• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern - qualified drivers need 3 years?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vicpaul

So in my plight to move the family back to Liverpool I thought I would apply with Northern for their on going qualified drivers vacancies.

However I've been stopped in my tracks regarding my time as a qualified driver. The calendar only comes as far as 2010 effectively showing they want at least 3 years experience.

Looks like my commute from Bletchley to Victoria will continue :cry:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Beveridges

Established Member
So in my plight to move the family back to Liverpool I thought I would apply with Northern for their on going qualified drivers vacancies.

However I've been stopped in my tracks regarding my time as a qualified driver. The calendar only comes as far as 2010 effectively showing they want at least 3 years experience.

Looks like my commute from Bletchley to Victoria will continue :cry:

You should just apply anyway I'm sure Northern will gladly take on a qualified driver they don't get too many of these applying!

Just done traction training with a fella that's just done 2 years on Southeastern I think. So deffo worth it!

TOCDriver

Just done traction training with a fella that's just done 2 years on Southeastern I think. So deffo worth it!

Northern will take any qualified on at the moment. They have quite a lot of leakage to rival TOC's. Providing you are willing to relocate, I reckon you're quids in. Just be prepared to downgrade by driving cr@p

Last edited:

BravoGolfMike

I'm not sure why everyone hates 142s. They have the best legroom of anything I've ever driven, including modern stuff. They can be a little draughty at times but they have character and every one is different. They are simple to drive and if anything goes wrong, easy to fix (unlike some more modern units!) I don't drive for Northern any more and I miss the variety of traction believe it or not. It was only 150's that I didn't like due to the poor legroom and rattly cabs.

A-driver

Established Member
I'm not sure why everyone hates 142s. They have the best legroom of anything I've ever driven, including modern stuff. They can be a little draughty at times but they have character and every one is different. They are simple to drive and if anything goes wrong, easy to fix (unlike some more modern units!) I don't drive for Northern any more and I miss the variety of traction believe it or not. It was only 150's that I didn't like due to the poor legroom and rattly cabs.

For some reason people make a big deal of things like this and so believe they are bad units before even getting on one.

I agree with you, I have never driven a 142 but would take a 313 or 317 out over a 365 or 377 any day-older units are far nicer to drive and as you say much easier to fix.

Plus anyone looking at moving toc for location reasons as the OP is shouldn't look too much into the work or traction. The OP makes it clear he wants to move up north so the work and stock is irrelevant as far as I'm concerned. Driving a train is driving a train weather you take a 142 round 20 stations per hour at 45mph or take a 125mph hst non stop York to London.

Vicpaul

I'll be giving HR a call as I would effectively be lying on my application form if I submit it with our clarification on the date issue

BravoGolfMike

Worth a try. Id be surprised if they require 3 years qualified as the Northern PQA period is only two years.

Silv1983

The only good thing about the 142 is the visibility. I find a little creativity with the seat in a 150 creates legroom - whereas you can't 'create' legroom in a 142 as the seating position is not very flexible (I feel like im sat in a deckchair).
The seat backrest is bolt upright causing one to hunch over the desk. That said most driver's turn the lumbar support winder the wrong way which makes the situation worse. Also perhaps I have longer arms and legs than most - but I can never get far enough away from the brake handle in a 142 causing more discomfort.

BravoGolfMike

I used to enjoy being able to lock my knees straight with the DSD pressed (no vig-bliss,) fine for even the longest journeys, I'm over 6ft as well. 144s have the best visibilty I think, and 150/1 although the 150 suffers from the inexplicable positioning of the NRN, destroying any chance of a comfortable drive.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
To the OP: Have you tried TPE? They have a new depot in Liverpool and only ask for 1 year qualified from qualified drivers...

Last edited:

Vicpaul

Yes I jumped on the recent lime street drive but got knocked back, have asked for feedback but it states they won't give it. Can only be my experience as they don't except my years on the underground

Beveridges

Established Member
Driving a train is driving a train weather you take a 142 round 20 stations per hour at 45mph or take a 125mph hst non stop York to London.

It does matter its the working environment for christs sake and 142s are absolute bobbins. Even my car is more comfy than one of these.

Only good thing is 142s to be scrapped before 2020.

Compare the cab of a 142 compared to (for example) a pendolino, where would you rather spend hours of your life?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.