• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Class 195: Construction/Introduction Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Train

Established Member
195003 and 195006 have been in service for a while now, definitely since before lockdown. 018 has been in service, but noticed it parked in Doncaster last week so may now be on driver training duties

Apologies for the delay in responding, but thanks very much for this info Chris. It's much appreciated :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

childwallblues

Established Member
195023 seen in service at Preston 04/09 coupled up to '024 operating 1B21 from Leeds and departing back to Leeds on 1B26 at 1146.

Don't know when it entered service though.

Cheers
195020 was paired with 142009 on Lime Street to Oxford Road service yesterday. 195122 was on the same service.

Mex I can

I saw 006 on an ECS move from Doncaster to Sheffield earlier, would that be a training run? There was a similar trip a few days ago, but I didn’t catch the number.

supervc-10

Cars are different, I'm only referring to rail transport as everyone on the road pretty much is a risk taking muppet anyways and I'm used to that even just being a pasenger as I don't drive yet, I'm not old enough.

Anyway, moving on!

Think you need to live a little buddy

I don't think we've seen any particular issues with operators on the continent and their safety when it comes to applying the brakes.

squizzler

Established Member
Think you need to live a little buddy

I don't think we've seen any particular issues with operators on the continent and their safety when it comes to applying the brakes.
I immediately thought of this classic picture. However I have ridden trains from Granville to Montparnasse station myself in recent years and the practice has evidently improved since. I can report that no arrivals resulted in the motive power smashing through the terminal facade in a manner similarly reminiscent of the chest-bursting scene in the Alien movie.
1280px-Train_wreck_at_Montparnasse_1895.jpg

On Moderation
You are sure?, as 195's have Dellner auto-couplers, whereas 142's have BSI couplers.
I’m not sure what the motivation was for his post was, because as you say they cannot work together. Worse, the unit quoted (142009) was cut up earlier the year.

Chorley Cake

For anyone interested both 131 and 132 are stabled on Newton Heath this afternoon. Easily visible from the depot entrance on Dean Lane.

johnnychips

Established Member
Just a note to say it was amazing to have 195s on the Hope Valley route today. I got one from New Mills to Sheffield, and the improvement on 142s and 150s was phenomenal. Arrived early at every station except Sheffield where we got stuck outside the station waiting to access the platform.

Killingworth

Established Member
Yes, it's good to see 195s on 2 out of 3 Hope Valley diagrams at present.

Saw 195102 at Edale yesterday, 13 minutes late thanks to following a 20 minute late East Midlands Liverpool-Norwich that had been held up at Warrington. Thanks to that delay it eventually got to Norwich 28 minutes late.

The 195 was 16 minutes late into Sheffield and inevitably 11 minutes late back out again, arriving into Piccadilly 6 minutes late! No doubt
many other trains were late as a result of something west of Piccadilly many hours before. More trains mean more delays! Normality is slowly returning.

Incidentally Edale station was busy yesterday.

IMG_20200918_154441.jpg

221101 Voyager

Established Member
How much capacity drop is 3 car 195 from 4 car 150? Can't imagine it's much given the longer carriages on the former
204 seats on 195/1 compared to up to 298 on a 4 car 150 depending on how the 150 has been configured. 298 seats for a 150 is with two units that contain the highest number of seats at 149 each but could be a low as 248 if two of the lowest capacity ones ae together.
Hope this helps. ;)

py_megapixel

Established Member
204 seats on 195/1 compared to up to 298 on a 4 car 150 depending on how the 150 has been configured. 298 seats for a 150 is with two units that contain the highest number of seats at 149 each but could be a low as 248 if two of the lowest capacity ones ae together.
Hope this helps. ;)
That probably isn't too bad given the massively increased standing room on a 195 then...

northernchris

Established Member
Yeah that is a bit of an issue. It’s largely just handles on some seats if I remember correctly.

Although I wonder if this was a deliberate choice to try to encourage standing passengers to move down the aisles rather than congregate in the doorways slowing down boarding and alighting

py_megapixel

Established Member
Although I wonder if this was a deliberate choice to try to encourage standing passengers to move down the aisles rather than congregate in the doorways slowing down boarding and alighting
If that was their concern then they should have done away with the fold-down seats next to the doorways...

Deerfold

Veteran Member

There's a large area outside the loo, away from the doors with hardly anything to hold onto.

Gostav

Yes, it's good to see 195s on 2 out of 3 Hope Valley diagrams at present.

Saw 195102 at Edale yesterday, 13 minutes late thanks to following a 20 minute late East Midlands Liverpool-Norwich that had been held up at Warrington. Thanks to that delay it eventually got to Norwich 28 minutes late.

The 195 was 16 minutes late into Sheffield and inevitably 11 minutes late back out again, arriving into Piccadilly 6 minutes late! No doubt
many other trains were late as a result of something west of Piccadilly many hours before. More trains mean more delays! Normality is slowly returning.

Incidentally Edale station was busy yesterday.

View attachment 83709

I was at Edale on Saturday afternoon and l felt travelled on the new 195 even worse than on an old 150s through Hope Valley Line.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.