• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Unit Refurbishments

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Harvey B

333009 towed back to Neville Hill today. It’s replacement already at Holbeck.
I find it strange that there was also a movement to Skipton Broughton Road today too? Earlier in the week I thought that it was 333009 coming out until I looked today

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
The scotrail X without titles but doing Northern services. The blue is the same or near to the shade that Northen uses.
It's one of several. All of them were in Scotrail colours initially as all of Northern's 170s came from there. That's not what the word "hybrid" means in any sense.

jonesy3001

Established Member
NB: 150148 is unrefurbished, and carries unbranded Arriva Rail North livery. Same with 150128.

The units which get repainted at Doncaster are ex FGW and FNW ones which have full corrosion repairs + PRM which necessitate a repaint.
The ex Central sets were done a few years ago so only get the PRM mods - internal only so no repaint.
The only exception will be 150135 which was corrosion repaired a few years ago so is only having the PRM mods at Doncaster with no repaint.

Travelled on 2 refurbished Northern 158's today and am disappointed that they are inconsistent.

The first was 1587?? (possibly 82 or 92 but I was running late so did not catch the full number). It was working the 08:54 from Morpeth if that helps anyone identify it. This has a more basic refurb than 158849.

158849 has USB charging, new tables and electronic seat reservation indicators whereas 1587?? does not have these features. Why has this unit had a more basic refurb than 158849? In my opinion they should all get some form of USB power so am disappointed that this is not happening.