• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Unit Refurbishments

_toommm_

Established Member
Travelled on 2 refurbished Northern 158's today and am disappointed that they are inconsistent.

The first was 1587?? (possibly 82 or 92 but I was running late so did not catch the full number). It was working the 08:54 from Morpeth if that helps anyone identify it. This has a more basic refurb than 158849.

158849 has USB charging, new tables and electronic seat reservation indicators whereas 1587?? does not have these features. Why has this unit had a more basic refurb than 158849? In my opinion they should all get some form of USB power so am disappointed that this is not happening.

The upgrades are being done in stages - as I'm sure you can imagine, the PRM mods are the most important so they're ploughing through those as soon as possible. Toilets and PIS are essential.

After those, they'll be doing the 'non-essential' upgrades like WiFi and USB/3-pin sockets. Eventually all Northern 158s will look the same, with the high-back seats, and I believe some will have reservation screens too.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Neptune

Established Member
Once the Connect service starts in the north east the services will be operated by captive Heaton based units (1588xx Perkins engined units). The remainder of the 158’s will work further south with no service reservations so do not need reservation screens fitting.

Once all units are PRM modified then the nice to haves will be fitted. Let’s get the legal stuff done first.

The phased refurbishment has been answered constantly on this thread so no need to keep going over it.

superkev

Established Member
Doesn't seem to be much happening this weekend with today's moves Neville Hill too and from Crewe works cancelled.
I have 47 units left to PRM by Dec 31.
Had a ride on ex West Midlands 150 109 yesterday. The interior to me seemed in much better condition then Northerns.
K

Harvey B

If there are approximately 10-12 out of service at any one time for PRM, then only 35 need doing by the deadline. Still a tall order
Then you have the class 323s to consider which are being done one at a time until they're complete so aside from the 323s I can see all other units having PRM mods by February or early March 2020

OTRail

Got a close up of 170453 yesterday, the former first class section retains its 2+1 seating

Was just about to say the same thing - it’s good they’ve kept the original seats.

Working Sheffield to Bridlington diagrams today if anyone wants to catch it.

YorksDMU

That’s a pleasant surprise. The earlier refurbished 170’s have had the ex first seats replaced with standard class seats. I’ll be looking out for 170453 when next travelling. Such lovely units.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
That’s a pleasant surprise. The earlier refurbished 170’s have had the ex first seats replaced with standard class seats. I’ll be looking out for 170453 when next travelling. Such lovely units.
I thought 453 was the first unit that had 1st to go in for refurbishment. Was it not?

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
It was. All other refurbed Northern 170’s have been the standard class only units.
Cheers. Keeping the 2+1 will mean some units have a slightly lower seating capacity, but I guess if there's no spare seats of the same design there's not much can be done. I'm pleasantly surprised that Arriva didn't opt to replace the seats behind each cab with ironing boards (though I don't find the ironing boards as uncomfortable as some clearly do).

Presumably the table lamps have gone though?

YorksDMU

I thought 453 was the first unit that had 1st to go in for refurbishment. Was it not?

My confusion. I will look out for the other ones as they come back from refurbishment. But even those with first class seating replaced with standard class, are such a big step up from the Pacers and Sprinters.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
My confusion. I will look out for the other ones as they come back from refurbishment. But even those with first class seating replaced with standard class, are such a big step up from the Pacers and Sprinters.
No first class seats have been replaced, that's what the last few posts have been about.

YorksDMU

I’m thinking of those which were only standard to begin with. I.e. 476, 477. Many apologies. But it’s good to know that first class seats are kept in 453. Thanks for your patience with me on this Monday afternoon. ;)

Neptune

Established Member
The only units Northern received with FC seats were 170453-457. 454-457 yet to be refurbished.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I’m thinking of those which were only standard to begin with. I.e. 476, 477. Many apologies. But it’s good to know that first class seats are kept in 453. Thanks for your patience with me on this Monday afternoon. ;)
Happens to the best of us. Sorry if I was a bit harsh with my response, it's Monday for me too. :)

YorksDMU

That’s ok, I understand. Once we get to tomorrow it should be a bit better. That’s what I’m hoping anyway. ;)

AMD

Nothing mechanical is happening, it's strip, repaint, new toilet, a few PRM bits and new seat covers. And yes, they go two by two to Wolverton (no, not the Ark!) from later this month.

jonesy3001

Established Member
Nothing mechanical is happening, it's strip, repaint, new toilet, a few PRM bits and new seat covers. And yes, they go two by two to Wolverton (no, not the Ark!) from later this month.
Nice,is that when the 331s enter service and the 319s cover the 323 routes in the NW?

AMD

First 3x 331 diagrams due to start next week on Liverpool - Blackpool, this starts to release the 319s, with 372, 373 and 446 'at risk' of handback. Next 331 route expected is Blackpool to Hazel Grove later this year, again this will release more 319s - so possibly one or two may replace 323 for refurb - however it is expected that 319s will be handed back to the ROSCO

AMD

It's unclear exactly when things will happen as the plan is pretty fluid at present, but basically the 319s will be gone by May 2021. 331s will pick up Liverpool - Blackpool, Blackpool - Hazel Grove and 323s will pick up the remaining Liverpool - Crewe and virtually all the Liverpool - Wigan work.

driver_m

Established Member
What’s happening with the 319s that have been going to Crewe LNWR? Seems odd if they’re going for an internal tart up if they’re desperate for cover on AC routes. (Seen several single DMUs on routes on the Chat Moss)

superkev

Established Member
What’s happening with the 319s that have been going to Crewe LNWR? Seems odd if they’re going for an internal tart up if they’re desperate for cover on AC routes. (Seen several single DMUs on routes on the Chat Moss)
Saw a 319 along with failed 331 109 next to Doncaster works last fri 30th Aug.
K

DC2001

First 3x 331 diagrams due to start next week on Liverpool - Blackpool, this starts to release the 319s, with 372, 373 and 446 'at risk' of handback. Next 331 route expected is Blackpool to Hazel Grove later this year, again this will release more 319s - so possibly one or two may replace 323 for refurb - however it is expected that 319s will be handed back to the ROSCO
Does anyone know if it will be the 3-carriage or 4-carriage 331's on Blackpool to Hazel Grove; currently the 4-carriage 319's get rather full at peak times.

Ribbleman

Does anyone know if it will be the 3-carriage or 4-carriage 331's on Blackpool to Hazel Grove; currently the 4-carriage 319's get rather full at peak times.
I believe that all 12 x 4-car 331/1s will be working east of the Pennines until NR complete the late running platform lengthening programme that will enable Northern to run 6-car formations of 2 x 3-car 331/0 out of Leeds.