• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Powerhouse Rail (NPR) - Latest plans & speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Purple Orange

On Moderation
Of my first taste of geography at primary school, England's ten largest cities are:

1) London
2) Birmingham
3) Liverpool
4) Sheffield
5) Leeds
6) Manchester
7) Bristol
8) Leicester
9) Kingston upon Hull
10) Coventry

This was based on what the population was back in 1981. Bradford is just outside at Number 11.

Perhaps Northern Powerhouse Rail should have a look at a high speed route to Kingston upon Hull as well as Bradford/Leeds/York etc?

You need to go back to school. Or at least you need to consult a map.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
City size is completely arbitrary, do you really think Hull and Coventry are bigger than say, Newcastle?

Not today.

You need to go back to school. Or at least you need to consult a map.

Did you see the phrase "This was based on what the population was back in 1981" in my previous post?

I was surprised with 3) and 4) as in later years I believed it was Manchester and Liverpool respectively.

Has Manchester always been lumped in with its Siamese Twin neighbour and city in its own right Salford? It could be said that would be cheating to a certain extent.

Glenn1969

Established Member
Current populations of city authority areas (min pop 300,000) (ONS 2019)

Birmingham 1,141,816
Leeds 793,139
Sheffield 584,853
Manchester 552,858
Bradford 539,776
Liverpool 498,042
Bristol 463,377
Coventry 371,521
Leicester 354,224
Wakefield 348,312
Nottingham: 332,900
Newcastle 302,820

This list does not include any London boroughs but I accept London as the largest City area in UK. It is just divided into 32 borough the largest of which by population are Barnet, Croydon and Newham

i hope a way can be found for HS2,HS3/NPR to benefit most of these areas

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Current populations of city authority areas (min pop 300,000) (ONS 2019)

Birmingham 1,141,816
Leeds 793,139
Sheffield 584,853
Manchester 552,858
Bradford 539,776
Liverpool 498,042
Bristol 463,377
Coventry 371,521
Leicester 354,224
Wakefield 348,312
Nottingham: 332,900
Newcastle 302,820

This list does not include any London boroughs but I accept London as the largest City area in UK. It is just divided into 32 borough the largest of which by population are Barnet, Croydon and Newham

i hope a way can be found for HS2,HS3/NPR to benefit most of these areas
Authority areas are completely irrelevant for these purposes. For all sorts of reasons some built-up areas are split between authorities and some are covered by a single larger authority. The key factors will be the population within the catchment of a particular station, and the tendency of those people to want to travel to elsewhere on the route or people elsewhere on the route to visit that place.

Purple Orange

On Moderation
Not today.

Did you see the phrase "This was based on what the population was back in 1981" in my previous post?

I was surprised with 3) and 4) as in later years I believed it was Manchester and Liverpool respectively.

Has Manchester always been lumped in with its Siamese Twin neighbour and city in its own right Salford? It could be said that would be cheating to a certain extent.

This is an age old debate. Greater London has 32 boroughs. Greater Manchester has 10 boroughs. Yet we seem to accept that all 32 boroughs and all 9 million people constitute London, even if your address is not London. Some people don’t seem to accept that all 10 boroughs and 3 million in Greater Manchester are Manchester. What is the difference between Greater London and London? What is the difference between Greater London and Greater Manchester?

If you live in Prestwich, Radcliffe or Whitefield, you live in Manchester but your borough council is Bury. If you live in Middleton, you live in Manchester butyour borough council is Rochdale. If you live in Chadderton or Failsworth, you live in Manchester but your borough council is Oldham. If you live in Audenshawe, Denton or Droylsden, you live in Manchester but your borough council is Tameside. If you live in Stretford, Old Trafford, Urmston or Flixton, you live in Manchester, but your borough council is Trafford. If you live in Eccles, Swinton, Walkden, Little Hulton, Worsley or Irlam, you live in Manchester but your borough council is Salford. If you live in Atherton or Tyldsley you live in Manchester but your borough council is Wigan.

Nottingham59

Established Member
I find night-time satellite images help me think about the relative sizes of the various conurbations in the UK.

london_lights_2012087_lrg (crop).jpg

london_lights_2012087_lrg (crop2).jpg

(Image Sourced from https://eoimages.gsfc.nasa.gov/images/imagerecords/78000/78674/london_lights_2012087_lrg.jpg)

From this perspective, I'd say that Leeds, Bradford, Wakefield and Huddersfield should have a 12tph metro shuttle service between the city centres. And that would be more useful than two stops in West Yorkshire on any NPR High Speed line between the city regions of Liverpool - Manchester - West Yorkshire - Tyneside

Last edited:

Ianno87

Veteran Member
"My city is bigger than your city!"

"My Dad is bigger than your Dad!"

Etc

Glenn1969

Established Member
That's Greater Manchester. I think people who live in Bolton, Wigan, Bury, Rochdale , Oldham, Stockport et all would be annoyed to be told their town are actually just suburbs of Manchester

Purple Orange

On Moderation
That's Greater Manchester. I think people who live in Bolton, Wigan, Bury, Rochdale , Oldham, Stockport et all would be annoyed to be told their town are actually just suburbs of Manchester
Not at all, that is conflating the boroughs with the towns. Bury has circa 100,000 people living in it, but circa 200,000 in the borough. Are you going to tell the person who lives in Prestwich, Manchester, M25 or the person who lives in Urmston, Manchester, M41 that they don’t live in Manchester because their borough council is different? So the people from Bury, the town, are from Bury, yet the people from the same borough but live in Prestwich are from Manchester. That is why the council boundaries do not reflect the size of our cities.

Are people who live in Wetherby from a town called Wetherby or a city called Leeds with miles of countryside between the two?

Glenn1969

Established Member
M41 is a postcode. By the same token people from Todmorden must be confused because they have an Oldham postcode but live in Yorkshire

Purple Orange

On Moderation
M41 is a postcode. By the same token people from Todmorden must be confused because they have an Oldham postcode but live in Yorkshire

Yes M41 is just a postcode, but their address is Urmston, Manchester or Prestwich, Manchester. It’s not Urmston, Trafford or Prestwich, Bury which is the point I was making.

snowball

Established Member
Can we please have a separate permanent thread for discussions about city populations and boundaries and keep them out of threads about rail projects?

Glenn1969

Established Member
I see it as important because it shows clearly that Bradford as an authority area should benefit from NPR due to quite a big catchment area

Purple Orange

On Moderation
Can we please have a separate permanent thread for discussions about city populations and boundaries and keep them out of threads about rail projects?

Fine. I think I’ve made clearly made the point that council boundaries are no reflection of the size of a given town or city.
I see it as important because it shows clearly that Bradford as an authority area should benefit from NPR due to quite a big catchment area
And perhaps it should, but to do that we need to be consistent.

joeneat

Not today.

Local authority areas are no reflection of the size of a city. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_urban_areas_in_the_United_Kingdom

Last edited:

SuperNova

Here's the issue - more areas should benefit too. It's a shortcoming of this project which has largely been driven by those only interested (TfN) in city regions to an extent, and not even all the city regions in the North of England. How does NPR in its current guise benefit Wakefield? It doesn't, Teesside too.

Purple Orange

On Moderation

Glenn1969

Established Member
It's also interesting that a lot of existing lines (to Hull, Newcastle and Sheffield via both Marple and Stockport) are listed as NPR routes

WAO

I've heard of Rotherham Central and Rotherham Masborough but where is Rotherham Mainline or Parkgate?

WAO

Glenn1969

Established Member
New NPR station that TfN want Sunak to fund I think. Barnsley Dearne Valley is a planned HS2b/NPR station. Trouble is how many people still think HS2 will actually reach Leeds?

WatcherZero

Established Member
CorridorPreferred network optionsBest current stopping serviceBest potential stopping service with Northern Powerhouse Rail
FrequencyMinutesFrequencyMinutes
Leeds - NewcastleInfrastructure upgrades and use of HS2
(Stops - York, Darlington, Durham)
381-91472.5
Leeds - HullInfrastructure upgrades
(Stops - Selby, Brough)
156-63250
Sheffield - LeedsInfrastructure upgrades and use of HS2
(Stops - Rotherham Main Line/Barnsley Dearne Valley)
139-42423.5
Sheffield - HullInfrastructure upgrades
(Stops - Rotherham Main Line/Meadowhall, Doncaster, Selby/Goole, Brough)
176-84266
Manchester - SheffieldInfrastructure upgrades
(Stops - Stockport/Hope/Dore)
249-57434.5
Manchester - LeedsNew line serving central Bradford
(Stops - Bradford)
448-61630
Liverpool - ManchesterNew line via central Warrington
(Stops - Warrington, Manchester Airport)
435-51629.5

Last edited:

Glenn1969

Established Member
but I guess time will tell re whether Sunak is prepared to fund these preferred options and whether HS2 will actually get to Leeds or be descoped to finish at Toton

takno

Established Member
but I guess time will tell re whether Sunak is prepared to fund these preferred options and whether HS2 will actually get to Leeds or be descoped to finish at Toton
I can't see anybody stopping it at Toton. It's either going to Leeds or the Eastern leg isn't happening at all

Status
Not open for further replies.