• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Unit Refurbishments

py_megapixel

Established Member
Yeah the 333s are getting a new PIS system and will get the charging eventually
It will be interesting to see how they fit the PIS. This will, as far as I'm aware, be the first time in quite a while that a complete PIS replacement has taken place (as opposed to new fitment)

I assume it'll be TrainFX. Which probably means bad grammar, disconnected announcements, and (unless TrainFX is able to drive the original displays) flickering dot matrix screens.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

skyhigh

Established Member
It will be interesting to see how they fit the PIS. This will, as far as I'm aware, be the first time in quite a while that a complete PIS replacement has taken place (as opposed to new fitment)

I assume it'll be TrainFX. Which probably means bad grammar, disconnected announcements, and (unless TrainFX is able to drive the original displays) flickering dot matrix screens.
From what I've heard it'll be more of a TPE-185 style system with new screens but the originals remaining. Be interesting to see how it works out though.

As far as I'm aware 323s will get the USB charging treatment too in the next refurb stage for them.

Harvey B

I don't know why but I hope that the current dot matrix screens stay

3973EXL

Established Member
20/06 Runners

0259 Newton Heath - Wolverton 150147
0808 Wolverton - Neville Hill 150223
1052 Crewe - Newton - Heath 150137/145
1404 Newton Heath - Crewe
5N42 1539 Heaton - Crewe 158

Last edited:

mjn

Apparently 223 is coming back from Wolverton. Going for a run soon, so will catch that and the Crewe to NH moves whilst out.

Adam0984

3973EXL

Established Member
24/06 STP 0904 Crewe - Heaton

5E12 departed RT
5E13 dep 0955

Last edited:

superkev

Established Member
I think the connect spec has been shelved at the moment so will just be the standard
Thanks but what is Northerns standard for interior refurb. Seems to be so many variations.
158 859 may not be returning today from Crewe to connect spec with seat res and more screens etc but will it have wifi and charging ports I wonder.
K

superkev

Established Member
Possibly 158845 going for C4 maintenance and some work by one of the contractors
158 845 is a Perkins powered Heaton unit so I wonder what it was doing at NH who dont normally have 158s.
Re Newton heath hows what must be the worlds longest shed construction project going. Seems like it's been going years.
K

Neptune

Established Member
Thanks but what is Northerns standard for interior refurb. Seems to be so many variations.
158 859 may not be returning today from Crewe to connect spec with seat res and more screens etc but will it have wifi and charging ports I wonder.
K
The newly refurbished 158’s I’ve worked recently (789, 792, 794, 869 & 902) have just had new seats, carpet and internal repainting done.

Neptune

Established Member
Thanks for that. And all 158s have had TrainFX and new door controls I assume?
All 158’s have TrainFX now. As for new door buttons they are definitely present on the internally refurbished units. I haven’t worked an unrefurbished unit for a while.

py_megapixel

Established Member
Does anyone happen to know if the Turbostars will be getting TrainFX? The currently installed PIS is programmed for ScotRail and I doubt Northern want the liability of maintaining two different systems even if they were going to update it.

Neptune

Established Member
Does anyone happen to know if the Turbostars will be getting TrainFX? The currently installed PIS is programmed for ScotRail and I doubt Northern want the liability of maintaining two different systems even if they were going to update it.
The 170’s screens have been updated to the Northern routes they work (they even scroll the stopping pattern on the external side screens) but they don’t have automatic audible announcements. I don’t think they have any plans to alter them to TrainFX from the original system currently in place.

Adam0984

K
The standard interior is the non standard and differ slightly new seating, new flooring and internal repaint. The wifi and charging will be the next stage of refurb
158 845 is a Perkins powered Heaton unit so I wonder what it was doing at NH who dont normally have 158s.
Re Newton heath hows what must be the worlds longest shed construction project going. Seems like it's been going years.
K
845 has been stabled at NH for a fair few weeks awaiting space at Heaton. NH stable and light maintain 158s. And as for the shed its slowly getting there and might be ready for Christmas 2021