• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Class 195: Construction/Introduction Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barnsley

There was a 195 on the slow 20:32 Leeds to Sheffield Hallam this evening! :o

It still feels really weird to be sat on one travelling this line for some reason! (Probably because we've been so used to pacers and more recently 150/158!)
The 20:32 is now booked for a 195, 195016 allocated tonight, it comes from Man Vic as a 4-car then splits, all well and good until only one unit turns up, and I bet I know which train would get cancelled!!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Killingworth

Established Member
This year the 195s that were working Nottingham - Sheffield - Leeds have gone replaced by a variety of 150/156/158s. They were working 2 out of 3 services on the Hope Valley stoppers but they've gone too.

On Hope Valley they're mostly replaced by hourly 4 car trains. That may be to provide capacity to cover for EMR and TPE cutting fast services by roughly 50%.

Saw a 195 run through Dore today apparently picking up the westbound path for the removed TPE from Sheffield at 11.11. Presumably crew training or stock reallocation. I don't see it on RTT.

LowLevel

Established Member
This year the 195s that were working Nottingham - Sheffield - Leeds have gone replaced by a variety of 150/156/158s. They were working 2 out of 3 services on the Hope Valley stoppers but they've gone too.

On Hope Valley they're mostly replaced by hourly 4 car trains. That may be to provide capacity to cover for EMR and TPE cutting fast services by roughly 50%.

Saw a 195 run through Dore today apparently picking up the westbound path for the removed TPE from Sheffield at 11.11. Presumably crew training or stock reallocation. I don't see it on RTT.

195s are still making it to Nottingham though the majority of trains are certainly 158s again.

Hope Valley seems a mix of 4 x 150 with the odd 156 and 3 x 195.

Adam0984

There won't be any 156s on the Notts to Leeds as Sheffield depot don't sign them.

The 195 was this probably just moving units around

Mack91

There won't be any 156s on the Notts to Leeds as Sheffield depot don't sign them.
Second that; there hasn't been a 156 work the Sheffield - Barnsley - Kirkgate route for years!

Some 195/0s have made appearances on the Leeds - Barnsley - Sheffield stopping services since the reduced timetable came into effect.

Neptune

Established Member
The reduced timetable replicates pre September which includes fleet deployment. Once the Dec ‘20 timetable resumes (possibly May, possibly before) then the 195’s will reappear on the Nottingham service.

With regards 156’s, Leeds depot don’t sign them either since they stopped coming East in Dec ‘19 when the Calder Valley 195 timetable commenced.

Mugby

Established Member
I've seen 3-car 195s working into Sheffield from Manchester but all other services out of Sheffield appear to be 2-car sets.

Are there any 3-car sets allocated to the Eastern side of the Pennines?

Halish Railway

Established Member
I've seen 3-car 195s working into Sheffield from Manchester but all other services out of Sheffield appear to be 2-car sets.

Are there any 3-car sets allocated to the Eastern side of the Pennines?
In terms of depot allocations they’re all maintained at Newton Heath, I can’t recall a single time that a 195 has been to Neville Hill, although I have seen a 3-car unit go to York Siemens Trans Systems, but that was before they operated passenger services to and from York.

I’m not sure if there are any 3-car units that are stabled at Holbeck sidings, although it is quite common to have a two-car unit stabled there after detaching from a 3-car unit that would have worked a peak Calder Valley line service.

M60lad

I know that in the past that even during the day there used to be quite a number of 195s stabled up at Newton Heath next to the Metrolink lines, now whether this is the case with the reduced timetable again I'm not to sure as I haven't been that way since being put on furlough from work again.

Efini92

Established Member
The reduced timetable replicates pre September which includes fleet deployment. Once the Dec ‘20 timetable resumes (possibly May, possibly before) then the 195’s will reappear on the Nottingham service.

With regards 156’s, Leeds depot don’t sign them either since they stopped coming East in Dec ‘19 when the Calder Valley 195 timetable commenced.
I’ve only seen 195’s at Nottingham

Neptune

Established Member
Yes 2Nxx Leeds - Sheffield via Moorthorpe becomes 1Yxx Sheffield - Nottingham then returns the same.

In terms of depot allocations they’re all maintained at Newton Heath, I can’t recall a single time that a 195 has been to Neville Hill, although I have seen a 3-car unit go to York Siemens Trans Systems, but that was before they operated passenger services to and from York.

I’m not sure if there are any 3-car units that are stabled at Holbeck sidings, although it is quite common to have a two-car unit stabled there after detaching from a 3-car unit that would have worked a peak Calder Valley line service.
I stand to be corrected, but I thought the 195s were based at Edge Hill.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Just a gentle reminder that this thread is to discuss Northern 195 construction and updates please :)

Any suggestions/ideas are very welcome provided they are posted in the
Speculative Ideas section

I have moved some posts to that section accordingly.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Just a gentle reminder that this thread is to discuss Northern 195 construction and updates please :)

Any suggestions/ideas are very welcome provided they are posted in the
Speculative Ideas section

I have moved some posts to that section accordingly.

Is it worth locking this thread now that all 195s are in service? We have another thread for their diagrams anyhow.

Roger B

Is it worth locking this thread now that all 195s are in service? We have another thread for their diagrams anyhow.
It has been stated on this forum that 195021 has not yet been service. It's expected back from CAF Newport on 28th (according to the Northern Units Refurbishment) thread. I'd like to see this thread remain open until it's entered service. Then job done, close the thread.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
It has been stated on this forum that 195021 has not yet been service. It's expected back from CAF Newport on 28th (according to the Northern Units Refurbishment) thread. I'd like to see this thread remain open until it's entered service. Then job done, close the thread.

Ah so it returned yesterday. Any RTT link or was it carried by road?

simon7929

156447 has returned from Eastleigh. And 158853 has returned from Bristol.

The last two unrefurbished 158s, 791 and 861 are still at Crewe.

Roger B

Well, 28th Feb has come and gone, with no reported sighting / return of 195021. Is there a revised date for its return / entry into service?

Killingworth

Established Member
Well, 28th Feb has come and gone, with no reported sighting / return of 195021. Is there a revised date for its return / entry into service?
Come to that where have all the 195s gone? They've disappeared off Nottingham-Sheffield-Leeds and are absent from Hope Valley stoppers since the latest reduced timetables came in.

Are they deployed elsewhere, or holed up to save wear and tear? Users of these two routes have been assured they will get them back when the December timetable returns.

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
Come to that where have all the 195s gone? They've disappeared off Nottingham-Sheffield-Leeds and are absent from Hope Valley stoppers since the latest reduced timetables came in.

Are they deployed elsewhere, or holed up to save wear and tear? Users of these two routes have been assured they will get them back when the December timetable returns.

Still plenty on the Chester to Leeds.

Mack91

Maybe not to the same extent as they did when first introduced, but plenty of the Leeds - Barnsley - Sheffield fast services are using 195/0s. The occasional stopping service does too. The rest of the diagrams for the fast trains are usually 158s, though I have noticed a couple of 150/2s somehow be employed on these recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.