it, fair enough, but if it had broken mid journey there isn’t a lot the TOC can do, it happens.

All you end up with is the last train of the day being cancelled in this case. Everyone who needed the loo still does, but also they now can’t get home.
This is now turning into a big problem. Lots of people don't have cast iron bladders, I don't. Have you ever wet yourself? I don't suppose you have? It ain't nice. humiliating, experience. The tax payer's, ie you me, subsidise these cretin companies to run a service, ie a working bog. Given the choice there should be a locked out of use. direct discharge bog to track. Driver enables by cab control all happy. Even the space station have a bog. A British train, well. who knows.

In a bin bag. They contain crystals to absorb the liquid. In essence it's a plastic bag with cat litter in it.
Where are bags on train?

Benjwri

Established Member
This is now turning into a big problem. Lots of people don't have cast iron bladders, I don't. Have you ever wet yourself? I don't suppose you have? It ain't nice. humiliating, experience. The tax payer's, ie you me, subsidise these cretin companies to run a service, ie a working bog. Given the choice there should be a locked out of use. direct discharge bog to track. Driver enables by cab control all happy. Even the space station have a bog. A British train, well. who knows.
I don’t think that’s entirely relevant to what I said though. If trains are cancelled, especially the last one, it is doing the opposite of solving the loo problem because the stations passengers are coming from’s loos are often locked. By suggesting trains without a loo should be cancelled you aren’t solving any problems, just adding another of actually making it home.

ComUtoR

Established Member
What if... The last train of the day was cancelled because of no toilet but also the one previous because that had no toilet, and the one before that...

SECR263

Where are bags on train?
I forgot to say how does the plastic bag work for a female?

PeterC

Established Member
I forgot to say how does the plastic bag work for a female?
the brand that I know includes a funnel which they claim is anatomically correct. Being of the male persuasion I can't confirm this.

Topological

Could be worse. They could be sending the train out in preference to the booked unit.

This happened last Friday with TfW where a 197 from Manchester did pretty much the whole trip without its toilet working. At Cardiff it was supposed to go to Canton but then got put on the 22:15 to Carmarthen instead of the units that had arrived from the West. Having been on it I knew and was able to use Cardiff station. For those who had been drinking in Cardiff...

No doubt someone will say there was an issue with all the other units on Canton at that time, etc etc etc.

SECR263

I bow to your knowledge of this matter but will blokes know which one to choose. Do trains hold these 2 options in a secret place?

You will recall in the great freeze up / cock up at Lewisham a few years ago. Pass discharged due to no bogs due to no juice, as juice worked bogs, so again should all trains have a track discharge bog,in reserve?

Could be worse. They could be sending the train out in preference to the booked unit.

This happened last Friday with TfW where a 197 from Manchester did pretty much the whole trip without its toilet working. At Cardiff it was supposed to go to Canton but then got put on the 22:15 to Carmarthen instead of the units that had arrived from the West. Having been on it I knew and was able to use Cardiff station. For those who had been drinking in Cardiff...

No doubt someone will say there was an issue with all the other units on Canton at that time, etc etc etc.
Yes, the management Horizon claim but in reverse.

skyhigh

Established Member
Do trains hold these 2 options in a secret place?
It's a speculative idea being discussed here, not something that already happens.

On the stock I sign there is plenty of spare room in the emergency cupboard for things like this.

Leeds Driver

Pretty sure there are route clearance issues with the 170s which might explain why they’re not used elsewhere by Northern.