• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern 158 refurbs - on the cheap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I am slightly concerned about the Northern 158 refurb programme. The first 158s that were coming out of the works were done to an excellent standard, with all the little niggles fixed. Refurbished toilets, new door buttons, more powerful headlights, new carpets etc.

However, the recent outputs have been far less satisfactory. I travelled on one of these the other day (can't remember the number). The seats had all been recovered with what felt like new cushions, but the carpets were disgusting, and clearly had had nothing done to them! These can't have been replaced for at least 10 years (being in regional railways colours), so why are Northern leaving them in place? Meanwhile, the vestibule doors still didn't work (and hadn't been refurbished as in the earlier units), and the lighting was an awful mix of different types of bulbs (something else that had been rectified in earlier refurbs).

Why have Northern apparently started doing things on the cheap?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The 158 Man

The last Northern 158 I went on still had Regional Railways carpets, Regional Railways seat covers AND Regional Railways luggauge racks! :o

It's not that I don't like the colours (RR still one of my favourite liveries - 158750! :grin: ) but they do look pretty tatty nowadays.

EDIT: - I think the unit in question was an ex-Central one!

The Snap

Established Member
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Northern don't have many 158s do they? So surely they can splash out and refurb them to a nice standard, if theres onlya few...?

Ta,

Jim

Established Member
Most likely an ex Wessex one - carpets are solid! You sure it had been refurbed Max?

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Most likely an ex Wessex one - carpets are solid! You sure it had been refurbed Max?

Yes, the seats had been recovered with new cushions in the Northern style. I use the term 'refurbished' very loosely ;)

Jim

Established Member
Right - so I think it is a 15886X - W&W carpets.

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Not sure, the 'tip-down' seats in the vestibules were still covered in regional railways colours - hadn't most of the W&W 158s been recovered in Central purple colours?

1D53

Established Member
Some of the refurbs have suffered a shortage of some components and fleet availability in general so some haven't been finished 100%

Jordy

Established Member
Some of the refurbs have suffered a shortage of some components and fleet availability in general so some haven't been finished 100%

Correct, a couple of units had to be taken out of refurb half finished and put into service due to unit shortages.

Status
Not open for further replies.