• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Unit Refurbishments

IamTrainsYT

That’s terrible. With the current health advice letting a unit leave with that in it is a completely unacceptable. Did you forward this to Northern? Tweeting them usually gets the quickest response.
I did, they said they had reported it and they were sorry for the inconvenience

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

superkev

Established Member
Few paths too and from Crewe, Doncaster and Wolverton works booked tomorrow (sat).
No idea of unit numbers presumably 150s and 156 interior refurbs
K

D Almond

The 158's on the Wigan Leeds service are all different configurations. Some old style Northern (pre 2016) with no leg room through to the latest refurb - which have great room - but thin uncomfortable seats. Hope the 158's stick around - superb ride.

The 158's on the Wigan Leeds service are all different configurations. Some old style Northern (pre 2016) with no leg room through to the latest refurb - which have great room - but thin uncomfortable seats. Hope the 158's stick around - superb ride.
last couple of journeys have been on a 3 car refurbished 158 great improvement and we've still got pacer diagrams as well.

superkev

Established Member
150 209 in GW livery went to Doncaster for PRM works on 25th Jan.
I think it was the mismatched set with no toilets the other car being from 212.
I wonder what's been done at Doncaster.
Theres a booked path the other way to Doncaster at 11.20 . With all the 150s now being "PRMed" or in works I wonder what's going there and why.
https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/K01303/2020-03-14/detailed
K

Last edited:

yorksrob

Veteran Member
If they still have plans for a small fleet of 3-cars then not adding a toilet isn't "cheaping out"... in fact if that is still the plan, fitting one would be a waste of farepayers money.

Having two toilets on a 3 carriage DMU would not be a waste of taxpayers money IMO.

IamTrainsYT

If they still have plans for a small fleet of 3-cars then not adding a toilet isn't "cheaping out"... in fact if that is still the plan, fitting one would be a waste of farepayers money.
I meant has it come back without a toilet and still in a 2 car formation

yorksrob

Veteran Member
No, but having two large universal toilets would be...
Having some units with two and some with just one would also be an issue capacity-wise.

I agree that one universal with others non is probably a sensible compromise.

That said, if there's a question mark over the future formation of this unit and they decided to put in a universal loo in case, and it ended up in a 3- car, it wouldn't be wasted.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I meant has it come back without a toilet and still in a 2 car formation
I knew what you meant... the situation with Northern's 150s is odd- at the start of the (now technically defunct) franchise certain routes were said to be planned for 3-car 150s, and platform extensions have been done (or are being done as we speak) in line with those plans. However other than the two prototypes due to arrive from GWR, and the two orphaned cars currently running as 150209, are the only vehicles in the fleet that fit in with that plan. If it is still planned to form multiple 3-car hybrid sets, then either (a) some will have a significantly lower capacity due to having two large toilets; or (b) any /2 sets being split will be having their toilets ripped out again after less than 2 years.

All signs point to the 3-car plan being abandoned, though with the prototypes still coming there'll be a couple of non-standard 3-car units. If the two cars of 209 remain without toilets, and are inserted into /1 sets that makes a total of 4 3-car sets... which incidentally is the number required to operate the full service (+1 spare) on the Penistone line: one of the routes which was earmarked for 3-car sets.

It's frustrating that Network Rail have finally got around to extending these platforms, but meanwhile the need for them has been swallowed up in the Arriva Northern omnishambles.

What's happening with 150219. Saw it at Exeter last july and it was the only unit in blue livery. The locals said it was going to northern shortly but it's still working in the South west in blue.seen it on video in February 2020.

superkev

Established Member
150 209 in GW livery went to Doncaster for PRM works on 25th Jan.
I think it was the mismatched set with no toilets the other car being from 212.
I wonder what's been done at Doncaster.
Theres a booked path the other way to Doncaster at 11.20 . With all the 150s now being "PRMed" or in works I wonder what's going there and why.
https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/K01303/2020-03-14/detailed
K
Seems that with the Doncaster to NH not making it the return NH to Donc has not run.
K

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
What's happening with 150219. Saw it at Exeter last july and it was the only unit in blue livery. The locals said it was going to northern shortly but it's still working in the South west in blue.seen it on video in February 2020.
Is that the one that was swapped for GWRs last /1 unit to give them (GW) a more uniform fleet?

jonesy3001

Established Member
No, 150207 was swapped for 150209, 219 was the unit involved in the incident with an hst, probably be the last gwr unit to receive their colours.
But that's for another thread.

superkev

Established Member
158792 is returning from the works as 5Z17 right now, in the new livery, presumably refurbished.
https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/K06106/2020-03-14/detailed
Re 158 792 returning from Crewe works.
The return working Neville hill crewe has run. Unit anyone? 158 ???
https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/K00050/2020-03-14/detailed
Also a workings NH too and from Crewe have run.
https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/K01301/2020-03-14/detailed 150 128 to Crewe
https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/K01300/2020-03-14/detailed 150 127 from Crewe
K

Last edited:

Neptune

Established Member
Not a clue. I was just finishing my shift. I passed Holbeck at 1200 when they were preparing to move 005 and got back at half 1 as it was heading east through the station. I imagine it will go soon if not already. I saw 016 in service yesterday so it was maybe the last day of service for a red 333.