• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Rail- Wigan and man

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Newbie23

Congrats pipsqueak! Ive just found out ive passed my medical truly is a Happy new year and a new career to match

Newbie23

Pipsqueak have u signed a contract yet?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Can anyone help please I'm filling in my priv card form and it says that it needs to be witnessed by a solicitor is this still the case even if I have no partner or children?

302PS

No if it's just for your own card, that's for if you need a partner card and your not married

Newbie23

That's great thanks hun! What coats can I order for a conductor role it's says unisex anorak or Harrington jacket should I order just one or both? Which is best?

Joof

Hello. I am due to start at Leeds as trainee driver and today received my contract. All forms such as travel card, the do's and dont's form, bank details and actual contract. That's about it though. No uniform forms or anything like that. Should they be in with the welcome pack or does it get sorted on the day. I start a week on Monday so don't want to turn up like a plonker on my first day!! Any help or advice would be great.

Newbie23

Hello. I am due to start at Leeds as trainee driver and today received my contract. All forms such as travel card, the do's and dont's form, bank details and actual contract. That's about it though. No uniform forms or anything like that. Should they be in with the welcome pack or does it get sorted on the day. I start a week on Monday so don't want to turn up like a plonker on my first day!! Any help or advice would be great.

Well mines a conductor role not sure if it will be different for you but my uniform order forms was in my welcome pack! I'd ring HR if I was you just to check they did say any questions just ask no harm in asking!

Mr Do!

Newbie23, I think we may be on the same course. Conductor training for Wigan at Bolton Training Centre 23/02/2015.

I applied 23/12/2014 then all happened very quickly.

Just resigned from my current job after 29 years with the same employer so I understand how nervous you are about the training. See you there.

302PS

That one in Feb then next one is April iv heard, I got my uniform order at initial interview and then again by email after job offer

Newbie23

Newbie23, I think we may be on the same course. Conductor training for Wigan at Bolton Training Centre 23/02/2015.

I applied 23/12/2014 then all happened very quickly.

Just resigned from my current job after 29 years with the same employer so I understand how nervous you are about the training. See you there.

Congrats Mr Do! yes that's the same training course as me. See you there. Let the excitement commence :) yes it is very scary when you've been in a long career to leave and face the uncertainty of a new path but I am sure we will be fine going to give it my best

pipsqueak

Very exciting what time are you there on Monday xD
I'm same start date, but for Manchester

Last edited:

kelv

Congratulations you two & Good Luck.
I've been following this thread with interest as i applied for both positions, the only notifications I've had from Northern so far have been after you had got the positions, saying that the sifting process is taking longer than expected and they will be in touch soon. I'm wondering if they're just making sure that you 2 actually turn up for training or if they are looking at taking more on. If I do get any further I'll probably be asking you both lots of questions about interviews & tests.

I've also got some applications in for customer service roles as well as I'm thinking that 'once you're in' it may be beneficial when applying for other roles if you have proven yourself to be a good employee etc.

Living 1/2 way between L'pool & Manc means travel distance is ok for both places (timewise) so a few more vacancies come up that I can apply for, I've just seen 1 thats INTERNAL for St.Helens Central, can anyone tell me if they are advertised 1st internally & then go external ? I was tempted to give the Station Manager who's number is on the add a ring to enquire and ask to be honest.

Newbie23

Kely stick with it! First time I applied the vacancy I was applying for got withdrawn i checked the online vacancies everyday for a whole year was just about to give up and by suprise there was a vacancy just before xmas!
I feel very lucky to have achieved this and I wish the best for you to you never know what's round the corner, you seem a determind character so I'm sure you'll get your chance! BTW I will be showing up on Monday

kelv

Kely stick with it! First time I applied the vacancy I was applying for got withdrawn i checked the online vacancies everyday for a whole year was just about to give up and by suprise there was a vacancy just before xmas!
I feel very lucky to have achieved this and I wish the best for you to you never know what's round the corner, you seem a determind character so I'm sure you'll get your chance! BTW I will be showing up on Monday

scorchio

Is it safe to say this one is dead in the water, over 12 months since getting through and must be nearing six since the last updated email, sorry to all those like me who get their hopes up when they see this thread back on page 1 !!

Louby

Not at all , till I get booted from the pool I'm staying positive , yes it's been 12 months on thur since I passed everything but that compared to the wait some have had that's nothing

adsteamfan

Is it safe to say this one is dead in the water, over 12 months since getting through and must be nearing six since the last updated email, sorry to all those like me who get their hopes up when they see this thread back on page 1 !!
The last email that the lad I know had from Northern was the one telling him that he'd passed and was now in the talent pool for Wigan dated 28th Feb last year so one week short of 12 months for him!!

scorchio

Not at all , till I get booted from the pool I'm staying positive , yes it's been 12 months on thur since I passed everything but that compared to the wait some have had that's nothing

Love the optimism, Louby. Heres hoping :D

302PS

I was on Louby's assessments and just started in January, there are few externals on it and there are 100 + drivers still to be trained this year

johnsonr380

I was on Louby's assessments and just started in January, there are few externals on it and there are 100 + drivers still to be trained this year

I'm still staying positive. Even being in the dark about travel time to depot changing, which puts me out for both Manchester depots I applied for. Gotta stay positive.

Be nice to be emailed once in a while though. But we're still in the pool if they didn't want/need us I'm sure it'd be easier for them to just boot us out.

kelv

Are you guys talking about Trainee Guard or Trainee Driver jobs ?

If it's Guard it Would seem strange to have you all in a Talent Pool & then re advertise (more than the once as well) and take completely different people on ?

Also, how long are your tests valid for before you have to sit them again ? & does being in the Pool prevent you from applying for other vacancies with Northern ? incl. same position at different location.

Louby

Are you guys talking about Trainee Guard or Trainee Driver jobs ?

If it's Guard it Would seem strange to have you all in a Talent Pool & then re advertise (more than the once as well) and take completely different people on ?

Also, how long are your tests valid for before you have to sit them again ? & does being in the Pool prevent you from applying for other vacancies with Northern ? incl. same position at different location.

Drivers , but the conductors have jumped on lol, our assessments are valid for 5 years and up till now they haven't re advertised , and no we can't apply for conductor without removing ourselves from the pool

kelv

Drivers , but the conductors have jumped on lol, our assessments are valid for 5 years and up till now they haven't re advertised , and no we can't apply for conductor without removing ourselves from the pool

Kinda leaves you hanging in there then really doesn't it, plus would I be right in thinking that some of the conductor training would be relevant to a driver ?

Obviously the thought behind it is that they don't want to train someone up & then the 1st time a driver position comes available they can't apply quick enough. Like I say though it leaves you hanging in there with it appears very little information coming your way, even if they were to say that they are intending to recruit x amount during the course of the year it gives you a bit of hope.
Unfortunately It's a consequence of the state of our country really as there are that many looking for jobs that companies in all sectors can do as they please with regards to recruitment.

As I said earlier in the thread, the 2 guys posted that they had got the conductor jobs at Manc & Wigan yet it was weeks later that I got an email saying that the Sift was taking a little longer & I'll hear something soon, they both started their training on Monday so my hope now is that they're looking at other start dates, Wigan had 2 dates but Picc. only had the 1.
In the mean time I've been looking at Customer Service positions on the 'get your feet in the door' basis as their internal vacancy list is way bigger than the external 1.

I wouldn't mind sitting the tests if it was possible in the hope of giving me an extra feather in my cap with regards to applications.

Seve

I'm still staying positive. Even being in the dark about travel time to depot changing, which puts me out for both Manchester depots I applied for. Gotta stay positive.

Be nice to be emailed once in a while though. But we're still in the pool if they didn't want/need us I'm sure it'd be easier for them to just boot us out.

I am staying positive and still keep checking my emails on a daily basis :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.