• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Class 331: Construction/Introduction Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harvey B

Fair enough, but it really does come across that way, I am extremely abrupt myself at times and have to reel it in. I could have done it to another poster earlier on. I’ve put a stack of posts on about the other sets arriving at Edge Hill and saying so, so I thought it was obvious that I was at Edge Hill.
Fair enoigh, all I can say is you learn everyday

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jamesrob637

Established Member
So would the 331 disintegrate if it reached the magical ton? :lol: in all fairness though it's great to finally have these shiny new trains for the second half of 2019 even if they're months late. In case you want to know what a REAL delay to introduction is, just look up München-Nürnberg Express. That makes Northern look good!

superkev

Established Member
Are there anymore 331s to transfer to Leeds?
I have 4 car 331 101, 102, 105, 106, 110, 111 currently allocated to Neville hill with the remaining 6 presumably to follow when sufficient drivers are trained and siding space created by withdrawing the 321s and 322s (ride em while you can)
A reminder that Leeds was originally to get the 3 cars and run them in pairs but delays with the required platform extensions have scuppered this. The 4 cars have 2 plus 2 seating so have less seats than the units displaced.
K

Last edited:

northernchris

Established Member
A reminder that Leeds was originally to get the 3 cars and run them in pairs but delays with the required platform extensions have scuppered this. The 4 cars have 2 plus 2 seating so have less seats than the units displaced.
K

Is there much of a difference in total number of seats compared with a 321/2?

anamyd

On Moderation
I have 4 car 331 001, 002, 005, 006, 010, 011 currently allocated to Neville hill with the remaining 6 presumably to follow when sufficient drivers are trained and siding space created by withdrawing the 321s and 322s (ride em while you can)
K

4-car 331/0...?

I thought that the subclasses for the Northern CAF units are:

331/0 - 3-car EMU
331/1 - 4-car EMU
(195/0 - 2-car DMU)
(195/1 - 3-car DMU)

driver_m

Established Member
There are a couple more 4 cars at Edge Hill to come over presumably. Unfortunately 103 has had a visit from the spray paint sheep who can obviously ‘tag tug’ themselves silly over damaging a new unit. It has had an effort, if I can call it that, at being got rid of.
009 is also here if that’s not been mentioned already. They’re starting to pile up again on Edge Hill

Harvey B

There are a couple more 4 cars at Edge Hill to come over presumably. Unfortunately 103 has had a visit from the spray paint sheep who can obviously ‘tag tug’ themselves silly over damaging a new unit. It has had an effort, if I can call it that, at being got rid of.
009 is also here if that’s not been mentioned already. They’re starting to pile up again on Edge Hill
Thats bad and on a new unit too. These Idiots need to stop doing stuff like this (especially on completely new trains)

CHAPS2034

Are there anymore 331s to transfer to Leeds?

I have 4 car 331 101, 102, 105, 106, 110, 111 currently allocated to Neville hill with the remaining 6 presumably to follow when sufficient drivers are trained and siding space created by withdrawing the 321s and 322s (ride em while you can)
K

I'm sure Harvey B has been so busy posting here and there that he forgot to say thank you superkev. :rolleyes: So I'll do it instead - thanks for the gen. :smile:

superalbs

Established Member
I copped a ride on 331106 today from Sandal and Agbrigg to Leeds. They are amazing trains, and I really enjoyed my journey. The seats are poor, but perfectly acceptable for the metro journeys they are to be used on. Of course being ironing boards, you so worry, but thankfully it's of a different design to the GTR and ScotRail variants, so is tolerable.

The announcements were thankfully broken, so no comments on those. There was an annoying whirring sound throughout the journey, coming from the ceiling, might have been aircon.

Ride quality was good, and performance was good too. The doors are a bit slow to release, but it seemed to mostly be them trying to figure out how to open them, so that should sort itself out. Build quality was faultless to me.

I can definitely see these electric sets becoming a firm favourite for passengers in this area. Next up - the diesel units, on a 158 to pick up a set from Manchester. Very impressive stuff so far.

Mathew S

Established Member
I copped a ride on 331106 today from Sandal and Agbrigg to Leeds. They are amazing trains, and I really enjoyed my journey. The seats are poor, but perfectly acceptable for the metro journeys they are to be used on. Of course being ironing boards, you so worry, but thankfully it's of a different design to the GTR and ScotRail variants, so is tolerable.

The announcements were thankfully broken, so no comments on those. There was an annoying whirring sound throughout the journey, coming from the ceiling, might have been aircon.

Ride quality was good, and performance was good too. The doors are a bit slow to release, but it seemed to mostly be them trying to figure out how to open them, so that should sort itself out. Build quality was faultless to me.

I can definitely see these electric sets becoming a firm favourite for passengers in this area. Next up - the diesel units, on a 158 to pick up a set from Manchester. Very impressive stuff so far.
There's a 30 minute delay on one of the 195 diagrams, so expect disruption once you get to Manchester. Northern are having a very, well, Northern day.

Bantamzen

Established Member

Good to hear they are nice trains, looking forward to them eventually working the Aire / Wharfe triangle too, although I fear the tables & USB sockets will be very, very popular with the morning commuters heading for their LNER connections in Leeds.....

There's a 30 minute delay on one of the 195 diagrams, so expect disruption once you get to Manchester. Northern are having a very, well, Northern day.

Its unfortunate no doubt, but sometimes snags only come to light when units go into service (this is true of just about any new project). Name me one type of new / refurbishment that hasn't had some in recent years when introduced onto the network!

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Gentle reminder that this is the 331 thread and whilst it's fine (and indeed encouraged) to post opinions and thoughts on them as people start to get to use them on this thread if you've got questions relating to what service they're on or will be on then please use the diagram thread which can be found here.

palmersears

Established Member
There was an annoying whirring sound throughout the journey, coming from the ceiling, might have been aircon.

I had that on my 195, sounds quite spaceship-like? Happens every couple of minutes or so. I thought it might be the aircon as well but couldn't be sure.

superalbs

Established Member
I had that on my 195, sounds quite spaceship-like? Happens every couple of minutes or so. I thought it might be the aircon as well but couldn't be sure.
The 331 made it constantly, as well as the noise you describe. My subsequent units, all 195, have not made the noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.