• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern 333 refurbishments

Status
Not open for further replies.

xotGD

Established Member
What is so bad about 333008? All of the unrefurbished examples seem much the same to me when I'm commuting on them.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Harvey B

What is so bad about 333008? All of the unrefurbished examples seem much the same to me when I'm commuting on them.
Some of the livery has come off on one of the driving coaches and apperantly the interior is in a bad state too (I can't comment on the latter of the two as I've not ridden on 008 this year, I also got the latter off a fellow forum user)

xotGD

Established Member
Some of the livery has come off on one of the driving coaches and apperantly the interior is in a bad state too (I can't comment on the latter of the two as I've not ridden on 008 this year, I also got the latter off a fellow forum user)
Can't say I've noticed anything particularly bad with its interior.

Ianigsy

My nemesis is 333004 and its headache-inducingly loud automated announcements.

Neptune

Established Member
Each will be sent as per any plan Northern have with Chrysalis Rail until all 16 are done. From working on each unrefurbished unit none is particularly glaringly as bad as any other.

Ianigsy

005 really needs to be next. It's been my ride home twice this week- on Monday the guard spent most of the journey using a folded up Metro to hold one of the internal doors open after it developed a mind of its own. Today it left Leeds about 20 minutes late on the 1702 Ilkley after developing a door fault, arrived at Ilkley 40 minutes late (held for 10-15 minutes at Ben Rhydding as both platforms at Ilkley were occupied) and then ran back to Leeds and out to Shipley (to be turned?).

Harvey B

005 really needs to be next. It's been my ride home twice this week- on Monday the guard spent most of the journey using a folded up Metro to hold one of the internal doors open after it developed a mind of its own. Today it left Leeds about 20 minutes late on the 1702 Ilkley after developing a door fault, arrived at Ilkley 40 minutes late (held for 10-15 minutes at Ben Rhydding as both platforms at Ilkley were occupied) and then ran back to Leeds and out to Shipley (to be turned?).
The refurbishnent is more of a cosmetic thing than to do with door repairs, im assuming the doors are something that can be done at Neville Hill. In hoping the next 333 to go after 008 comes out is another even numbered unit so it brings the number of odd units to even numbered units done the same

Last edited:

Mex I can

I’d be interested as well, it was a surreal sight passing by between 47813 and 47815.

superkev

Established Member
Does anyone know why 333009 was taken from Neville Hill to Derby RTC today please?
It went down between 2 47s. Something to do with cracks somewhere underneath. I remember both the 332s and 333s has some cracking problems around the bogies a few years ago so may be something to do with that.
K

Harvey B

It went down between 2 47s. Something to do with cracks somewhere underneath. I remember both the 332s and 333s has some cracking problems around the bogies a few years ago so may be something to do with that.
K
I don't remember any 333s being recalled but I know it was only the 332s

Harvey B

Why not tweet them again.
I only requested 008 to go because of some of livery on one of the driving cabs was falling off and to be honest I don't really care about requesting for any other units to go into refurb

ash39

Established Member
I only requested 008 to go because of some of livery on one of the driving cabs was falling off and to be honest I don't really care about requesting for any other units to go into refurb

You missed my sarcasm.

It's not yours or anyone elses' business what order they are refurbished in and it's embarrassing that you tweeted them in the first place.

Someone at Northern will be employed to manage the fleet based on exam dates and other data, and will send units off based on this data. The fact 008 has gone is purely coincidence and absolutely nothing to do with your tweet.

diligentdave

K

You are correct. Bogie bolster crack repairs are required on a number of 333's. The work is quite a challenge.

Harvey B

it's embarrassing that you tweeted them in the first place.
How is it embarrassing?
Someone at Northern will be employed to manage the fleet based on exam dates and other data.
I don't doubt that at all, actually there might be a whole team in charge of that
The fact 008 has gone is purely coincidence and absolutely nothing to do with your tweet.
We don't know for definite if it was actually a coincidence and thats something that only a Northern staff member would know

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I think it's the same thing the 332s had although I don't think the 333s were recalled (unless they were inspected indivdually by Siemens at NL)
If my memory serves me, at the time of the 332 recall the 333s were inspected and found (at that time) to not be suffering from the same issue.

That's not to say a similar fault hasn't developed now, years later.

Neptune

Established Member
They were all inspected at the time with any remedial work done if required. The 333’s are 2 years younger than the 332’s so its not beyond the realms of possibility that it could affect some units.

Established Member
We don't know for definite if it was actually a coincidence and thats something that only a Northern staff member would know

I can understand you had good intentions, but unfortunately I'm fairly sure it's a coincidence 333008 went into works after you suggested it.

I'd imagine when a TOC takes a unit out of service for a refurbishment or PRM modifications they will have already chosen, or at least have an idea of, the next unit(s) to go into works.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I can understand you had good intentions, but unfortunately I'm fairly sure it's a coincidence 333008 went into works after you suggested it.

I'd imagine when a TOC takes a unit out of service for a refurbishment or PRM modifications they will have already chosen, or at least have an idea of, the next unit(s) to go into works.
Human beings are essentially pattern-recognition machines, so if there's an apparent pattern by coincidence (such as even-numbered units going in for refurbishment) some of us will still see it and assume it has meaning, even if it doesn't.

Harvey B

Does anyone know the unit number of the 333 that went to holbeck yesterday? (November 16th)

superkev

Established Member
Does anyone know the unit number of the 333 that went to holbeck yesterday? (November 16th)
It was 333 004 and on past performance should be ready this Sat 14th dec.
Anyone any update on 333 009 which not long after its interior refresh was despatched to the Railway technical centre with serious structural problems and may not be economic to repair.
Could it be that class 333 future is not too bright.
K

Status
Not open for further replies.