• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Unit Refurbishments

yorksrob

Veteran Member
That's a fair comparison.

A plaything for the weekend v a massively oversubscribed commuter route and vehicles.

They weren't built as 'playthings' though. They were designed for ordinary passenger service, some of them on the commuter routes of West London.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

northwichcat

Veteran Member
It appears today's 07:38 MCV-LIV service consists of two 319s for some strange reason.

07:02 MCV-Liv cancelled due to unit fault, 07:38 took faulty train back to Liverpool so that an ECS movement was only needed from Lime Street to Allerton, opposed to from Victoria to Allerton.

Bovverboy

Established Member
DJH1971 said:
It appears today's 07:38 MCV-LIV service consists of two 319s for some strange reason.

07:02 MCV-Liv cancelled due to unit fault, 07:38 took faulty train back to Liverpool so that an ECS movement was only needed from Lime Street to Allerton, opposed to from Victoria to Allerton.

The 0702 was apparently cancelled due to 'a problem with the on-board safety systems (M0)'. It seems the fault didn't disable the unit, but made it unsuitable for service. It seems to have been taken from Lime Street to Allerton at 0848, with the completely healthy 319 following as the 0848 Lime Street to Warrington Bank Quay (4L at 0852), the normal progression. There is a slight discrepancy in platform numbers, but I don't think there's any significance in that.
The unit which should have operated the 0816 Lime Street to Manchester Airport instead covered for the defective unit in operating 0820 Lime Street to Manchester Victoria, with the 0816 Airport and 0940 return being cancelled. It is usual (or, at least, commonplace) for the stopper to be given priority over the semi-fast in this way.
A unit seems to have been brought from Allerton at c.0920 (0940 into Lime Street), this then apparently operated the 1120 to Manchester Victoria, with the 1002 ex-Victoria doing the 1116 Airport. This is normal, the stopper and semi-fast are scheduled to swap duties at this point.
I'm inclined to suppose that the driver who should have operated the 0816 semi-fast was detailed to take the defective unit to Allerton, and bring a healthy one back. Shame there was (presumably) no-one available to fetch a unit from Allerton earlier.

Eccles1983

On Moderation
They weren't built as 'playthings' though. They were designed for ordinary passenger service, some of them on the commuter routes of West London.

And have been lovingly restored.

And now compared to units that get abused daily. Not really fair to compare the two in the manner suggested.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Reportedly 769s won't be cheap. Although, Porterbrook might have to lower leasing costs on the 319s given they now have much cheaper to lease 323s off lease as well.

Is there a patent on "hanging a diesel generator under an EMU" or is it either obvious or (230) prior art? Or is the 210 even prior art, being basically a 317 with a diesel generator in one coach?

If there isn't I expect other ROSCOs will follow as things like 455s become available, which while they wouldn't make a bi-mode would make a decent DMU, and already have high quality interiors and brand new traction packages. That'll bring the price down a bit.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
And have been lovingly restored.

And now compared to units that get abused daily. Not really fair to compare the two in the manner suggested.

When I visited their DMU day a few years ago, they had a driving trailer that was pretty much in 'as withdrawn' condition with fairly faded moquette.

That said, I think the comparison was based on the design, layout and quality of furnishings, rather than cleanliness or wear and tear.

Loop & Link

The 0702 was apparently cancelled due to 'a problem with the on-board safety systems (M0)'. It seems the fault didn't disable the unit.

GSMR fault on 378. Usually a unit can continue in service as long as it has “GSMR-GB” on the radio and the driver/signaller can contact each other. I suspect for the service to be cancelled it was showing “Fatal Error” on the GSMR and the defective cab had to be buried. I wouldn’t be happy sending a unit ECS all the way from Vic with a GSMR in that condition, hence it was coupled.

I'm inclined to suppose that the driver who should have operated the 0816 semi-fast was detailed to take the defective unit to Allerton, and bring a healthy one back. Shame there was (presumably) no-one available to fetch a unit from Allerton earlier.

Wouldn’t have been the 08:16 driver going to Allerton as they are relieved at Oxford Road and do the 09:44 Lime Street.

It would have been the Ferry driver, but the reason it was later than planned for a replacement - my personal reasons is there’s no chance I’m bringing a unit off the Depot in the middle of the morning peak, as you’ll end up knocking a service somehow and it’s not worth taking the delay.

Hope this helps :)

Bovverboy

Established Member
It would have been the Ferry driver, but the reason it was later than planned for a replacement - my personal reasons is there’s no chance I’m bringing a unit off the Depot in the middle of the morning peak, as you’ll end up knocking a service somehow and it’s not worth taking the delay.

I've deliberately delayed responding to the above, since I know I'm going to be accused of trying to tell a railwayman about railways (again). However I do wish to contest the notion that there is a morning 'peak' at (or on the approaches to) Liverpool Lime Street station. As far as passenger flow goes, indeed, I'm sure there will be far more passengers alighting from trains than at any other time of day, but there doesn't appear to be any sort of a 'peak' from the perspective of train movements. Far from it, for most of the day there are thirty scheduled arrivals/departures per hour at Lime Street, but between 0800 and 0859 that total drops to twenty-nine, by virtue of the fact that the lack of an arrival/departure to/from Liverpool South Parkway is only partially offset by the existence of an extra arrival from Manchester Victoria. Between 0700 and 0759 the said total is twenty-seven arrivals/departures, and between 0600 and 0659 it is twenty-seven also. The only hour in the day where the thirty total is exceeded is between 1700 and 1759, when the lack of a South Parkway departure is more than offset by extra departures for Preston and Manchester Victoria, and an ECS arrival ex-Allerton, pushing the total up to thirty-two.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Can I remind members that the title of this thread is Northern Unit Refurbishments, and ask that we attempt to stay on topic!

507 001

Established Member
I’ve travelled on a couple of refurbished (ha!) 319s in the last few weeks.
I have to admit, the new internal colour scheme is much nicer than it was. It’s brighter and feels a bit more modern.
It’s a shame that they haven’t done the seat covers yet, one of the ones I travelled in had it’s old thameslink seat covers!

Established Member
I travelled on 158756 yesterday, I actually thought it looked quite good, the new colour PIS looks light years ahead of the Dot matrix ones that are in 156's the main issues for me large amount of white and how well will it wear, The seats well the new cushion fabric looked better in the flesh than photo's but the original style seating looks dated even with a repaint of the plastic shells and I have always found those seats poor for legroom so new seats probably a good idea although if they are going to be an ironing board variant I guess it remains to be seen. I travelled in 2 156's earlier one with Grammar and one with Chapman and felt both of those were a little bit better for legroom and more comfortable overall.

Last edited:

Halish Railway

Established Member
I travelled on 158756 yesterday, I actually thought it looked quite good, the new colour PIS looks light years ahead of the Dot matrix ones that are in 156's the main issues for me large amount of white and how well will it wear, The seats well the new cushion fabric looked better in the flesh than photo's but the original style seating looks dated even with a repaint of the plastic shells and I have always found those seats poor for legroom so new seats probably a good idea although if they are going to be an ironing board variant I guess it remains to be seen. I travelled in 2 156's earlier one with Grammar and one with Chapman and felt both of those were a little bit better for legroom and more comfortable overall.
Do you mean 158's regarding the seats?

Established Member
Do you mean 158's regarding the seats?

Yes, I also noticed that the seat next to me must have had its drop down table replaced with an unrepainted one so it looked a bit naff. The old 158 seats are very angular at the bottom catching your legs where as more modern designs lend to be better in this respect plus the newer thinner designs aiding leg room but perhaps not seat comfort.

Last edited:

Halish Railway

Established Member
Yes, I also noticed that the seat next to me must have had its drop down table replaced with an unrepainted one so it looked a bit naff. The old 158 seats are very angular at the bottom catching your legs where as more modern designs lend to be better in this respect plus the newer thinner designs aiding leg room but perhaps not seat comfort.
The legroom and seat pitch make for an uncomfortable ride. I'm 14 and I struggle for leg room and get back ache. Question is what seats are coming. My bet is on Ironing boards as it seems that Northern have got a bulk discount as they will be fitted to Civity's and 156's.

northwichcat

Veteran Member
The legroom and seat pitch make for an uncomfortable ride. I'm 14 and I struggle for leg room and get back ache. Question is what seats are coming. My bet is on Ironing boards as it seems that Northern have got a bulk discount as they will be fitted to Civity's and 156's.

Your age isn't that relevant. Some teenagers have a growth spurt when they are 12/13 and then don't grow any further. The ex-ATN 156s are the worst - if you're not average height you can't sit in them with a proper posture and be comfortable. The 158s do allow a bit of leg movement for anyone under 6ft provided they sit up straight, even if they don't have as much leg room as the 175s and 185s.

Halish Railway

Established Member
Your age isn't that relevant. Some teenagers have a growth spurt when they are 12/13 and then don't grow any further. The ex-ATN 156s are the worst - if you're not average height you can't sit in them with a proper posture and be comfortable. The 158s do allow a bit of leg movement for anyone under 6ft provided they sit up straight, even if they don't have as much leg room as the 175s and 185s.
How much more legroom would ironing boards give on Class 156/158's.

northwichcat

Veteran Member
How much more legroom would ironing boards give on Class 156/158's.

The type of seating alone doesn't affect how much leg room there is. The 155s have the same type of seats as the ex-FNW 156s but the latter have more leg room because the 156s have fewer seats overall. While the 175s don't have ample leg room because of the type of seating used, they have ample leg room because fewer seats have been fitted in the available space.

northwichcat

Veteran Member
With the PRM modified 150s if the call for aid is activated does it need the conductor to go to the one which is activated to reset or can it be done from the cab? The reason I ask is today a service which had a lot of schoolkids on, the call for aid was set off with an auto announcement asking for the conductor's announcement being made every 20 seconds or so, yet the conductor didn't venture out from the cab except to go as far as the door controls.

northwichcat

Veteran Member
2 x 150/2s - I'm not sure if they were corridor connected. The front one hadn't had the PRM mods, the rear one (which had the guard at the back) had the PRM mods. The announcements continued for at least 3 station stops after they started, so I guess it's the training issue you mentioned.

Andyh82

Established Member
I'm not usually in favour of a cheap refurbishment where the original seats are kept (like the 150s) but in the case of the 158s, their seats are much better than anything more recent.

That's the 158s that still have the original seats, I notice some have Chapman seats that presumably originated somewhere else.

Established Member
I'm not usually in favour of a cheap refurbishment where the original seats are kept (like the 150s) but in the case of the 158s, their seats are much better than anything more recent.

That's the 158s that still have the original seats, I notice some have Chapman seats that presumably originated somewhere else.

I have to say that not an opinion I would agree with