• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Class 195: Construction/Introduction Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Roger B

195021 still not in service ? Where is it and what is its status ?
Just for clarity - I meant that the admins should delete my post #4682, NOT the thread. AFAIAC, introduction is not complete until 195021 is in service. So like you I'm keen to see the thread remain open until 195021 is in service.

Bob figgis

It was last reported working mileage accumulation off Edge Hill, but I haven’t seen it mentioned since most of the fleet got grounded due to the yaw damper cracks. But with the amount of time it spent out of service with accident damage, if this did have the yaw damper cracks, the hope would have been that these would have been found and rectified whilst out of service.

skyhigh

Established Member
It was last reported working mileage accumulation off Edge Hill, but I haven’t seen it mentioned since most of the fleet got grounded due to the yaw damper cracks. But with the amount of time it spent out of service with accident damage, if this did have the yaw damper cracks, the hope would have been that these would have been found and rectified whilst out of service.
You'd struggle to describe it as 'most of the fleet' grounded, it's not even 25% of the fleet currently affected.

1D53

Established Member
021 has a few bits to sort and then it should be fit for service.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
I Tweeted Northern today and asked for the location and status of 195021 but the answer merely said that it wasn't working today.

skyhigh

Established Member
I Tweeted Northern today and asked for the location and status of 195021 but the answer merely said that it wasn't working today.
I'm yet to be convinced they do anything other than check what RTT says the unit is doing these days.

Geeves

Established Member
They likely do have access to Gemini but even so its not going to say much more than "Awaiting transfer" and the location shown is not up to date either.

themiller

With it having been out of service, the cracks (if present) may not have had time to propagate to the same extent as it’s classmates. Only time and NDE will tell.

Has anyone got any news on the progress of the 'stopped' 195s and 331s reentering service, please?
Northern's timetables would seem to be offering a near normal service commencing 17th May.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member

superkev

Established Member
I don't think there is much news yet but the thread with the discussion can be found here:-

www.railforums.co.uk/threads/northern-withdraws-some-caf-trains-due-to-yaw-bracket-failures.216119/page-
Link didn't work for me.
According to the local paper 30 units are now laid up and the fix will take seveal months.
24 trains from Northern Rail's new electric (Class 331) and diesel (Class 195) fleets were recently withdrawn after being found to have a problem with a shock absorber designed to prevent swaying in the carriages.

And on Friday a meeting of West Yorkshire Combined Authority's Transport Committee will hear that modifications required to deal with the fault are likely to take "several months."

Last edited by a moderator:

northernchris

Established Member
Link didn't work for me.
According to the local paper 30 units are now laid up and the fix will take seveal months.

Although in the same report Northern say its 24 trains out of action which is only 2 more than were initially withdrawn 5 weeks ago. The interim fix sounds promising though to at least get units back in service

Harvey B

Link didn't work for me.
They say the Harrogate line is affected but as Far as Im aware, it only uses 170's and 158's

Roger B

195021 in service today....

Thanks Chorley Cake. Just spotted it myself, and went to post on this thread, and you'd beaten me to it :lol:

Mods - feel free to close this thread - there's already a separate thread to discuss 195 yaw damper issues: https://www.railforums.co.uk/thread...af-trains-due-to-yaw-bracket-failures.216119/. Over and out!

Last edited:

John C

Roger B

Managed to capture 195021 this morning. I noticed it did not appear to have working destinations, only 195006 on the rear was displaying its destination of Leeds.

According to RTT 195021 is shuttling between LDS and MCV, then LDS and CTR, finishing off with a LDS to SHF where it stables overnight.

John C

195021 Just passed through Sowerby bridge. Noticed it had a strengthened bodyside above one of the Yaw dampers.
K
Just looked on one of my photos from earlier, is it this part you are referring to, I’d not noticed it until I looked again after seeing your post.

Attachments

• 58E6ABD8-AD6E-48C6-A124-7D8D568EA42A.jpeg
    58E6ABD8-AD6E-48C6-A124-7D8D568EA42A.jpeg
    615.6 KB · Views: 135

superkev

Established Member
Just looked on one of my photos from earlier, is it this part you are referring to, I’d not noticed it until I looked again after seeing your post.
Yes that's the part. Doesn't look as substantial as the pic of the additional steelwork posted on the thread below. Perhaps you could post the pic on there

Northern withdraws some CAF trains due to yaw bracket failures​

too.
K

Status
Not open for further replies.