• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Unit Refurbishments

northernchris

Established Member
333001 has just passed through Leeds sandwiched between a pair of 37s, possibly en route for a refurb

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

wyorks

Do we have any idea how heavy the 333 refurbished will be. Will be be a deep clean and new seat covers or are they getting a complete refit like the rest of the fleet?

pemma

Veteran Member
The ‘metro’ layout has been shelved and will remain in the same layout.
And it will roll out in new livery.

Given what franchise bidders would or wouldn't do to existing rolling stock was part of the scoring process used in awarding the franchises, how are Arriva allowed to change their mind about what they'll do to the 333s? (Unless they proposed to do more than they proposed rather than less.)

A couple of pictures I saw today on Twitter. The first is passing through Leeds, the second in the shed at Holbeck.

IMG_20180908_161528.jpg IMG_20180908_161524.jpg

Bantamzen

Established Member
The ‘metro’ layout has been shelved and will remain in the same layout.
And it will roll out in new livery.

Yay to that if it is indeed the case. I for one was not looking forward to the metro style in the driving cars. Its hard enough to get a seat on them on many peaks without ripping more out.

Liverpool 507

158845 returned to Neville Hill this afternoon from repaint and refurbishment at Crewe. Another class 158 is on its way down to Crewe for the same treatment.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Another word on the Northern refurbished 150s: I'm currently on board a 150/1 on the 1317 Nottingham to Leeds. The interior panels do a surprisingly good job of making the unit seem newer than it actually is, and on a fairly quick service like this the unit seems to be performing well mechanically too. A fair bit of thrash from the engines but that's to be expected, and it isn't annoyingly loud. Ride is also surprisingly smooth at higher speeds... BUT:

The flat cloth seat coverings are already filthy, and in places already looking worn and threadbare like the 308s did in their final weeks. Even if they weren't intended to be temporary like the seat covers on the first few 155/158s I suspect they'll have to end up being so. 3+2 airline seats are as cramped as always, though not terrible right now as loading is light; I've a fair bit of luggage; and I'm not a gigantic mutant!

Essentially the seats (and their arrangement) turn what would be a very good refurbishment into a fair-to-middling one at best.

superkev

Established Member
158845 returned to Neville Hill this afternoon from repaint and refurbishment at Crewe. Another class 158 is on its way down to Crewe for the same treatment.
Wasnt 158 845 to be the first to have the full treatment including the ironing board seats and wasn't etrms mentioned somewhere.
K