• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Smart Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

johntea

Established Member
I saw a poster for the Northern ‘smart card’ and couldn’t help but notice this gem in the FAQs on the website!

Can I get off somewhere, then catch a later train to complete my journey using my Smartcard?

No. Break of Journey is not available on Smart at present

What on earth are Northern thinking with that?! It’s a standard season ticket!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
I saw a poster for the Northern ‘smart card’ and couldn’t help but notice this gem in the FAQs on the website!

Can I get off somewhere, then catch a later train to complete my journey using my Smartcard?

Indeed, you would have to be mad to give up that significant right in exchange for nothing at all, not even a reduction in the season ticket cost!

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
This just sums Northern up.

How anything they do can be described as 'smart' is beyond me....

TUC

Established Member
Ate Northern even allowed to not permit break of journey?

Condition 36.2 of the NRCoT states 'A Season Ticket gives you the right to unlimited travel on train services between specific stations or within specific geographic zones during the period up to and including the Season Ticket’s expiry date. This includes the right to start, break or resume your journey, as described in Condition 16.3. It may only be used by the person to whom, or on whose behalf, it was issued.'

16.3 states 'Generally, you may start, or break and resume, a journey (in either direction in the case of a return Ticket) at any intermediate station, as long as the Ticket you hold is valid for the trains you want to use. However, this may not be the case with some through services that take an indirect route. You may also end your journey (in either direction in the case of a return Ticket) before the destination shown on the Ticket.'

I cannot see anything there which permits restrictions for season tickets on smart cards.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator

You could send an FOI request to the DfT asking if permission was granted for this, and if it is, for a copy of all relevant correspondence. And, if not, details of enforcement action taken.

Intermodal

Established Member
I wonder how long I can make my location on this f
Ate Northern even allowed to not permit break of journey?

Condition 36.2 of the NRCoT states 'A Season Ticket gives you the right to unlimited travel on train services between specific stations or within specific geographic zones during the period up to and including the Season Ticket’s expiry date. This includes the right to start, break or resume your journey, as described in Condition 16.3. It may only be used by the person to whom, or on whose behalf, it was issued.'

16.3 states 'Generally, you may start, or break and resume, a journey (in either direction in the case of a return Ticket) at any intermediate station, as long as the Ticket you hold is valid for the trains you want to use. However, this may not be the case with some through services that take an indirect route. You may also end your journey (in either direction in the case of a return Ticket) before the destination shown on the Ticket.'

I cannot see anything there which permits restrictions for season tickets on smart cards.
Exactly. My advice to anyone using such a ticket would be to completely ignore this 'restriction'.

janb

Good news. The Northern Break of Journey thing was an error, and has now been corrected.

Puffing Devil

Established Member
Of course, these cards can only be used on Northern Services. And require a top-up at a physical ticket office.

janb

Of course, these cards can only be used on Northern Services.

They can be used on any smartcard operator, so basically in the north TPE and Northern. Likewise, all smartcards from other TOCs can be loaded with a relevant season ticket and used on Northern services.

Puffing Devil

Established Member
They can be used on any smartcard operator, so basically in the north TPE and Northern. Likewise, all smartcards from other TOCs can be loaded with a relevant season ticket and used on Northern services.

Which prevents me using one for my season ticket as it includes a trip on Virgin and sometimes LNWR or TFL depending on my mood and route.

This is one of the problems with a broken down delivery system - there should be a national standard for this.

Bantamzen

Established Member
Of course, these cards can only be used on Northern Services. And require a top-up at a physical ticket office.

I'd imagine that they would eventually be useable at TVMs, as WY MCards are now.

Which prevents me using one for my season ticket as it includes a trip on Virgin and sometimes LNWR or TFL depending on my mood and route.

This is one of the problems with a broken down delivery system - there should be a national standard for this.

This we can thank the DfT for.

mattdickinson

Will any smartcard usable on any TOC from July include London Overground?
Travelcards on ITSO have been valid within zones 1-6 for some time. I believe the only smart singles and returns valid are to Cheshunt and Broxbourne. London Overground won't be issuing their own ITSO card.

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
I hold an annual Sheffield to Leeds "any permitted" season ticket so can use Northern, XC, LNER and TPE services and would quite like a smart card as it would save me the annoyance of having to replace my paper ticket every couple of months as it fades when put through the barriers.

But I'm a bit confused as to how guards and gate line staff can check its validity when there's nothing printed on it to say where and how long it's valid for. How exactly does that work?

causton

Established Member
But I'm a bit confused as to how guards and gate line staff can check its validity when there's nothing printed on it to say where and how long it's valid for. How exactly does that work?

There are four main scenarios that happen:
  1. They check on a smartphone app on their phone or ticket machine. Anyone can download the free ECEBS Smart Ticket Checker for Android if you want to do it yourself (and maybe show that to them!!!)
  2. They believe that your ticket is valid and wave you through.
  3. They don't believe your ticket is valid despite you having a valid one.
  4. Proper railway integration means all gatelines will be set up for the ITSO cards to be used.
Sorry number 4 was a joke :lol:

yorksrob

Veteran Member
My metro card is one of the ITSO cards, yet it also has the fact that it is a zone three metrocard printed on it. Presumably Northern could do the same with season tickets on their card, so that the guard doesn't have to faff around with the scanner ?

alistairlees

Established Member
I hold an annual Sheffield to Leeds "any permitted" season ticket so can use Northern, XC, LNER and TPE services and would quite like a smart card as it would save me the annoyance of having to replace my paper ticket every couple of months as it fades when put through the barriers.

Android phone using NFC to read the data. It's pretty quick and easy. The phone can record an electronic 'clip' that is stored in a database.

alistairlees

Established Member
My metro card is one of the ITSO cards, yet it also has the fact that it is a zone three metrocard printed on it. Presumably Northern could do the same with season tickets on their card, so that the guard doesn't have to faff around with the scanner ?
There's no need. And what if you changed your season ticket? Or added another ticket? Or used PAYG?

robbeech

Established Member
Number 3 is the one implemented in the Manchester area at the moment it seems. As lots of staff STILL don’t know what these are a small number blanket refuse and reject.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
There's no need. And what if you changed your season ticket? Or added another ticket? Or used PAYG?

Well, If I were to add another ticket to my metrocard (I personally prefer the orange edged card variety) I guess the guard would have to waive his reader at it, however most times he's able to just look at it and know that I'm on route.

bubieyehyeh

Travelcards on ITSO have been valid within zones 1-6 for some time. I believe the only smart singles and returns valid are to Cheshunt and Broxbourne. London Overground won't be issuing their own ITSO card.

Yes I've just had it confirmed by southern that a weekly season (not a travelcard) on "the key" cannot be used on London Overground (West London line) for part of the journey. That is a major restriction compared to a paper ticket, since the overground trains from clapham are much more frequent tham the southern ones. Southern did say they thought it would change in the spring, which I guess is July date mentioned above.

I really do think Southern should not be selling such a smart ticket on that route, which has such a significant restriction over the paper ticket of the same price.

I also raised the point with them that I felt there map for "the key" should make clearer the restriction, since I felt the current map was misleading.

Status
Not open for further replies.