• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern timetable plan for May 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

janb

Why is this?

Don't know, its just listed in the Sectional Appendix, and a member of staff mentioned it once. Width/Clearance?

158s do sometimes work Lancaster-Leeds services using platform 5 (or 3/4 if something goes awry)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Adam0984

About a year ago I took a 158 on the morning Goole to Leeds which is very unusual in itself on arrival at Leeds it formed the 0819 Leeds to Morecambe and back

darloscott

Interesting quotes from the Harrogate Chamber tonight suggests the new express Leeds-Harrogate services will call at Horsforth and Hornbeam Park. I guess the councillor got his way then?

pemma

Veteran Member
An update on the Manchester area changes

TfGM said:
A summary of the improvements that have already been agreed with
operators after extensive consultation with TfGM staff is set out below.

 Calder Valley Additional peak calls at Littleborough, Smithy Bridge,
Castleton and Mills Hill are under review by Northern;

 North Transpennine Meeting undertaken with Rail User Group, TPE
and Northern to examine service provision. TPE have agreed to further
examine additional calls at Stalybridge to peak services;

 Marple/Hyde Loop Northern have given assurance that appropriate
capacity will be provided on the Bredbury line. Sunday services on the
Hyde Loop will not be provided in May 2018 but we have agreed to
look at this further with Northern and Rail North to understand if a
business case for services is possible;

Hazel Grove/Buxton Northern have agreed to reinstate peak calls at
Davenport and Woodsmoor, therefore ensuring franchise compliance.
Northern are also investigating Heaton Chapel and Levenshulme calls
to comply with Train Service Requirements;

 Manchester Airport Northern looking at providing additional peak calls
at local stations along the route;

 Chat Moss Joint working with Salford City Council and Northern to
further investigate Eccles service intervals and lack of Patricroft peak
calls;

 Manchester – Wigan via Atherton Discussions undertaken with Salford
City Council and Northern to look into solutions to the long connection
times in the evening; and

 Bolton, including Blackburn corridor: Northern are looking at ways to
increase capacity with potential solutions, including re-routing peak
services via Wigan NW and running the Barrow/Windermere services
on the Bolton corridor with calls at key stations.

Although the consultation is now closed, Northern have agreed to continue
to work in partnership with TfGM officers. Any of the proposed, additional
station calls are subject to approval by Network Rail, dependent upon
pathways and platform availability. A response from Network Rail is
expected in October 2017.

I was chatting with a member of the local Rail User Group this morning regarding the E Port to Leeds service which I though was starting in May 2018 but was told it would be 2019. Can anyone confirm the date this service will be starting please?

yorkguy

Does anyone know if the planned Northern service from York to Scarborough will call at Malton? And are we talking 2019 for this to commence?

pemma

Veteran Member
I was chatting with a member of the local Rail User Group this morning regarding the E Port to Leeds service which I though was starting in May 2018 but was told it would be 2019. Can anyone confirm the date this service will be starting please?

Calder Vale extension to Chester was mentioned as being May 2018 in a recent TfGM presentation (the Ellesmere Port service is supposed to be a peak time only diversion of that service at times when the ATW extras operate between Chester and Manchester.)

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Does anyone know if the planned Northern service from York to Scarborough will call at Malton? And are we talking 2019 for this to commence?

It would be incredible to think it wouldn't.

I'd expect all Northern services on this route to call Malton and Seamer, and new stations opened such as the proposed Haxby.

Calder Vale extension to Chester was mentioned as being May 2018 in a recent TfGM presentation (the Ellesmere Port service is supposed to be a peak time only diversion of that service at times when the ATW extras operate between Chester and Manchester.)

Thank you.

Established Member

Harpers Tate

Established Member
Page 7/31 shows weekday towards Scarborough. I am not screenprinting all the others.

Attachments

• TSR.gif
    TSR.gif
    69.4 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:

Y961 XBU

With the Liverpool Lime Street - Wigan North Western stoppers moving to 15 and 45 from Liverpool does anyone know what affect that would have on the first and last trains of each day?

I've had a quick look through here but cannot find anything about the Morecambe/Heysham service. Can anyone shed any light as to if these will be independent shuttles or still part of the Leeds services?

Ta
Anthony

Lemmy99uk

I've had a quick look through here but cannot find anything about the Morecambe/Heysham service. Can anyone shed any light as to if these will be independent shuttles or still part of the Leeds services?

Ta
Anthony

Looks like it becomes a stand alone service.

Weekdays it is 12:47 from Lancaster (Heysham arr 13:15)
13:20 from Heysham (13:48 arr Lancaster)

pemma

Veteran Member
Track access application has been submitted to Network Rail: http://archive.nr.co.uk/browseDirec...Section 22A - Closes Tuesday 12 December 2017

As the important information is tabular and many pages long it's not really possible to copy and paste relevant information.

At a quick glance:
- There's no confirmation of which services will stop at which stations e.g. whether it's Macclesfield to Blackpool or Stoke to Piccadilly which calls at Prestbury.
- Peak time only Southport-Alderley Edge via Piccadilly services have been included.
- There's a mention of using 'new' 769s but the services which will see them have been given class 150 or 156 timings.
- Stockport to Stalybridge service to be moved from Friday to Saturday.
- I'm not sure if table ED10 contains mistakes. There's a mention of 2 x Stockport to Chester via Altrincham services on weekdays and an inclusion of Piccadilly-Greenbank services on Sundays.

pemma

Veteran Member
The Stockport-Chester services may not be a mistake. The franchise agreement indicated 30 services from Manchester to Altrincham, Hale, Knutsford, Northwich and Greenbank Mon-Sat but only 29 services from Manchester to Greenbank/Chester via Altrincham are included in the track access application.

Also of note there seems to be enough Hazel Grove paths included for 4tph and it seems Buxton will get 2tph, rather than some services only going to New Mills Newtown.

scrapy

Established Member
Prestbury will be served by the Manchester to Stoke services Monday to Saturday daytime with additional calls by the Blackpool to Macclesfield services in the peaks.

Evenings and Sundays there will be 1tph Blackpool to Stoke which calls at Prestbury.

PR1Berske

Established Member
Some very interesting updates there. Direct to Stoke is something I think passed me by!

Starmill

Veteran Member
Also of note there seems to be enough Hazel Grove paths included for 4tph and it seems Buxton will get 2tph, rather than some services only going to New Mills Newtown.

If this does indeed transpire then thank heavens for that. Far, far more sensible than the leaked proposal.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Bolton seems to be finally getting a decent deal out of things :)
Yes, although Bolton would appear to be the only station on the line that's actually benefiting from electrification, resignalling and speed increases in terms of timetable benefits. Of course, all stations should benefit from an increase in capacity and quality, but still.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
What is of concern to me is the combination of the Sheffield - Doncaster and Doncaster- Hull services. Does this not render P0 which has been delivered at not inisgnifcant expense redundant?

IGNORE THE ABOVE - turns out this is the removal of Sheffield - Scunthorpe through trains.

pemma

Veteran Member
If this does indeed transpire then thank heavens for that. Far, far more sensible than the leaked proposal.

Although, if they've taken a path intended for the 30th daily southbound Mid-Cheshire service then it's a much worse use that particular path.

Last edited by a moderator:

scrapy

Established Member
Bolton seems to be finally getting a decent deal out of things :)
On overall train frequency through the station it will only gain 1 Northbound and 1 Southbound service which is the same as it had before TPE diverted via Wigan. The gain of 1tph to Blackburn will be offset by the reduction of 1tph to Wigan.

There will changes to final destinations with Bolton gaining direct services to Alderley Edge, Macclesfield, Rochdale, Edinburgh and Glasgow, but losing direct services to Hazel Grove, Huddersfield and Southport (except 2 peak services).

YorkshireBear

Established Member
On overall train frequency through the station it will only gain 1 Northbound and 1 Southbound service which is the same as it had before TPE diverted via Wigan. The gain of 1tph to Blackburn will be offset by the reduction of 1tph to Wigan.

There will changes to final destinations with Bolton gaining direct services to Alderley Edge, Macclesfield, Rochdale, Edinburgh and Glasgow, but losing direct services to Hazel Grove, Huddersfield and Southport (except 2 peak services).
Longer trains though. And i think there is several peak time extras that are new. The off-peak timetable at Bolton did not really need enhancing in my opinion.

As a side note, do we know when TPE are goign to put theres in?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Sensible to move the Dentonian to Saturday. They really should try to get it back around lunchtime, as it was it was potentially profitable (in terms of diesel and traincrew time) because quite a few enthusiasts were attracted to use it to go for lunch at the buffet bar. I rode it a number of times when it was last Saturday lunchtime and loadings were usually reasonable.

You could almost argue it'd make the TVMs at Denton and Reddish South pay!

Status
Not open for further replies.