• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Unit Refurbishments

brel york

One company looks after the old drawings , when modifications are done the rosco may send the drawings to them then they are available to view depending on what access you pay for

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

brel york

Just heard that donny will ramp up prm Work on angel 150s by taking another unit , this will be the ones we did the corrosion Work and c6 stuff plus new floors on .

Halish Railway

Established Member
So Doncaster are doing the Angel Trains 150's at the moment, is it likely that other Angel units in use with Northern will go there?

Does anyone have any idea who will do the 333's for refurbishment and fitting of Pantograph monitoring cameras?

On Moderation
We laugh at the standard of depot repairs , there ok at the standard exam type work but when it comes to interior work it’s bodge up time
People in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones....

Speak to the depots and they will tell you about the standards of sets returned from overhauls at all the various contractors.

brel york

Speak to the depots and they will tell you about the standards of sets returned from overhauls at all the various contractors.
Your right , I have witnessed some of the poor work sent back .
Half of the problem is the ridiculous times given for the work , they end up been rushed and then the quality suffers

northernchris

Established Member
Your right , I have witnessed some of the poor work sent back .
Half of the problem is the ridiculous times given for the work , they end up been rushed and then the quality suffers

How long does it usually take to do the PRM mods per unit?

brel york

And I’m not having ago at depots there time limitations are much worse than wabtec , I’ve been to plenty of depots to put right some sub standard work they have done

xc170

What is the main reason for the corrosion, poor quality of steel(?) used during original construction or years of sub standard maintenance?

brel york

The solebar s are only six mm thick , the two prototypes are eight mm, water ingress especially from leaking bodyside light rubbers , no drain holes in the solebar either so waters got no where to go , it’s on stands so we can support the solebar during replacement of sections of it plus pillar repairs
The train has an in built negative camber which is to counteract the weight of the underframe gear and passenger loading so it’s checked with a theodolite before and after

brel york

Seen 318 pmos car with areas of solebar down to 2.8mm , these have either eight or 10 mm thick solebar
Drag boxes that have had to have 12mm plate replaced and whole areas of floor closure plates that have rotted away

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Seen 318 pmos car with areas of solebar down to 2.8mm , these have either eight or 10 mm thick solebar
Drag boxes that have had to have 12mm plate replaced and whole areas of floor closure plates that have rotted away

The addition of your regular posts on the subject is an excellent addition to the forum!

For a thick civil engineering type like myself very interesting.

MG11

Thanks for that. Probably a daft question, but why have the bogies been removed?
Wheel lathing may be being done at the same time, to reduce the amount of time the unit is out of action.

superkev

Established Member
But if it was your house (OK, houses aren't metal, but you know what I mean) it wouldn't. The much higher cost of a train makes it more like a house in terms of economic repair than a car.
Ah but new trains are not only very expensive but presumably rusty old ones are very expensive to repair too.
K

Established Member
northern don’t want us to touch them , we sometimes change them on the fgw/gwr but only if they are having a C4

Do the bogies get swapped around for even wheel wear? I used to volunteer at a miniature railway and every six to twelve months we'd swap the bogies around on the carriages so the wheels wore evenly.