• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern to use loco hauled services?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
Can't see any mention of this on the forums, but does anyone have any info on this? Overlooked someone reading Rail today but haven't seen the whole story.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

driver9000

Established Member
Northern say they are examining all options for replacing the 180s with loco haulage being one of them but nothing is set in stone. They are looking at loco hauled for the Hartlepool? tall ships additional services which is also mentioned in the article.

As ever its a case of 'watch this space'

GNERman

Established Member
what routes would loco haulage be any good on for a regular basis?

settle and carlisle is obvious as we had the atn 37's top-n-tail services a few years ago.

ukrob

Established Member
what routes would loco haulage be any good on for a regular basis?

settle and carlisle is obvious as we had the atn 37's top-n-tail services a few years ago.

Something the 158s run to enable them to run what the 180s currently run.

Or - just what the 180s run.

tbtc

Veteran Member
Aren't we getting the five 158s back from Scotrail (should be in December, but put back further)? Plus some cascade from the LM 150s? And there's still five Pacers from the Oldham loop?

Are East Coast *definatley* taking the 180s back?

(I know there are potentially other things longer term)

GNERman

Established Member
Aren't we getting the five 158s back from Scotrail (should be in December, but put back further)? Plus some cascade from the LM 150s? And there's still five Pacers from the Oldham loop?

(I know there are potentially other things longer term)

they need them for the lincoln's don't they?

driver9000

Established Member
Something the 158s run to enable them to run what the 180s currently run.

Or - just what the 180s run.

IF it happens its going to be the work currently done by the 180s. However there is also talk of the 180s staying beyond June and another two joining the fleet as the 158s at Scotrail arent coming back now

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
East Coast have 30 Mk3s?

I think what was meant that 30 or so mark 3s at Long Marston were going to be used by East Coast but appears it will be 180s on the East Coast

Established Member
How many Mark 3s are there available for use nationally?

I thought East Coast Mainline Company weren't too keen on using Class 180s, like there Predessesor company and were looking more favourably at Class 90s + Stock, despite the fact they have a top speed of 110mph vs 180s 125mph?

Or was this a rumour/have things moved on since this time?

I can't keep up with all this speculation/supposed change in agenda

Last edited:

Established Member
thanks for that, excellent relevance, ews wanted to switch over to 67's at the time but arriva were happy with the 37's, as we were too...

Well, it could well be 37s as DRS are after 5 fours I think, swapping some 20s for them.

You just never know...

DjU

As was mention in one of the other threads the DfT have apparently allowed ScotRail to hold on to the Northern 158 for longer (anywhere up 2014 I believe).

The five pacers from the Oldham loop are in already use at Northern.

The only pacers Northen are missing are the 7x 142s down with FGW but these comming back are dependent on FGW getting their portion of the 150 cascade! Plus obviously there is Northerns own portion to come!

Chester025

Why is it the most sensible?

Longish distance between stations, so no constant stopping/starting. Lightly used, and I can't imagine the unit times being that tight so a LHCS should be able to keep to time. Willing to be corrected though,

ukrob

Established Member
Longish distance between stations, so no constant stopping/starting. Lightly used, and I can't imagine the unit times being that tight so a LHCS should be able to keep to time. Willing to be corrected though,

I see where you are coming from. I believe they should be used as mass people movers though in the peaks as the 180s are now.

WatcherZero

Established Member
Their probably ideal for the low stopping inter-regional routes in the north, high passeneger capacity and capable of the lines max speed 75-90 (which some of them operating at moment are incapable of) freeing those they replace up for the commuter lines.

Established Member
Just bought the latest issue of Rail and it also says about possible use at Blackpool, and mentions the old Club trains.

Lampshade

Established Member
Manchester - Blackpool North is stupidly overcrowded even with a 180, I can see it being a prime candidate for loco-hauled workings if it happens.

Established Member
I can see it happening with 37s if this DRS getting 5 fours is true, looks like ill be living off Manchester-Blackpool if it runs that route :D

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The only pacers Northen are missing are the 7x 142s down with FGW
Let's not forget the 158s that went from FGW to Northern in return for these ;)

theblackwatch

Established Member
Let's not forget the 158s that went from FGW to Northern in return for these ;)

Those 158s were not part of an exchange - they were additional stock funded by Yorkshire Forward. The 142s had, in the main, already been stored out of traffic for several months before FGW took them on.

Aictos

Established Member
If Northern do run a LHCS working between Manchester and Blackpool, the cynical person in me suspects 67s will be the favoured traction but saying that if Northern and DRS run it together with 37s hauling it, it's a very safe bet that I will be bashing as many trips as possible on it!

Status
Not open for further replies.