• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Trainee Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

BSparks

Received the no thanks e-mail for Leeds drivers today. Wish they gave feedback! Oh well keep trying :|

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

martin2345uk

Established Member
Received the no thanks e-mail for Leeds drivers today. Wish they gave feedback! Oh well keep trying :|

That was quick... sorry to hear that!

I assume the initial sift is by automated software checking for key words or something?

Rumour has it and this is from a VERY reliable source that they will be taking on 100 drivers and at least 80 guards in 2014 (will be more if they allow mass recruitment of drivers from the conductor grade)

This is to cover current shortfalls. Expected retirements, increase in training needs and movements to other TOCs!

Get your job alerts switched on and CV polished because 2014 is the year to get on the railway with Northern!

Louby

Rumour has it and this is from a VERY reliable source that they will be taking on 100 drivers and at least 80 guards in 2014 (will be more if they allow mass recruitment of drivers from the conductor grade)

This is to cover current shortfalls. Expected retirements, increase in training needs and movements to other TOCs!

Get your job alerts switched on and CV polished because 2014 is the year to get on the railway with Northern!

Yep I heard the same, Leeds being one of the main areas

That's correct 80+ Guards roles. Big recruitment at all depots really as all are short. But expect Leeds/Liverpool/Manchester to be the main contenders.

ash39

Established Member
Good to hear personally as I'm in the latter stages of driver assessments for Leeds. If I pass but the roles are filled it shouldn't be too long a wait in the talent pool.

Andrew32

Ah I see, I though guards were different to conductors, thanks for clearing that up mate. I know Skipton are well short due to retirement.

winefarm

Good to hear personally as I'm in the latter stages of driver assessments for Leeds. If I pass but the roles are filled it shouldn't be too long a wait in the talent pool.

Hi, was that the one that Northern advertised a month or two ago? So does that mean you can progress through the application stage without there being a place on the driver training or a job?

Andrew32

So does that mean you can progress through the application stage without there being a place on the driver training or a job?

The current recruitment drive is to fill planned vacanicies for Drivers and Conductors between January 2014 and June 2014 and to build up talent pools.

Northern advertise them on thier site if there aren't enougth people in the talent pool for the depot the jobs are available at.

Here's how Northern HR explained thier application process to me a few months ago.

For instance: Three job vacancies come up at Leeds for drivers, but there is only one person in the talent pool, Northern will advertise the vacancies, put people through the application process and then upon getting the assesment results, will offer the jobs to the individual in the talent pool and the top two scorers in the application process.

The remaining successful applicants will be placed on hold or in the talent pool for upto six months in waiting for the next available course/Vacancy.

You may not be in the pool for long if a successful applicant fails thier medical or the references don't work out and the job is then offered to you as a result, you could also be offered a job at a depot close to where you have applied for.

The reason for this is so that they dont have to go through the hassle of advertising jobs and going through the application process everytime a vacancy arises, they can call upon previously successful applicants already in the Talent pool.

I applied for one of three vacancies at Skipton for a conductor role in April this year, passed my interview and assesments in June and was placed on hold because even though I had reached the required standard, there was only one place available on the July course for Skipton applicants, which someone else took, I was placed on hold for three moths in preperation for going on the September course, but this was cancelled.

I am now the only sucessful applicant from Aprils recruitment drive in the talent pool and HR told me on the 8th October that more than just me is needed for filling the current planned vacancies at Skipton for Conductors in 2014 and that is why they were advertised on 7th October.

I will remain in the talent pool until 28th February 2014, which will put me in the running for either the Janauary 2014 course or the April 2014 course.

Going by the post that 156441 has put up, I feel im in with a good chance and also anyone else who passes these current set of assesments for both the driver and conductor assesments.

I hope this helps and if i am incorrect on anything, someone already in the industry please free to correct me.

8J

So the pass mark for driver vis comparison is 50, is it the same for the conductor role?

8J

Ah so it must be lower. I scored 59, and I was just seeing if my pass was near the borderline mark.

Cheers

Bluebri

Ah so it must be lower. I scored 59, and I was just seeing if my pass was near the borderline mark.

Cheers

Just wondering how you came by the score? i.e. which test / tests are you talking about. Just so that I can brush up if possible. And do you have any tips or pointers? Thanks

8J

It is a visual comparison test. Basically there are alpha numerical sequences and you have to spot the incorrect one on the page.

Eg

A2GS - A2GS
72JL - 72JL
N757 - N757
BR32 - BR23

The last of the 4 sequences is incorrect and you would select that one and move on to the next sequence. You have 5 mins to answer as many as possible

Hope this helps

Jtd

Bluebri

It is a visual comparison test. Basically there are alpha numerical sequences and you have to spot the incorrect one on the page.

Eg

A2GS - A2GS
72JL - 72JL
N757 - N757
BR32 - BR23

The last of the 4 sequences is incorrect and you would select that one and move on to the next sequence. You have 5 mins to answer as many as possible

Hope this helps

Jtd

Thanks very much for this. With so many different and complex ways the TOC's and FOC's are testing for new drivers, it's always good to have a heads up. I normally perform pretty well on this type of test, but always find a few go's in advance saves the initial 'trying to get your head around it' delays

wayme

Has anyone heard anything back from this latest round of trainee driver adverts either a yes or a no? I haven't heard a thing myself.

Sunday_mornin

Amazing considering it's a 27th of Jan start date. Anyone needing to give a decent notice period to their current employer is going to struggle.

Louby

Amazing considering it's a 27th of Jan start date. Anyone needing to give a decent notice period to their current employer is going to struggle.

Mines a month notice!!
Has anyone got the assessments back yet? I did mine for Leeds so didn't need to do it for man vic

defboy85

Hi,
I'm struggling to find it. Any help would be great. Cheers
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
any help on finding it on their website. I'm struggling to find the Man Vic one

Louby

Hi,
I'm struggling to find it. Any help would be great. Cheers

It finished on the 27 th nov

Sunday_mornin

Mines a month notice!!
Has anyone got the assessments back yet? I did mine for Leeds so didn't need to do it for man vic

Assuming you mean the online test? As far as I'm aware this hasn't been sent out as yet. Although I'm not 100% about that as I've already passed it.

Louby

Assuming you mean the online test? As far as I'm aware this hasn't been sent out as yet. Although I'm not 100% about that as I've already passed it.

Yeah the online one, they were pretty quick with the Leeds one

Status
Not open for further replies.