• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Staff (of all grades wearing Xmas Jumpers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ANorthernGuard

Established Member
Just to prove that some of us (yes some) do have a sense of humour a lot of us will be wearing xmas jumpers/hats etc etc with do MD's blessing so if you get pestered by a few different Santas, Elfs or reindeers my apologies.

And even though I am a little Early I would like to wish everyone on Railuk forums A very Merry Christmas and a happy and Prosperous New Year!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Michael.Y

Established Member
Just to prove that some of us (yes some) do have a sense of humour a lot of us will be wearing xmas jumpers/hats etc etc with do MD's blessing so if you get pestered by a few different Santas, Elfs or reindeers my apologies.

And even though I am a little Early I would like to wish everyone on Railuk forums A very Merry Christmas and a happy and Prosperous New Year!

FGW did it too, on Friday last.

Nean

Surely uniform must be worn at all times ?

Most firms nowerdays normally set aside a day (usually that of the office party) to do a silly jumper day. I can see why, it makes the last few days of slog up to christmas a tiny bit brighter and also when in a customer facing role it makes the company look a tiny bit more "human" (apparently).

badger1badger

Sorry I don't agree - the public need to know who the guard is leave the silly jumpers for the pub .......

CC 72100

Established Member
Sorry I don't agree - the public need to know who the guard is leave the silly jumpers for the pub .......

It's only one jumper, not a reindeer onsie. I imagine they'll still have their work trousers, ticket machine and ID Pass.

TEW

Established Member
SWT were doing it in some places last Friday too. I know station staff in some areas were encouraged to wear a Christmas jumper.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
I'm sure that doing any of the following will also give the guard away as the guard, irrespective of Christmas jumper:
- being armed with an Avantix
- doing the doors every 5 minutes
- talking to other staff at every chance
- walking down the train inspecting tickets
- wearing a name badge with 'Conductor' on it
- wearing the requisite works trousers, boots and potentially jacket / overcoat anyway

For one day a year they've tried to lighten up the mood a bit, I for one think it's a great thing and shows the TOCs, so often viewed as soulless, profit-driven companies, also have a nicer side. Everyone needs to cheer up a bit.

ash39

Established Member
I'm all for this kind of thing, but if it bothers certain people, maybe the solution is to wear jumpers based on your grade. Drivers wear a christmas pudding, gateline staff have a reindeer, snowmen for the guards ?? :lol:

DarloRich

Veteran Member

Trying to decide if this is joke.....

I mean silly jumper or not the massive machine thing the guards cart about, the bat man style utility belt and the name badge saying guard might be a clue! That or making the doors work!

Mind it is a good job you didn’t come in any of our offices or depots a fortnight ago. All those Christmas jumpers being worn for charity would have warped your fragile little mind!

Oh and of course by wearing a silly jumper the guard will immediately have had all of his or her training wiped from their mind and simply sit rocking in an emergency.

Oh and silly jumper or not i am sure the gaurd can still look after the passengers.

Some people need to lighten up!

PS I may have just taken a big bite but never mind!

WCMLaddict

Someone wasn't invited to the Christmas party?

Haven't seen any driver wearing one, few guards and ticket office staff.

driver_m

Established Member
Our lot at vt have been doing this for a few years now. Including the TM who seem to manage to convince people that they're staff. Lighten up badgerboy its a bit of fun and well done to northern for doing it. It started off a bit hesitant on our side but loads do it now.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Our lot at vt have been doing this for a few years now. Including the TM who seem to manage to convince people that they're staff. Lighten up badgerboy its a bit of fun and well done to northern for doing it. It started off a bit hesitant on our side but loads do it now.

A fair few platform staff at Preston the other day were sporting Santa hats, certainly goes well with the uniform. ;)

Urban Gateline

Established Member
Someone wasn't invited to the Christmas party?

Haven't seen any driver wearing one, few guards and ticket office staff.

The DB Driver of the 2350 Scotrail EUS -> GLC/EDB Sleeper has been wearing one for the past 2 evenings! :D

Darren R

Established Member
I'm all for this kind of thing, but if it bothers certain people, maybe the solution is to wear jumpers based on your grade. Drivers wear a christmas pudding, gateline staff have a reindeer, snowmen for the guards ?? :lol:

And turkeys for senior management! <:D

Happy Christmas everyone!

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
I dread to think what Badgerboy would make if the VT ticket office staff at euston having a Christmas karaoke on Friday afternoon...

Established Member
"My 1907 liverpool has just had to slam on due to despatchers wearing red hats. This is unbearablely dangerous!!!"

Okay, I'm lying. Bah humbug. Cancel Christmas :)

ANorthernGuard

Established Member
A few of us did it but not as many as hoped. It's a laugh pure and simple. Have a good Xmas folks while I work my last train of the Xmas.

trainophile

Established Member
Thank you one and all, from a very grateful passenger. May the festive season bring you and your families everything you wish for. I look forward to seeing some of you on my travels in 2015, because I haven't a bad word to say about my experiences on board all sorts of trains and routes in 2014. You're all part of what keeps this country great. :D

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Guards on the 1410 Blaydon-Newcastle/1442 Heworth-Hexham were sporting jumpers. Guard on the 1442 was wishing everyone a Merry Christmas as we left, and certainly was in the festive spirit. Merry Christmas to all at Northern :D

Established Member
My company allowed this two weeks age, as the company have strict uniform policy (only drivers are issued jumpers in the first place) I refused to take part and stuck to the companies uniform policy.

GatwickDepress

Established Member
I've had quite a few tickets gripped by Christmas-themed clippers in the past two weeks. My sister was made up by it!

badger1badger

Trying to decide if this is joke.....

I mean silly jumper or not the massive machine thing the guards cart about, the bat man style utility belt and the name badge saying guard might be a clue! That or making the doors work!

Mind it is a good job you didn’t come in any of our offices or depots a fortnight ago. All those Christmas jumpers being worn for charity would have warped your fragile little mind!

Oh and of course by wearing a silly jumper the guard will immediately have had all of his or her training wiped from their mind and simply sit rocking in an emergency.

Oh and silly jumper or not i am sure the gaurd can still look after the passengers.

Some people need to lighten up!

PS I may have just taken a big bite but never mind!

I do NOT have a fragile little mind .... But you are quite entitled to your opinion !

I quite like Christmas jumpers and have raised quite a lot for charity wearing mine but not in a work situation

I just happen to think that work is work and play time is as such and the two should never meet
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Mr Grumpy rules!!
It's Christmas, the period of GOOD WILL to all men.
You seem to have forgotten that.

It is work not a play ground
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
It's only one jumper, not a reindeer onsie. I imagine they'll still have their work trousers, ticket machine and ID Pass.

Uniform is uniform adamW

Status
Not open for further replies.