To expand on the testing.The trouble with "focus groups" is that they tend to self-select.
What they needed to do (and maybe the poster from Northern can tell us if they did) is to install them at one station (without any of the old type that people could just fall back on - as if those were there the people who will "have a go" again self-select as the more IT-competent) and see what happened. Have a member of staff there watching from afar to intervene, get feedback and flog a ticket for them if they really get stuck.
1. The software went through a number of design phases
2. It was tested in the factory for errors, categorised and fixed
3. We have had this software running on 10 machines since January
4. Myself and other Northern colleagues have spend considerable time observing all types of customers using the software. This has been done both on site and remotely (VNC direct dial in). Where we noted people struggling we have committed to making changes.
5. We have also shared it with stakeholders from RUG's and Transport Focus