• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Class 195: Construction/Introduction Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

railfan100

On Moderation
158s far superior for long distance routes like Nottingham, Blackpool with fewer stops (air con problems accepted)
K

You are of course right but how sad things are when a BREL DMU that was designed in 1987 and produced 1989-1992 is superior to the latest and greatest that has come along for the current operator.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

thejuggler

Some more observations.

The grab handle by the exit door really does need to be yellow, every other handle above seats is this colour. As it is grey and recessed it isn't obvious at all.

Announcing 'we will shortly be arriving in Halifax', before we have arrived in Bradford helps no one.

Toilet out of action.

The screen has a nice arrow which shows the side the doors will open. This is all well and good, but if you are in a seat facing backwards the arrow points in the wrong direction!

Last edited:

jan5468

You are of course right but how sad things are when a BREL DMU that was designed in 1987 and produced 1989-1992 is superior to the latest and greatest that has come along for the current operator.
I can't help but agree. I have been a regular user of the 195's.since they started being used on the Calder Valley line some weeks ago. In fact every service I have travelled on since then has been a 195 until last week when I travelled on an un-refurbished 156. I am sad to say it was a much more pleasant and comfortable experience.
I really wanted to like these new units and am loathe to criticise, but an improvement over previous stock? I'm not convinced.

jfowkes

On a 195 to Nottingham.

Bike space is good, but needs more signage. Very easy to miss the correct door, as every door has some kind of small white-and-blue symbol on it and they look pretty much identical, especially in low light as the train is pulling in. They're also at about knee height, impossible to see if passengers are in the way. The massive "bike space here" and "wheelchair space here" banners above the door need to be applied.

The space itself has tipup seats, which is fine, but again needs more signage so people know they might have to move for a bike. I'm far too polite to ask.

The space itself has seat belts for securing bikes which is excellent as it caters for pretty much everything.

Overall, far from the worst bike spaces on the network (award for that also goes to Northern and the refurbed 158s).

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The space itself has tipup seats, which is fine

It's not. Tip-up seats are a blindingly stupid idea. If it's the bike space, don't go and put desirable seats there (some people quite like them) - and when it's busy it has more value as standee space.

The tip-ups in the standbacks are equally stupid because they stop them being used as standbacks.

Get rid.

LowLevel

Established Member
It's not. Tip-up seats are a blindingly stupid idea. If it's the bike space, don't go and put desirable seats there (some people quite like them) - and when it's busy it has more value as standee space.

The tip-ups in the standbacks are equally stupid because they stop them being used as standbacks.

Get rid.

They're just there to allow a greater seating capacity to be claimed. I hate them. If the train is ever busier enough for them to be used the alternate use for the space will be required.

jfowkes

Get rid.

They're just there to allow a greater seating capacity to be claimed. I hate them. If the train is ever busier enough for them to be used the alternate use for the space will be required.

Fair enough! I would be equally happy if they weren't there.

Class195

Currently on the delayed 12:42 to York which is a three car 195.

We’ve had door problems at nearly every station since I boarded at Hebden Bridge.

Hopefully these problems are ironed out soon because it can’t be doing Northern’s punctuality targets any good when you’re stuck at a station for ten minutes trying to find what the fault is with the doors.

js1000

Pretty sure this happens on all CAF UK stock and it's simply because the door windows are single glazed.
Explains the single glazed screen as you say Bletchleyite although the doors don't appear to be adequately insulated and also collect condensation.

absolutelymilk

Established Member

superkev

Established Member
Currently on the delayed 12:42 to York which is a three car 195.

We’ve had door problems at nearly every station since I boarded at Hebden Bridge.

Hopefully these problems are ironed out soon because it can’t be doing Northern’s punctuality targets any good when you’re stuck at a station for ten minutes trying to find what the fault is with the doors.
It's not the doors it's the ASDO system. Personally I see no need for it on the Calder valley where platforms have been expensively extended and theres a guard who always steps off to see if the platform is still there. Stupid idea.
K

Class195

It's not the doors it's the ASDO system. Personally I see no need for it on the Calder valley where platforms have been expensively extended and theres a guard who always steps off to see if the platform is still there. Stupid idea.
K

Agree.

When we approached Leeds it said please alight from the rear carriage as the train is too big for the platform. We arrived on 9D.

Northern just need to turn off all these annoyingly wrong announcements.

Established Member
No definatly not. Around 16 in store (why) and around 9 still awaited.
K

There are currently eight 195/0s, 22 195/1s, eleven 331/0s and twelve 331/1s which have been reported as being in service. Combined, that's 53 units.

The 195s and 331s in storage are being tested prior to entering service and/or used for training.

thejuggler

16.17 from Bradford to Leeds ex Chester was 6 minutes late and by Halifax was 16 late. Another 195 with problems?

Class195

I’m on the 21:12 Leeds to Manchester Victoria on platform 11D and the door issue has reared its head again, this time on 195 004.

The guard and driver are trying to sort it out.

Embarrassing.

M1544

Very disappointed so far. Every 195 journey I have been on in the last few weeks (5) has had a door issue or announcement problem.
This is more than just an isolated thing and northern need to get it sorted.
Having to force my way through a full train to exit from the local door at the back carriage twice in peak hours so far wasn’t pleasant as the train was full.
Every time the train approaches bradford from Leeds the system says we are now approaching halifax. Then there is the issue of it saying the train is too long for platforms and use another coach. Noted this at both Bradford interchange, halifax and Leeds which all had far longer platforms than the train. The service then suffers overtime whilst all the passengers alight/board.
Considering 195s went into service in the north west last summer you would thing these sorts of things would have been ironed out by now.

SteveM70

Established Member
Oh no they aren’t. Is this just bad programming of the PIS?

Attachments

• 354B3DA9-CE69-4702-9C6F-349BB6511E76.jpeg
    354B3DA9-CE69-4702-9C6F-349BB6511E76.jpeg
    518.3 KB · Views: 127

Dspatula

Has 195013 been seen previously? It’s been one LIV-MIA runs today, seems to have replaced 195010 which appeared on Sunday. This is the first week I’ve seen any 2 car units other than 001, 002 or 007 on this route.

D.K.TAYLOR

Has 195013 been seen previously? It’s been one LIV-MIA runs today, seems to have replaced 195010 which appeared on Sunday. This is the first week I’ve seen any 2 car units other than 001, 002 or 007 on this route.
195013 was working out of Leeds yesterday

Freemo

Had my first taste of one of these this morning. 195015 Sheffield to Leeds. 13 late on departure.

First impression was the seat wasn't as hard as on the refurbed 158 but still a step down from the original seating which I can have a lovely kip on. Legroom and Wifi both good. Surprised by how bumpy it felt.

An alarm went off two or three times at a deafening volume. The announcements were also very loud. Feedback from PA nearly pierced my ear drum.

Brake light came on requiring a full reboot at signal outside Barnsley adding fifteen minutes. Same again at Wakefield, except it didn't work, so they tried again from the rear cab. As I was by the front cab I could hear the various calls being made to control. I wouldn't have been as measured in tone but that's why I'll never be a driver.

Guard kept us informed and people were in good spirits that I can only put down to the festive period. Hope the poor bloke doesn't get the same on a service packed out by weather-related cancellations in mid January.

Arrived Leeds 70 late BUT I was able to whack my laptop out and work despite being stuck, due to Wifi and the presence of a reasonable size seatback table even in airline seats.

Since remote working is the future, maybe they're way ahead of the curve?

Llama

Established Member
Oh no they aren’t. Is this just bad programming of the PIS?
That was meant to have been sorted months ago and is down to a simple Asdo database error, but I'm still shocked that it's not been done yet.

Malay States

Concerning post 3724 and bikes on 195/331 units - if you are wanting to put your bike on these, when the train rolls in look at the yellow panel on the front of the train, and if there is a black blob on the same level but on the opposite side to the unit number, that's the wrong end. It's bikes at one end and wheelchairs at the other end of the train, and the black blob is to notify platform staff which is the wheelchair end. So bikes go at the non-blob end. And I agree the tiny signs on the doors are useless.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Got a coupe of these on Sunday and Monday on Leeds-Nottingham and return.

The outward journey was unremarkable.

Coming back the train PIS managed to get our of sync, being one station out. Once it had corrected it announced we were coming in to a short platform. This was Platform 5 at Sheffield, used for London HSTs without difficulty. At some stations the 'door out of use' warnings showed until the doors were unlocked.

SteveM70

Established Member
it announced we were coming in to a short platform

Same thing happened in Hebden Bridge tonight. 3 carriage 195 in an extended platform and passengers worried they weren’t going to be able to get off. The conductor told me he thought it was happening “because it thinks it’s a 6 carriage train” which strikes me as nonsense because of that was the case it would’ve happened elsewhere on the route

Had a decent journey from Lancaster to Barrow today, bang on time everything in order, SDO as jsual.at Dalton , seat more comfortable than a pendolino standard I had just been on , honestly.

Status
Not open for further replies.