• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Unit Refurbishments

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mde

I have started to notice that allot of the fabric on the "refurbished" 150s are starting to become dirty and tatty, the light blue really highlights the extent to which it is a problem also. I had been on a couple of units where I was just about to plonk myself down, however looked at the state of the seat and decided to find somewhere else.
Sam
I think they will probably live to regret buying that fabric - moquette would have been more resilient.

Killingworth

Established Member
It's good that the refurbs are going ahead, but can anyone explain why 150/2s are often twinned with 150/1s or Pacers on routes such as Piccadilly-Sheffield where the conductor is then unable to sell and check tickets in half the train? The half of the train that all savvy passengers will get into after Piccadilly, safe in the knowledge there's no barrier at Sheffield to catch them, even when all the stations finally get ticket machines? A pair of 150/2s would surely help to solve that one.

I was at Stockport for a time recently and noticed many 150/1s paired with 150/2s, but didnt see any 150/2s running together.

northernchris

Established Member
It's good that the refurbs are going ahead, but can anyone explain why 150/2s are often twinned with 150/1s or Pacers on routes such as Piccadilly-Sheffield where the conductor is then unable to sell and check tickets in half the train? The half of the train that all savvy passengers will get into after Piccadilly, safe in the knowledge there's no barrier at Sheffield to catch them, even when all the stations finally get ticket machines? A pair of 150/2s would surely help to solve that one.

I was at Stockport for a time recently and noticed many 150/1s paired with 150/2s, but didnt see any 150/2s running together.

Northern have 45 150/1 and 28 150/2 so it's more likely a 150/1 will turn up. The 150s are part of a standard pool, so if a diagram is allocated a 150, either a /1 or /2 can turn up, presumably this makes diagramming easier

Killingworth

Established Member
Northern have 45 150/1 and 28 150/2 so it's more likely a 150/1 will turn up. The 150s are part of a standard pool, so if a diagram is allocated a 150, either a /1 or /2 can turn up, presumably this makes diagramming easier

Maybe when all have been refurbished the fleet can be better distributed to help maximise income. That must be a thorny issue for Northern. I'd have thought the revenue protection people would be working with those responsible for diagramming to improve fare collection on all routes.

On Moderation
You'll also note while the second 185 toilet isn't wheelchair accessible, it does have braille on the toilet door sign, on the toilet flush button and on the hand washer controls.
I have never understood why they have Braille on the signs - if you are blind enough to need Braille then how do you know where the sign is in the first place?

ash39

Established Member
I have never understood why they have Braille on the signs - if you are blind enough to need Braille then how do you know where the sign is in the first place?

I think it's because very few people are 100% blind (and if they were, they'd probably require full time assistance, especially for travel).

Braille is useful where people are partially sighted. Where they are able to pick out enough light and shape to find a door, but not read the sign saying 'Toilet'.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I think it's because very few people are 100% blind (and if they were, they'd probably require full time assistance, especially for travel).

Braille is useful where people are partially sighted. Where they are able to pick out enough light and shape to find a door, but not read the sign saying 'Toilet'.

Even if I was fully blind I think I'd prefer to be afforded the dignity of being able to use the toilet alone without having to put my hand in some quite disgusting places to feel where the bowl is.

978wta

Not paint, they will be pre cut vinyls which are extended beyond the standard dark blue to accommodate the Royal Air Force Logo.

deltic08

On Moderation

What a roundabout way to go from Neville Hill to York. It must be three times the distance. If it was a 75 mph unit I would understand but a 158 fits in well with TPE services on this stretch of line.

It might be any easy way to keep up route knowledge for drivers as you could send it anyway you like as long as it got there.

tommy_train

It actually doesn't surprise me that they would have to treat corrosion given the age of the units, nor should it surprise them and they should have allowed time and budget to complete this , it isn't an either/or situation and certainly doesn't excuse wilfully misleading customers about the quality of the refurb they'd get. Cheapo seat covers on ancient seats doesn't scream as new ambiance to me.

I really don't like this cheap seat cover material. I first saw photos of it and it looked nice, but then I was on a 150 and sat on it, and it's not proper moquette and it cheapened the whole thing.

Ivr recently been on a 319 with this material and it makes the refurb feel half arsed, at least as far as the customer facing aspect goes.

Rail Blues

Fitted with flat cap and whippet accommodation? ;)

I'm offended at this outrageous stereotyping of the North of England, it is pandering to lazy stereotypes about Northern folk.

If you has must know, it been converted to run on gravy and mushy peas and a PiS voiced by Geoff Boycott has been fitted.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I'm offended at this outrageous stereotyping of the North of England, it is pandering to lazy stereotypes about Northern folk.

If you has must know, it been converted to run on gravy and mushy peas and a PiS voiced by Geoff Boycott has been fitted.
As it should be... That's champion. ;)