• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern: The Great Unit Cascade

Status
Not open for further replies.

superkev

Established Member
150105/107/109 will be arriving next year I believe.

EDIT: 156449 and 156496 arrived at Heaton this afternoon.
So the 156 that caught fire on its way down last week didn't make it.
Is everything expected from Scotrail (bar the fire 156 was it 485?) now at Heaton for the 156s and NL the rest?
K

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
So the 156 that caught fire on its way down last week didn't make it.
Is everything expected from Scotrail (bar the fire 156 was it 485?) now at Heaton for the 156s and NL the rest?
K

All of the 156s are at Heaton, 156485 arrived with 156447 and 156465 earlier in the week.

Starmill

Veteran Member
158782 is out in service today on the Calder Valley
Unless I'm missing something, this unit hasn't been mentioned previously in this thread. I initially thought that this was a typo.

I can glean (sort-of) from the other thread that it transferred from ScotRail to Northern in convoy with two other units in early December:

Small fire reported to be on 485, however it was put out pretty quickly by the automatic fire bottles on said unit. As a result, 447,485, 465 then returned to Mossend, while 449 ran straight to Kilmarnock.

Meanwhile and more successfully (and to time) 158786,868,782 have transferred down to Neville Hill today from Haymarket on this move.

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/K91723/2018/12/10/advanced

It took my a while to work out why your comment was noteworthy.

I know that some people will know just from the number 782 that it's a former ScotRail unit, what type of seats it has, what livery it's in, where its home depot is and what date it transferred there, but most people reading would have absolutely no idea of any of that. Most people, just from reading this thread, would have not much idea of where to look either to find out what was noteworthy about this unit working on the Calder Valley line.

The cascade structure is very difficult to follow even with carefully presented, accurate information, especially because units are leaving Northern at the same time that they are arriving.

Last edited:

northernchris

Established Member
Most people, just from reading this thread, would have not much idea of where to look either to find out what was noteworthy about this unit working on the Calder Valley line.

Apologies, I had assumed that the Northern Cascade Thread was more appropriate to post in rather than the Refurb thread where it was initially posted

Starmill

Veteran Member
Can anyone confirm please how many class 156s have been transferred away from Scotrail, and what the total number to be recieved is? I think it's 10 but I have just spent almost half an hour trying to find out. There is a bit of a lack of information about this in this thread. A lot of the information is actually in the Northern Unit Refurbishments thread, but this is so long it's almost impossible to search through!

anamyd

On Moderation
Is there a clear list of all the units that have not yet transferred to Northern but are due to this year...?

anamyd

On Moderation
It's only the 3 150/1s at WMT left to transfer has all the units that transferred in from scotrail and gwr have arrived.
Not many then, thanks! What's happening with the 150/9 "hybrid" formations...?

Mathew S

Established Member
Had the pleasure of 156 455 (I think that's the right number) on Wigan - Manchester this afternoon. Still wearing it's First ScotRail livery. Nice enough train, horribly uncomfortable seats. Low backs and totally the wrong shape, only way I could get remotely comfortable was to sort of slouch/lean my shoulders forward. Won't be looking forward to that arriving again until it's been refurbished.

geoffk

Established Member
Had the pleasure of 156 455 (I think that's the right number) on Wigan - Manchester this afternoon. Still wearing it's First ScotRail livery. Nice enough train, horribly uncomfortable seats. Low backs and totally the wrong shape, only way I could get remotely comfortable was to sort of slouch/lean my shoulders forward. Won't be looking forward to that arriving again until it's been refurbished.
465 or 485 probably. I thought all the 156s from Scotrail were based at Heaton.

northernchris

Established Member
465 or 485 probably. I thought all the 156s from Scotrail were based at Heaton.

They are all Heaton based, but they can be found across the North West. I had 156449 recently on a Huddersfield - Brighouse - Leeds service.

158786 and 158789 are also in service now

Status
Not open for further replies.