• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern 333 refurbishments

Status
Not open for further replies.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Will they be on that line more often then?
The long term answer is yes, as eventually the Yorkshire 331s will be 3-car units working mostly in pairs up the Aire valley. 333s will then be the only 4-car EMUs in Yorkshire so will work the Doncaster services. For the time being though, they'll remain a rarity due to crew traction knowledge.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Harvey B

The long term answer is yes, as eventually the Yorkshire 331s will be 3-car units working mostly in pairs up the Aire valley. 333s will then be the only 4-car EMUs in Yorkshire so will work the Doncaster services. For the time being though, they'll remain a rarity due to crew traction knowledge.
I get you, thanks

Harvey B

Turns out the unit that went to Holbeck today was 333009. Why they put this unit in now. Im not sure since it was the Neville Hill Christmas Tree a few years ago

Adam0984

Turns out the unit that went to Holbeck today was 333009. Why they put this unit in now. Im not sure since it was the Neville Hill Christmas Tree a few years ago
So it doesn’t deserve refurbishment because it had quite a lot of parts added at the same time? The refurbishment at Holbeck is more cosmetic than anything mechanical mainly new livery on the outside and a total gutting and new interior. Very little gets touched underneath as it can’t be tested

Harvey B

So it doesn’t deserve refurbishment because it had quite a lot of parts added at the same time? The refurbishment at Holbeck is more cosmetic than anything mechanical mainly new livery on the outside and a total gutting and new interior. Very little gets touched underneath as it can’t be tested
Not because of that but someone said that the interior of 009 was the least worn out of all the 333 fleet with the old interior. But that might have changed since
The reply I received is down below
A train with an interior out of use for a while is probably the train with the least worn interior. I wouldn’t be surprised if this unit was the last to be refurbished on that basis.

On Moderation
Not because of that but someone said that the interior of 009 was the least worn out of all the 333 fleet with the old interior. But that might have changed since
The reply I received is down below
There’s more to it than the interior work, though. Bodywork needs overhaul/repaint regardless of whether it has been in service or sat on depot; it still deteriorate. That’s why body overhauls (C6 or equivalent) are often based on time, whereas below frame/bogies etc (C4 or equivalent) are based on mileage.

Harvey B

There’s more to it than the interior work, though. Bodywork needs overhaul/repaint regardless of whether it has been in service or sat on depot; it still deteriorate. That’s why body overhauls (C6 or equivalent) are often based on time, whereas below frame/bogies etc (C4 or equivalent) are based on mileage.
I get you now, thanks

Adam0984

The interiors are much of a sameness as seats get swapped around as they’re deep cleaned and the flooring is all on its last legs unless it’s been patched up recently

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
It's also been a good while since 009 was reactivated, so in terms of general wear and tear, and being due for exams, etc., it's likely no different to the rest of the unrefurbished units.

Harvey B

The interiors are much of a sameness as seats get swapped around as they’re deep cleaned and the flooring is all on its last legs unless it’s been patched up recently

It's also been a good while since 009 was reactivated, so in terms of general wear and tear, and being due for exams, etc., it's likely no different to the rest of the unrefurbished units.
I guess you guys are right. I guess it still is due the refurb

superkev

Established Member
The 333s are maintained by Siemens in a dedicated part of Neville hill.
The work at Holbeck is an interior refurbish and repaint presumably paid for by Northern.
K

On Moderation
The 333s are maintained by Siemens in a dedicated part of Neville hill.
The work at Holbeck is an interior refurbish and repaint presumably paid for by Northern.
K
I'm well aware of that, although the interior work may well be funded by Angel (as owners) and covered by an increased lease cost to Northern.

But that doesn't change when maintenance becomes due - if they are due C6+repaint then they will have to be done, in accordance with the maintenance & overhaul policy.

Harvey B

if they are due C6+repaint then they will have to be done, in accordance with the maintenance & overhaul policy.
Might not be the right place to ask but since we are talking about refurbishments what are C6's?

On Moderation
Might not be the right place to ask but since we are talking about refurbishments what are C6's?
In simple terms it's an above frame overhaul, so covers things like bodywork, doors etc. including corrosion repair work.

C4 is the equivalent for below the frame, covering bogies, couplers etc.

Harvey B

In simple terms it's an above frame overhaul, so covers things like bodywork, doors etc. including corrosion repair work.

C4 is the equivalent for below the frame, covering bogies, couplers etc.
Thanks

Harvey B

I hope 333008 is the next unit to go into refurbishment, one of the driving cars has had some of the vinyl fall off which I think has been off for a few months anyway.

Screenshot_20190805-231120_YouTube.jpg
SOURCE FOR THE PHOTO:
at 10:35

northernchris

Established Member
333008 is also in a poor internal state, seems worse than the others so I also hope it's next to go!

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
333008 is also in a poor internal state, seems worse than the others so I also hope it's next to go!
One downside of high-backed seats is the accumulation of hair grease and product on the headrests... last time I rode a 333 I did notice how the state of the seats reminded me of the last weeks of the 308s. You don't get that on bus-seated 142s!

xotGD

Established Member
Which unrefurbished unit is the best in terms of internal and external state now that 009 has gone for a refurb
I have not noticed any discernable difference between any of them. I'm just happy to get a seat.

Harvey B

I hope 333008 is the next unit to go into refurbishment, one of the driving cars has had some of the vinyl fall off which I think has been off for a few months anyway.

View attachment 66771
SOURCE FOR THE PHOTO:
at 10:35

Does anyone know how long 333008 has been in this poor state (both internally and externally)

Harvey B

I've asked Northern if they can send 333008 for refurbishment next because of the poor state it's been in so there might be a chance that it goes next although none of us will probably know until the day 333009 comes out

On Moderation
I've asked Northern if they can send 333008 for refurbishment next because of the poor state it's been in so there might be a chance that it goes next although none of us will probably know until the day 333009 comes out
So you think Northern’s engineering team will listen to a spotter, rather than going with the plan they already have?

Harvey B

So you think Northern’s engineering team will listen to a spotter, rather than going with the plan they already have?
1) I don't regard myself as a spotter so they're not listening to a spotter, they're listening to an enthusiast
2) even if the engineering team are told about it it would be from the social media team
3) What is the plan they already have for 333 refurbishments?

Status
Not open for further replies.