• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Trainee Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

8J

A couple of trainee driver positions going on Northern's website. One is at Man Vic, the other at Barrow I think. Best of luck to those who apply!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mr double 77

Haven't heard from Leeds yet so can't apply :(

I was in same situation, so have removed my application for Leeds, and applied for Victoria this would be preferred location for myself, so depends which is best for you, best of look to all applying

Louby

I was in same situation, so have removed my application for Leeds, and applied for Victoria this would be preferred location for myself, so depends which is best for you, best of look to all applying

Will that take my online assessment off thou??

mr double 77

Will that take my online assessment off thou??

Wouldn't like to say m8, as I had already passed it previously before applying for Leeds, would say you probably wouldn't have to do it again, but safest bet is check with Northern HR yourself tomorrow, then you know for sure.Keep us informed what gets said, and best of luck

Louby

Wouldn't like to say m8, as I had already passed it previously before applying for Leeds, would say you probably wouldn't have to do it again, but safest bet is check with Northern HR yourself tomorrow, then you know for sure.Keep us informed what gets said, and best of luck

Ill give them a ring and see and let you know , good luck

martin2345uk

Established Member
Well that's mine submitted! My hopes are not exactly high but you gotta be in it to win it eh??

Good luck to all :)

challyabnger

i have asked hr about this and they have said I can move my application from leeds to Manchester if I wish to. so I asked them to do it for me as I think the people who had interviews last week are getting put forward for the jobs in leeds. hopefully I will get somewhere now as I live in manchester

Sammy h

Anyone applied for the Barrow one? No closing date on that one, so I wonder if it will stay open longer than the Man Vic one (which closes tonight) - I would imagine so to get a higher number of applications in.

Having said that, there could be guards at Barrow applying as well.

Louby

You can withdraw from Leeds and apply for man vic etc and your online assessment lasts for 12 months, I had horrendous problems as my online application still showed for Leeds even thou I had withdrawn it, tech team really helpful, I have the number if needed, good luck xx

winefarm

Hi, does anyone know why the training for Victoria based job is in Leeds and how that would work?

Silv1983

Hi, does anyone know why the training for Victoria based job is in Leeds and how that would work?

I believe the training academy at Bolton is at capacity for early next year already - although they are recruiting a new trainer at the moment which could mean the training is returned to Bolton. If the training does go ahead at leeds - then either those who can will get free travel on Northern or TPE to get to Leeds - or, in some extreme cases, people will be put up in a hotel Sunday to Thursday.

Bluebri

Hi, I applied for this and it stated in the job ad somewhere that the training would be in Leeds.

Does anyone know how long it normally takes Northern to get in touch if you have been successful. I have applied for FGW and have had the Telephone interview already for that, but it is for Oxford. I am OK with that but the Mrs isn't :roll: so would much prefer to get a commutable job than one I would have to relocate for even if temporary?

Louby

Hi, I applied for this and it stated in the job ad somewhere that the training would be in Leeds.

Does anyone know how long it normally takes Northern to get in touch if you have been successful. I have applied for FGW and have had the Telephone interview already for that, but it is for Oxford. I am OK with that but the Mrs isn't :roll: so would much prefer to get a commutable job than one I would have to relocate for even if temporary?

You should get an email asking you to complete the online assessment in the next week or so

Bluebri

You should get an email asking you to complete the online assessment in the next week or so

Thanks Louby, fingers crossed. Do you have any idea what the online assessment is like. Is it similar to the FGW one?

Sammy h

The Barrow vacancy has now closed. Fingers crossed I hear from them soon...

Louby

Thanks Louby, fingers crossed. Do you have any idea what the online assessment is like. Is it similar to the FGW one?

Yes I passed it last month, don't know about fgw one, this is 4 questions which are a mix of letters and numbers, one question has either a number or letter the wrong way round , 5 mins to do 150 questions, don't even try to complete accuracy is the key, I believe 50 is a pass rate, good luck

Bluebri

Yes I passed it last month, don't know about fgw one, this is 4 questions which are a mix of letters and numbers, one question has either a number or letter the wrong way round , 5 mins to do 150 questions, don't even try to complete accuracy is the key, I believe 50 is a pass rate, good luck

Thanks again Louby. Fingers crossed for this, need a career change badly ;)

Sunday_mornin

Online test is relatively simple and the pass mark of around 50 isn't difficult to attain. Just aim for no errors though.
I see your from Wallasey, Wallasey to Victoria doable in under 60 mins?

Sunday_mornin

Online test is relatively simple and the pass mark of around 50 isn't difficult to attain. Just aim for no errors though.

jamess115

Northern Trainee Driver position is now closed. I believe the window of opportunity lasted a grand total of 3 days.

I know the trainee positions are extremely competitive, but this is beyond belief.

Sunday_mornin

Yeah I'd imagine you will get an invite to complete the online Visual test next week sometime. With the scheduled course start date just less than 2 months away, Northern will have to be getting their collective fingers out on this one.

Th online test is nothing to fear and the pass mark does seem to be around 50, that's quite easily attainable btw. Just aim for zero errors and it should be fine.

I see your from Wallasey, is the journey to Victoria doable in under 60 mins? It's worth checking.

Ian

*I blame my PC for my multiple posts above :-/
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Northern Trainee Driver position is now closed. I believe the window of opportunity lasted a grand total of 3 days.

I know the trainee positions are extremely competitive, but this is beyond belief.

The Victoria position was on for a full day, you gotta be quick!

Last edited:

sw1ller

Established Member
I go on holiday for a week and miss it!! GODDAMMIT!!! My own fault for wanting a bit of sun in my life!

Andrew32

I take it the course starts at the end of January 2014 then?

Is it the same for the conductor course?

Bluebri

Checked it already, I know I can do it in that time anyway, but even Google says 50 minutes door to door, 1hr 4 mins in current traffic which is friday afternoon rush hour. So hopefully should not be a problem:D Not that it would bother me, just hope it isn't an issue for Northern. I'd commute twice the distance for this job to be honest, but I guess safety is the key word all the way, so I will bare that in mind at the interviews if I get there.

Status
Not open for further replies.