• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern accepting Trainee Driver apps again...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Smiler

Phew ! So glad I noticed this, managed to get an application in as well. Now the waiting begins !

Eduardo

Cheers for the heads up matey.

Hey didn't you start your training yesterday?

If so, how was the first day? :D

Silv1983

Cheers for the heads up matey.

Hey didn't you start your training yesterday?

If so, how was the first day? :D

I did indeed! Well, had the company induction yesterday - been at Victoria today for the depot induction. All good stuff. Very impressed that they try and have you passed out and driving in only in 6 months. The real training starts tomorrow I suppose.

Eduardo

That's fantastic. I'm sure you'll be as keen ever to pass out.

A long but worthwhile journey to get there.

I'm still on the recruitment journey!

I'll PM you Silv. Need to pick your brains. :)

Established Member
It's midnight Tuesday, so you still have a few hours left to apply for the driving jobs folks. :)

SDB131

Do Northern still have the rule about only applying for one vacancy at one? They seem to be advertising for trainees at several depots.

Eduardo

Bizarrely it seems to have changed in 24 hours.

The closing date for Man Picc now shows 10/9/2012?!

Make of that what you will.

Popped my app in late last night. Now a little baffled regarding the closing date.

kleb15

I applied for the manc position yesterday and i also applied for the newton heath position a few months back, which i'm still on the shortlist for, anyway i received an email this morning saying i've passed the online test already as i passed it fr the newton heath position and have been put through to the next stage which is shortlisting. Has anybody else received the same email?

rorybreaker

I applied for Lime street back in May. Got to assesment day but got borderline pass on reaction test so didn't sit final interview. When in people opinion should i re apply?

Daniel84

Hi there

First time here for me and unfortunately I've probably found this site a little late for my application. I applied for the vacancy at Manchester yesterday and have just completed the visual comparison test, does anyone have any ideas how long the results take to come back? I completed about 60 questions. If I do make it through I'm not sure my application form will be up the required standard, not helped by not having much time to complete it, but fingers crossed.

Sammy h

Applied for both the Wigan and the Barrow posts today.

Applied for the Liverpool post a month or so back, completed the visual test pretty well I thought, but my application mustn't have been up to scratch.

Improved application and sent again. Now it's time to play my favourite game. The waiting game :)

Ps - quite a short closing date so hopefully less applicants which gives us all a better chance!

bob hope

I've also applied for both of these.
Just checked the status and they are showing as "Visual comparision test complete" :D

Must have kept my results from the sheffield job I applied for two months ago - which ended unsucessfully with the term "Reject After New Application"

I'll not get my hopes up yet then!

Applied for both the Wigan and the Barrow posts today.

Applied for the Liverpool post a month or so back, completed the visual test pretty well I thought, but my application mustn't have been up to scratch.

Improved application and sent again. Now it's time to play my favourite game. The waiting game :)

Ps - quite a short closing date so hopefully less applicants which gives us all a better chance!

How do you get past the initial screening for Northern? They ask if you live within a certain travelling time from the depot and they won't entertain you if not! You can't be within the travelling distance from Liverpool, Wigan and Barrow surely?

Just Wondering!

I had a 'discussion' via email with Northern's HR a while back who point-blank refused to allow me to apply even though I have previous experience and I told them we'd relocate!

Sammy h

How do you get past the initial screening for Northern? They ask if you live within a certain travelling time from the depot and they won't entertain you if not! You can't be within the travelling distance from Liverpool, Wigan and Barrow surely?

Just Wondering!

I had a 'discussion' via email with Northern's HR a while back who point-blank refused to allow me to apply even though I have previous experience and I told them we'd relocate!

I live in Lancaster. Liverpool was probably just over the one hour threshold, but I advised I was willing to relocate.

Wigan and Barrow are well within the one hour commute, but I would probably still relocate.

My applications are now saying Visual Comparison Test complete so they must keep your old results. Good luck everyone :D

Established Member

Just Wondering! I had a 'discussion' via email with Northern's HR a while back who point-blank refused to allow me to apply even though I have previous experience and I told them we'd relocate!

I get the impression they make the rules up as and when it suits them, one job was recently given to an external applicant living 233 miles away, whilst a lady 34 miles away in feedback was told she lived too far away. :lol:

ChrisTheRef

Established Member

Just Wondering!

I think Preston is probably within the threshold for all 3.

If you're just outside, I'd apply anyway. If they really want you, they'll pck you anyway.

mage

Is anybody got an interview yet for the Liverpool, Manchester, Wigan driver positions? They also got 4 more advertised. If i applied for Manchester, Liverpool but i would like Leeds better can i apply for that as well or that would be to much and i have to cancel my first two applications?

ChrisTheRef

Established Member
Apply for Leeds as well.

I'm yet to hear whether I was successful for the Visual Comparison Test for Liverpool or Wigan

1Paul1

Hi all,
Currently applying for the Lime Street driver job which opened a few days ago and now closed. Anyone heard back after taking the visual assessment yet? Hope all is well and best of luck to whoever is currently in the same position I'm currently in. :)

Neil73

I applied for these posts aswell and as I'm sat waiting patiently in Blackpools 'talent pool' from a previous application I too have had an automatic 'by' from the online visual tests so now waiting to hear if I made the shortlist. Got everything crossed but the waiting to hear is torturous :(

kleb15

I applied for these posts aswell and as I'm sat waiting patiently in Blackpools 'talent pool' from a previous application I too have had an automatic 'by' from the online visual tests so now waiting to hear if I made the shortlist. Got everything crossed but the waiting to hear is torturous :(

Hi Neil, how long ago did you apply for the Blackpool position then? Just wondering how long they keep you in the talent pool if you get through.

Neil73

Hi Kleb. It was in early May just before the Manchester & Liverpool recruitment campaign. Received an e-mail in July stating I had passed the sift but they had dropped the Blackpool vacancies from the September programme so my application will stay on file for 6 months in case any future vacancies arise at Blackpool. Not holding my breath as they're looking at filling more posts for Liverpool/Manc and Wigan so we wait and see. Did you apply for Blackpool by the way?

kleb15

Hi Kleb. It was in early May just before the Manchester & Liverpool recruitment campaign. Received an e-mail in July stating I had passed the sift but they had dropped the Blackpool vacancies from the September programme so my application will stay on file for 6 months in case any future vacancies arise at Blackpool. Not holding my breath as they're looking at filling more posts for Liverpool/Manc and Wigan so we wait and see. Did you apply for Blackpool by the way?

No I didn't, I didn't see that one, but i've applied for the Picc vacancy that came up last week, also applied for Leeds and Hull as i'm living in York at the moment, which is more or less bang in the middle of them two. Passed the visual assessment for picc as they used my result from when i applied for the driver operator role at Newton Heath, so now i suppose its just a case of waiting to see what happens.

Neil73

No I didn't, I didn't see that one, but i've applied for the Picc vacancy that came up last week, also applied for Leeds and Hull as i'm living in York at the moment, which is more or less bang in the middle of them two. Passed the visual assessment for picc as they used my result from when i applied for the driver operator role at Newton Heath, so now i suppose its just a case of waiting to see what happens.

Can you get to Skipton within the hr from York? Northern are also wanting drivers there. Completely off topic but was in York a couple of weeks back for a mates stag doo....just about getting over it now :p

kleb15

Can you get to Skipton within the hr from York? Northern are also wanting drivers there. Completely off topic but was in York a couple of weeks back for a mates stag doo....just about getting over it now :p

I looked at Skipton on the map, and it's actually quite far from here, about the same distance from York as Manchester i'd say, but no didn't apply fot that, as thats too much relocation, i'm from Manchester so i have no issue moving back there and like I say i'm in York at the mo, so to work in Leeds or Hull i wouldn't need to relocate. And ye what did you think to York then? Quite a popular destination these days for stag and hen doo's every weekend you'll see several. You enjoy it around here?

Neil73

Ye York was a great place, really enjoyed the bars down by the river. Some of the bars further inside the city were great but they were just far far too busy. Would love to go back, even as a choo choo driver!! :lol:

Best of luck with your applications anyway..
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Just wondering if anyone who has applied for the Manc, Liverpool or Wigan trainee driver roles have heard anything back yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.