• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Class 195: Construction/Introduction Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Greybeard33

Established Member
The above timings are of course every 2 hours, except the bizarre 13:47 anomaly which should logically be 14:47! So you pretty much are alternating the two.

Is there a reason for that one being off-pattern?
The timings @_toommm_ posted are from the temporary Covid timetable. In the May 2020 Working Timetable the timings remain 3-hourly, interworking with the Barrow services at the Airport - see for example https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/se...20-12-03/0000-2359?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt

Mathew S

Established Member
The timings @_toommm_ posted are from the temporary Covid timetable. In the May 2020 Working Timetable the timings remain 3-hourly, interworking with the Barrow services at the Airport - see for example https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/se...20-12-03/0000-2359?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt
Indeed.

It's possible to grab a copy of the base timetable (thanks @splashoutradio ) from railwaydata.co.uk, via this link http://www.railwaydata.co.uk/timetables/May20/timetable.php?table=MS

Mollman

Established Member
It'll be an entertaining little connundrum for the planners, because of the knock-on impacts on Barrow, and Cumbrian Coast, services. Logically, it'll mean that the Windermere - Aiport runs will have to be return journeys by the same unit, as opposed to the opposite working being to/from Barrow as is the case at the moment. That, in turn, will affect the 'missing' hours in the Barrow - Airport/Airport - Barrow services which further will knock on to which services operate through from Carlisle to Lancaster via the Cumbrian Coast (and vice versa).
None of it is insurmountable, but it's going to be a right little mess for someone to untangle.
I presume they have planned for that anyway as before it got Garylinged some of the 331s were destined to work the electrified Windermere line anyway.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I presume they have planned for that anyway as before it got Garylinged some of the 331s were destined to work the electrified Windermere line anyway.

The running time from Windermere to the Airport appears to be 2 hours and 4 minutes, inconveniently.

You can do Oxenholme-Windermere-Oxenholme as a shuttle in an hour with layovers. So if you add that on, each "cycle" (Airport-Windermere-Oxenholme-Windermere-Airport) would be 5 hours and 8 minutes. Slightly inconvenient, but if you take that to 6 hours that's probably a sensible layover of 52 minutes in the whole cycle to cover the long distance round trip. Not sure if the Airport could accommodate this for a 4-car unit? If not, it could perhaps operate all stations on the Airport line to slow it down a bit?

6 hours is quite a nice length for the cycle, as that could do a 2 hourly long distance service plus a shuttle in between using the 3 units ordered. Spares could come from the Class 195 pool, i.e. if the EMU isn't available, just use a pair of 2-car DMUs, or if there's a real shortage that day put a spare EMU on, run it to Oxenholme only and put a bus on for the last bit.

Not running Barrow quite as frequently would also free up a couple of 195s for other uses. I'm pretty sure in the 90s it was more or less alternated, it's TPE's tenure that cut it right back and turned the fairly neat NorthWest Express timetable into the present inconsistent mess.

Greybeard33

Established Member
The running time from Windermere to the Airport appears to be 2 hours and 4 minutes, inconveniently.

You can do Oxenholme-Windermere-Oxenholme as a shuttle in an hour with layovers. So if you add that on, each "cycle" (Airport-Windermere-Oxenholme-Windermere-Airport) would be 5 hours and 8 minutes. Slightly inconvenient, but if you take that to 6 hours that's probably a sensible layover of 52 minutes in the whole cycle to cover the long distance round trip. Not sure if the Airport could accommodate this for a 4-car unit? If not, it could perhaps operate all stations on the Airport line to slow it down a bit?

6 hours is quite a nice length for the cycle, as that could do a 2 hourly long distance service plus a shuttle in between using the 3 units ordered. Spares could come from the Class 195 pool, i.e. if the EMU isn't available, just use a pair of 2-car DMUs, or if there's a real shortage that day put a spare EMU on, run it to Oxenholme only and put a bus on for the last bit.

Not running Barrow quite as frequently would also free up a couple of 195s for other uses. I'm pretty sure in the 90s it was more or less alternated, it's TPE's tenure that cut it right back and turned the fairly neat NorthWest Express timetable into the present inconsistent mess.
When/if the full timetable resumes, the Windermere/Barrow services will have to go into the Airport on top of the TfW train in most hours. But that is not a problem, because a 4-car 331 will fit in half an Airport platform.

Mollman

Established Member
I'm pretty sure in the 90s it was more or less alternated, it's TPE's tenure that cut it right back and turned the fairly neat NorthWest Express timetable into the present inconsistent mess.
Yes it was alternate Barrow and Windermere with a Windermere branch shuttle on the non-through hours. The transfere of Manchester - Scotland trains to TPE was what messed it up.

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
Just rode 195,106 from LPY to MIA.

I was sat over the front bogie in the second carriage, my god the ride is rough. At one point it was like we were travelling over the welded sections on the rail head at a terminus the vibration was so bad.

Dspatula

195112 was on the Liverpool-Manchester Airport stopper which was an odd sub but worth noting it was keeping the 319 timings.

NoMorePacers

Established Member
195112 was on the Liverpool-Manchester Airport stopper which was an odd sub but worth noting it was keeping the 319 timings.
Then again, a horse and cart could probably keep up with a 319's timings. Throw in some precipitation and the horsebox would arrive at each station early.

superkev

Established Member
How goes the last 195 deliveries. Last I heard 195 132, 133 where still awated with 195 131 on test.
Also how goes what must be the worlds most protracted shed build for them at Newson Heath. Must be nearing its 3rd year now.
Thanks
K

Geeves

Established Member
133 is not showing in the system yet so presuming that means its still in Spain or is it a Newport model? 131 and 132 both showing no work today.

Chorley Cake

133 is not showing in the system yet so presuming that means its still in Spain or is it a Newport model? 131 and 132 both showing no work today.
Any ideas on where 131 & 132 are please ? Also, has 021 returned yet ?

Geeves

Established Member
Its not showing any locations on the units for any of them unfortunately Chorley Cake, just waiting transfer. I would guess 131 is in Liverpool somewhere

northernchris

Established Member
195022 is now in passenger service, which I think just leaves 020 and 021 of the 2 car sets to enter service

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Presumably. Better all be booked 4-car; that's all I can say. Would rather sit on a Pacer than stand on a new unit.

Is this the first case where they have directly replaced Pacers rather than making 150s available from a cascade? What was the reason for doing this? I guess line capacity due to the performance?

Killingworth

Established Member
175001 said "Confirmation today from West director that 195s are on the Hope Valley Line from next month."

That was supposed to be happening fom May, but not all trains. I've seen an intended breakdown from Sheffield starting from 14th September, but you know what they say about good intentions.

This might be what happens, subject to stock availability and unforeseen mishaps. Don't blame me or my informant if it doesn't work out this way, because it probably won't! (Currently most are 2x150.)

"The HV stoppers should be formed as follows from 14/09:

0710: 195/1

0833: 150

0914: 195/0

1014: 195/1

1114: 150

1214: 195/0

1314: 195/1

1414: 150

1545: 195/0

1614: 195/1

1714: 150