• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Station Improvements & New Ticket Machines

Status
Not open for further replies.

Llandudno

Established Member
Hmmm...
Can you buy TfGM Wayfarers and TfGM System One cards on these ticket machines at stations within the ticketing availability area, or even more useful outside the ticketing area in the case of the Wayfarer ticket?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

darloscott

While picking up my dad yesterday there was two guys digging a very square-shaped hole in the entrance at Allens West. Could well be for a ticket machine going in there as currently doesn't have anything.

Puffing Devil

Established Member
Hmmm...
Can you buy TfGM Wayfarers and TfGM System One cards on these ticket machines at stations within the ticketing availability area, or even more useful outside the ticketing area in the case of the Wayfarer ticket?

No. Though they can be bought at PayPoint shops: https://www.tfgm.com/tickets-and-passes/how-to-buy-a-ticket

Many have reported a struggle to get a ticket issued if the shop isn't used to the transaction. I've noticed that my local shop now has a new terminal - whether or not this is easier to use has yet to be tested.

Killingworth

Established Member
I've heard all the shelters on the Hope Valley line are currently cordoned off, that's Edale, Hope, Bamford, Hathersage and Grindleford

Unhappy travellers are having to wait in winter with nowhere to sit or shelter, one of whom on Saturday was on crutches and was also confronted with a train over half an hour late. The return working was cancelled.

Shelter improvements were promised when Arriva took over the franchise but this doesn't seem a big advance in customer service in February. I know this programme is franchise wide. How long do these improvements take? For how long should passengers expect to be without shelter?

Andyh82

Established Member
Brighouse now has a ticket machine. Only one though and it’s on what I would guess would be the least used of the two platforms

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Brighouse now has a ticket machine. Only one though and it’s on what I would guess would be the least used of the two platforms
Which platform is it on? If I was to hazard a guess I'd say the Bradford/Manchester side would be the least used as services to Leeds from that route take longer. I'd have thought the ideal place for a machine would be by the ramp from the car park to the other platform (Leeds via Dewsbury; Huddersfield; and London services).

I note that Marsden station has made the news again, with Network Rail deciding to install a full-length Harrington Hump rather than the usual short one. Platform 3 will be in regular use again while work is carried out. Whilst I appreciate that Harrington humps don't just aid wheelchair users, there's a certain irony in installing one on a platform only accessed via a high and steep metal staircase! Full article here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-47265241

BBC said:
A "dangerous" platform at Marsden train station in West Yorkshire is to be raised following a campaign.

Passengers have long struggled with an 18in (45cm) step from the train to platform two, the Local Democracy Reporting Service said.

Network Rail has made money available for the work earlier than planned after campaigners took safety concerns to Transport Secretary Chris Grayling.

The platform is now expected to be raised by April.

Mr Grayling and Rail Minister Andrew Jones promised campaigners, including Colne Valley Labour MP Thelma Walker, they would act quickly in making the platform safe after a child reportedly landed face-down after failing to negotiate the height from train to platform.

A graded slope known as a "Harrington Hump" will be installed along the full length of the 99-metre (327 ft) platform two, instead of the temporary fix originally planned.
Amusingly a photo on that story describes the station as being "between a canal and the River Colne"... it isn't, as the Colne runs through the village and if it was on the other side of the station the railway would flood every time it drizzled!

Last edited:

td97

Established Member
Similar situation at Hall I' Th' Wood this morning - wood on the floor and some studs being put in - had a chat with two friendly Orangemen who confirmed the works (on both platforms) are for ticket machine installation.
Progress doesn't appear to be rapidIMG_20190217_190911.jpg
(Quoted post is from 2 July 18)

NorthernSpirit

Established Member

Brighouse is to be staffed later on this year which may explain why the card only machine is on platform 2, the said machine doesn't issue Promise to Pay tickets either yet Mirfield and Marsden do. When built the new ticket office is to be placed between the stairs and shelter on Platform 1.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Just passed through Honley and there's a significant amount of vegetation been cleared from the lineside, including the disused up platform... if I didn't know better I'd think they were bringing it back into use!

Presumably the platform extensions on the route will be coming soon. Now that Yorkshire Tiger no longer actively uses the depot next to Honley station there's an opportunity to create a large car park and bus turning circle, to create a railhead for Holmfirth.

Killingworth

Established Member
Just passed through Honley and there's a significant amount of vegetation been cleared from the lineside, including the disused up platform... if I didn't know better I'd think they were bringing it back into use!

Presumably the platform extensions on the route will be coming soon. Now that Yorkshire Tiger no longer actively uses the depot next to Honley station there's an opportunity to create a large car park and bus turning circle, to create a railhead for Holmfirth.

Platform extensions are due before the end of the year, see Network Rail's platform extension programme, which doesn't cover extra car parking provision; https://www.networkrail.co.uk/our-r...orth-of-england-platform-extension-programme/

james2trains

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
As Stocksmoor and Denby Dale aren't due to receive extensions, I assume the platforms are already long enough for the stock that is coming to the line?
It would appear so... I believe 60m is still the aim for the line (3-car 150s), but stations such as Berry Brow (and the bay at Huddersfield) are only long enough for a 3-car 144 (45m).

Andyh82

Established Member
Brighouse is to be staffed later on this year
Is it? Staffed in what way?

That'd be a good idea actually. Of course wouldn't Network Rail have to buy the yard from Arriva (who would then pass the day to day operation of it back to Arriva!)

As Stocksmoor and Denby Dale aren't due to receive extensions, I assume the platforms are already long enough for the stock that is coming to the line?
According to Quail, those two stations can accomodate 3 cars, the others only 2. Silkstone Common and Dodworth can accommodate 5.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member

One of the many things promised at the start of the franchise was that several stations were to be (re)staffed. Baildon and Ben Rhydding were supposed to be the first two, due some time last year I think. I never did hear if that ever happened, or, if it did, what form it took.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member

That'd be a good idea actually. Of course wouldn't Network Rail have to buy the yard from Arriva (who would then pass the day to day operation of it back to Arriva!)

According to Quail, those two stations can accomodate 3 cars, the others only 2. Silkstone Common and Dodworth can accommodate 5.
On Honley, I more had WYPTE in mind as the body which would manage such a move. Ownership of the yard is another matter, not sure if Tiger own it or lease it. They currently use it to store decrepit vehicles (which is quite saying something when you see what they actually have in use!).

I don't expect WYPTE are in a position to do anything (not they'd want to anyway, as it isn't in Leeds) with it, but if the site is sold for executive housing the opportunity will be gone.

Bantamzen

Established Member
One of the many things promised at the start of the franchise was that several stations were to be (re)staffed. Baildon and Ben Rhydding were supposed to be the first two, due some time last year I think. I never did hear if that ever happened, or, if it did, what form it took.

Baildon and Ben Rhydding staffed? As much as I'd like to see my local station staffed it was never on the cards. We were one of the first to get a TVM and new shelter though.

Andyh82

Established Member
I’m presume staffed means someone roaming with a conductor’s ticket machine in the morning peak?

And I also I presume this may have involved staff redeployed from on board duties if DCO had happened?

NorthernSpirit

Established Member

I’m presume staffed means someone roaming with a conductor’s ticket machine in the morning peak?

What I've been told is that a ticket office would be built on platform 1 (car park side) under the road bridge, however I suspect that the "staffing" shall simply be a member of staff walking about the station from 7 til 2 with a machine.

I know that on some occations there has been ticket checks by patrols during the evening peak and on a morning (usually on a Monday and Tuesday there's a couple of staff with a machine who'll happily sell you a ticket, cash or card).

Puffing Devil

Established Member
Asking naively, is it not possible to lock out front/rear doors to accommodate the platform length?

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Not directly on topic as it's a TPE station, but doesn't require a new thread really. For the first time I've seen, barriers are in use this teatime on both sides at Dewsbury. As I understood it, the ones on the Down side hadn't been signed off due to a lack of a fire escape from that platform, and it doesn't appear anything has been added. The barriers are manned with 2 members of staff, so that might be the workaround. Those members of staff didn't seem interested in telling a group of lads further down the platform that the station is a no smoking area though!

The new northern ticket machines are good although a bit of a pain in the arse as to try & stop people breaking into them the machines are card only.

themiller

From a recent trip south, it looks like most stations from Bootle (Cumbria) to Silverdale (inclusive) have ticket machines installed.
I noticed that the footbridge at Millom has been scaffolded at either side. I believe that this is being replaced/ renewed.

Attachments

• A41DDE99-7B26-4AC2-B3D1-1D122C6EE4A6.jpeg
    A41DDE99-7B26-4AC2-B3D1-1D122C6EE4A6.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 45

bearhugger

I was at Stockton on Tees station last night (25/3) and noticed the TVM screen was stuck on a screen awaiting a payment of £495. There didn't seem any way of getting off the screen and back to buying a ticket which was a bit concerning for other intended passengers as the CIS was indicating that it was a penalty fare station.

causton

Established Member
I was at Stockton on Tees station last night (25/3) and noticed the TVM screen was stuck on a screen awaiting a payment of £495. There didn't seem any way of getting off the screen and back to buying a ticket which was a bit concerning for other intended passengers as the CIS was indicating that it was a penalty fare station.

Pretty common, lots of people have told me about this and I did it myself while playing around with the machine at Ulleskelf! Luckily, it was Ulleskelf so nobody else needed to use the machine.

However recently I was at Apperley Bridge and the machine reset after a minute or so when it got to this stage, so they may be rolling out updates to them to prevent it from happening!

Bantamzen

Established Member
Pretty common, lots of people have told me about this and I did it myself while playing around with the machine at Ulleskelf! Luckily, it was Ulleskelf so nobody else needed to use the machine.

However recently I was at Apperley Bridge and the machine reset after a minute or so when it got to this stage, so they may be rolling out updates to them to prevent it from happening!

Just a thought, would hitting cancel on the card keypad kick it out of this screen as it looks like it is waiting for the card to be checked? I seem to remember a while back having a blonde moment and starting to enter an incorrect PIN, hitting cancel on the pad & the TVM cancelling the payment screen & returning to the splash screen after a few seconds.

causton

Established Member
Just a thought, would hitting cancel on the card keypad kick it out of this screen as it looks like it is waiting for the card to be checked? I seem to remember a while back having a blonde moment and starting to enter an incorrect PIN, hitting cancel on the pad & the TVM cancelling the payment screen & returning to the splash screen after a few seconds.
No, the TVM comes up with an error message saying it is above the card payment limit for the machine and therefore the PIN pad does not become live.

Bantamzen

Established Member
No, the TVM comes up with an error message saying it is above the card payment limit for the machine and therefore the PIN pad does not become live.

Ah, then that's a bug then & will need reporting to Northern. It sounds like the payment screen part of the code needs to be able to trap transactions that are above the card limit prevent it getting stuck between the payment being activated & the card reader being made live.

Status
Not open for further replies.