• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Unit Refurbishments

darloscott

Not meaning to be rude or anything but a better source for what?
Not everyone who posts on here is going to be able to say where they work... people may have lots of inside info but can't say (for obvious reasons) so you're probably best not dismissing people just on the grounds that they can't confirm to you where they have the info from. Note I don't work for Northern but have worked fairly intensively on working out unit diagrams so know a fair bit about the operations.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

I'm currently on 158905, which has been repainted inside & out, given new carpet and the new seats, but still has the old tables, no Wi-Fi, no seat reservation indicators and no USB sockets.
Any know if these are going back in for further work, or is it just that the non-Connect 158s aren't getting everything?

AMD

I'm currently on 158905, which has been repainted inside & out, given new carpet and the new seats, but still has the old tables, no Wi-Fi, no seat reservation indicators and no USB sockets.
Any know if these are going back in for further work, or is it just that the non-Connect 158s aren't getting everything?
It will be going back in to works at some point to get the digital bits and pieces. And no, the tables are not changing.

It will be going back in to works at some point to get the digital bits and pieces. And no, the tables are not changing.
Seems a bit of a waste of time, but there you go - I'm not a planner for Northern (there's not enough whisky in the world to get me to take that job!).

I was on the 05:45 Man Vic to Leeds (2E01), it stops at Low Moor, once a day, in one direction.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Seems a bit of a waste of time, but there you go - I'm not a planner for Northern (there's not enough whisky in the world to get me to take that job!). I was on the 05:45 Man Vic to Leeds (2E01), it stops at Low Moor, once a day, in one direction.

Just as a matter of interest, was the newly sited Low Moor held up for a while on account of curved platforms? How do Class 158 units fare with gaps between such units and the platforms?

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Just as a matter of interest, was the newly sited Low Moor held up for a while on account of curved platforms? How do Class 158 units fare with gaps between such units and the platforms?
As the doors are near the ends of the carriages, they aren't too bad. 150s are far worse for that.

Though Low Moor's curve isn't as severe as some of the "legacy" ones elsewhere on the network.

AMD

Seems a bit of a waste of time, but there you go - I'm not a planner for Northern
It's a mix of time pressures (the PRM deadline at the end of this year) and the finalisation of the various elements of the refurbishment programme; versus the number of vehicles nationally to be PRM'd and the workshop capacity.
One point is that the 150 refurb programme is paused at the moment to get the PRM work done as a priority - an example is 150115 which is still in the northern purple and largely untouched internally however it has the new toilet, PIS system, door sounders and stuff.
Another point is seats - the 158 programme started before the seat design was finalised, hence some 158s are recovered and new foam in existing shell; and then there has been a change from flat cloth to moquette mid programme!

Bornin1980s

Genuine question; I've seen two 158s at Middlesbrough station. The first one was on a training run. Are 158s now used on some Middlesbrough services?

simon7929

They are booked on Esk Valley services via the Durham Coast during the day. They pop up on Saltbutn/Darlington/Bishop Auckland services now and then also.

jonesy3001

Established Member
Last edited:

superkev

Established Member
I too am puzzled by this. You would think the man at the top would be more accurate.
I have 12 150/1s and 12 150/2 still requiring PRM mods which I believe are funded by the leasing company and usually done at Doncaster wabtech.
I also have 17 150/1 and 28 150/2 still waiting one of the various phases of redecoration funded by Northern often done at arriva traincare Crewe.
Am I totally wrong?
K

mde

I too am puzzled by this. You would think the man at the top would be more accurate.
ah, but did he actually write it? These types of comms messages are quite often written by a PR-type person on behalf of the person whose name is at the bottom…

northernchris

Established Member
I have 12 150/1s and 12 150/2 still requiring PRM mods which I believe are funded by the leasing company and usually done at Doncaster wabtech.
I also have 17 150/1 and 28 150/2 still waiting one of the various phases of redecoration funded by Northern often done at arriva traincare Crewe.
Am I totally wrong?
K

In terms of 150/1s still out in service, I make 8 still to receive PRM mods with a further 4 currently away

With the 150/2 fleet, I have 10 still in service with 2 away presently