• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Non-stop through Carlisle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Condor7

Other than the Caledonian sleeper, are there any other scheduled passenger trains that do not stop at Carlisle?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Darandio

Established Member
Yes, I believe 1S82 (1630 EUS - GLC) doesn't call there.

In fact, I may be wrong but I believe there were actually more that didn't call there before the VHF, hopefully someone can confirm.

Lrd

Established Member

In fact, I may be wrong but I believe there were actually more that didn't call there before the VHF, hopefully someone can confirm.
As far as I can see, looking at tomorrow on www.opentraintimes.com 1S82 is the only train all day not to call at Carlisle, even the sleepers call there.
I posted the link above.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Isn't this a result of the very low speeds allowed through the station due to teh condition of the trackwork more than anything else?

If you have to slow down to 15mph there is not much time loss by calling.

EltonRoad

There were a couple of extra Virgin trains on Sundays at the beginning of October that weren't scheduled to call at Carlisle. They ran between Euston and Edinburgh advertised as calling only at Preston, run in connection with engineering on the ECML.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member

Incorrect I'm afraid, everything under Virgin's time called at Carlisle pre-VHF.

Last edited:

nedchester

Established Member
Incorrect I'm afraid, everything called at Carlisle pre-VHF, and did for years.

Both Royal Scots just called at Preston only back in the day. Also the APT didn't stop there when it did its reliefs in the 1980s

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Sorry, should have said under Virgin's tenure :oops: Of course heading further back timetables were all over the place - Preston in the 1980s was served by all IC services aside from a FO relief to Lancaster ex-Euston.

Condor7

Thanks for the information, that is very helpful.
Does anyone know the path it takes through the station?

I don't think I've ever been on a Sleeper that has gone non-stop through Carlisle.

I am not very familiar with the sleeper service, and may be confused, but it looks like there are two sleepers, one from Edinburgh/Glasgow which does stop at Carlisle and one from Inverness/Fort William that does not.
Have I got this right, or am I mistaken?

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The Highland Sleeper also stops - but only for a crew change and to pick up breakfast supplies, whereas on the Lowland, passengers can exit northbound/board southbound. :)

Lrd

Established Member
Does anyone know the path it takes through the station?
Platform 3.

Click on the cogs symbol on the link I posted earlier.

D6975

Established Member

In real life it quite often does stop.
Too many people boarding at Preston don't seem to understand that first stop Glasgow means just that. Either that or they just don't check and assume that a northbound pendo is going to stop at Lancaster.
It stopped last time I was there to let off 2 passengers.

Tugzrule

Pre VHF the only non-stop train timetabled was 1m90 0536 Edinburgh - Manchester Airport which off memory was express Edinburgh - Lancaster!

It stops now but is still express due to being 5 minutes ahead of a voyager to Brum

Condor7

In real life it quite often does stop.
Too many people boarding at Preston don't seem to understand that first stop Glasgow means just that. Either that or they just don't check and assume that a northbound pendo is going to stop at Lancaster.
It stopped last time I was there to let off 2 passengers.

Sorry but are you saying it quite often stops at Lancaster, or Carlisle?

Eagle

Established Member
Pre VHF the only non-stop train timetabled was 1m90 0536 Edinburgh - Manchester Airport which off memory was express Edinburgh - Lancaster!

It stops now but is still express due to being 5 minutes ahead of a voyager to Brum

It's also booked to wait at Midcalder Junction for 2½ minutes for some reason, although today it seems like it ignored this.

Wikipedia

Does anyone know the path it takes through the station??

Any stock with passengers on board can only take the road through platforms 1, 3 or 4. B Up & Down Goods Loop and C Up & Down Goods Loop aren't cleared for passenger working. (Due to the signalling if I remember rightly!)

Condor7

Any stock with passengers on board can only take the road through platforms 1, 3 or 4. B Up & Down Goods Loop and C Up & Down Goods Loop aren't cleared for passenger working. (Due to the signalling if I remember rightly!)

Thanks for that.
Are the B & C goods loops the two tracks between the lines serving platform 3 & 4?

Wikipedia

Yep, I think officially they are '<letter> Up & Down Goods'.

Yes you are correct in this! Text in sectional appendix is to small on my screen!!!

Attached is Carlisle station taken directly from LNW (North) Sectional Appendix, available at: LNW (North) Sectional Appendix (28.5 Mb file) Carlisle Station is on page 361!

Attachments

• Carlisle Station  from Sec App.jpg
    Carlisle Station from Sec App.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 68

Condor7

Yep, I think officially they are '<letter> Up & Down Goods'.

I only go to Carlisle from time to time, but I have never seen a goods train use these 'goods' lines, they all seem to come through one of the platform tracks.

Wikipedia

I only go to Carlisle from time to time, but I have never seen a goods train use these 'goods' lines, they all seem to come through one of the platform tracks.

Probably just as easy to send them through the platform lines as it is the goods line!

AJP62

Way back when I was very familiar with Carlisle station (lets call it 30 odd years ago!) the layout was the same as now. Then the centre roads were normally used for stabling locos or coaching stock. To use them for through traffic involves blocking both up and down mainlines due to the access at each end. Of course in those days we still had the avoiding line so freight through the station was very insignificant compared to today.

On Sundays the centre roads could be full of 25s and 40s coming off engineering trains at Upperby before heading to Kingmoor. During the week there'd be the two sleepers waiting on their journey between Plat 8 and Upperby, TPO/parcel vehicles detached during the night and locos swapping elec/diesel to/from S&C or GSW.

Following electrification in '74 only three trains were non-stop through Carlisle - up and down Royal Scot as mentioned plus the last daytime Glasgow/Edinburgh - Birmingham for some reason. As far as I'm aware everthing else stopped for crew purposes including all the sleepers and motorails that were advertised with long non-stop legs through Carlisle.

Prior to electrification I don't think there were any non-stop trains.

6Gman

Established Member
Way back when I was very familiar with Carlisle station (lets call it 30 odd years ago!) the layout was the same as now. Then the centre roads were normally used for stabling locos or coaching stock. To use them for through traffic involves blocking both up and down mainlines due to the access at each end. Of course in those days we still had the avoiding line so freight through the station was very insignificant compared to today.

On Sundays the centre roads could be full of 25s and 40s coming off engineering trains at Upperby before heading to Kingmoor. During the week there'd be the two sleepers waiting on their journey between Plat 8 and Upperby, TPO/parcel vehicles detached during the night and locos swapping elec/diesel to/from S&C or GSW.

Following electrification in '74 only three trains were non-stop through Carlisle - up and down Royal Scot as mentioned plus the last daytime Glasgow/Edinburgh - Birmingham for some reason. As far as I'm aware everthing else stopped for crew purposes including all the sleepers and motorails that were advertised with long non-stop legs through Carlisle.

I was going to mention the Up Midland Scot (1730/45 Edinburgh/Glasgow - Birmingham), a train I used quite a few times, and which rolled (slowly) through Carlisle. Very odd!

Tramfan

I have to admit, having travelled between Preston and Carlisle quite regularly over the last 3 years, I was oblivious that there was a service that doesn't stop at Carlisle, I just assumed they all stopped. Thank goodness I never ended up on it!

12CSVT

Established Member

Two differences now from 30 years ago is that the centre roads are signalled for through running and the down line north of the station is bi-directional as far as the site of Caldew Junction. A derailment involving a freightliner in May 1984 was used as an excuse to close the goods avoiding lines.

There was a southbound passenger train in the late 1970s / early 1980s mid-morning which didn't call at Carlisle (Glasgow - Euston service, the only intermediade stop was Preston).

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
It's also booked to wait at Midcalder Junction for 2½ minutes for some reason, although today it seems like it ignored this.

If TPE are anything like ScotRail then these intermediate timings will not be shown on the driver's simplifiers. Therefore he is probably unaware of the stop. Most crews these days no longer use the WTT as it has been getting more and more user unfriendly with every TT change - the latest editions no longer contain an index or glossary or even an explanation for the various abbreviations used.

I do, however, still persevere (& have the pink books to prove it) and the WTT still highlights lots of wee quirks as above.

Status
Not open for further replies.