• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Unit Refurbishments

mcnw35282

This happens on the Wigan to Kirkby branch...most trains are 4 carriages, but because they're too long for the platforms at Upholland, Rainford and Kirkby...the driver has to walk along the platform and manually release the doors to allow passengers on and off...which means the PIS tells you we're still on approach to Orrell when we're pulling into Kirkby!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
This happens on the Wigan to Kirkby branch...most trains are 4 carriages, but because they're too long for the platforms at Upholland, Rainford and Kirkby...the driver has to walk along the platform and manually release the doors to allow passengers on and off...which means the PIS tells you we're still on approach to Orrell when we're pulling into Kirkby!
They aren’t too long for Kirkby. The Wigan platform, being the original one is longer than the 1970s built Liverpool platform!

Mollman

Established Member
Do you mean guard rather than driver?

AMD

They aren’t too long for Kirkby. The Wigan platform, being the original one is longer than the 1970s built Liverpool platform!
Pairs of 150s just fit behind the fence at the Wigan end, as soon as you have a 156 in the consist officially it's LTSP at Kirkby.

Established Member
Pairs of 150s just fit behind the fence at the Wigan end, as soon as you have a 156 in the consist officially it's LTSP at Kirkby.
I’ve never actually seen a 156 in the consist at Kirkby. It’s always a pair of 150s or rarely a 150 and a 158. It was still always 150s and 142s until very recently.

bosleyrog

331s and 195s with moquette are very comfy
All the 195 2 cars have been fitted with moquette now, there are only 5 of the 3 cars left to fit.
The 331 3 cars have been started and to date 7 have been changed over to moquette.
2 class 158 units going through the digital train mods, have also had their covers changed.

RailWonderer

Established Member
I had two 150s today, one with the type of seating from early electrostars and ex-Anglia 156s, which is uncomfortable and narrow. The others with presumably original seating also seen in 319s, 321s and other original mk3 BR stock. When was the newer seating installed on those 150s?
Also had a couple of 195s including the 18:25 at Meadowhall, it had moquette and my outbound train as well. They’ve done a good job but In my opinion should have been installed from new.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
But only one replaced the seats on 150s. I forget which. The other didn’t, but it replaced the seats on 156s with Richmond seating.
NWT and FNW were the same company. The other (that became the Eastern half of Northern) was Northern Spirit, later Arriva Trains Northern. They didn't have many 150s, but the ones they had didn't even get relivieried until (Serco-Abellio) Northern days, let alone an interior refurbishment.

Established Member
NWT and FNW were the same company. The other (that became the Eastern half of Northern) was Northern Spirit, later Arriva Trains Northern. They didn't have many 150s, but the ones they had didn't even get relivieried until (Serco-Abellio) Northern days, let alone an interior refurbishment.
So did these Northern Spirit 150s continue to run in BR livery until long after the millennium?

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
So did these Northern Spirit 150s continue to run in BR livery until long after the millennium?
My memory tells me so (disclaimer: I'm now 40 and didn't live in the North during the early 2000s). I think we've had threads before about the longest-surviving BR liveries (not including nostalgic repaints) and I believe 150s and 153s were among the last units to receive a private operator livery.

I don't recall ever seeing a 150 in Arriva livery other than the Welsh ones, and no 150s ever got Northern Spirit green. 158s aside, ATN were pretty rubbish paint-wise.

Established Member
Are their new cushions then ?
The cushions are still new anyway. It’s just that extra few millimetres of moquette and the surface being soft that makes the difference.
My memory tells me so (disclaimer: I'm now 40 and didn't live in the North during the early 2000s). I think we've had threads before about the longest-surviving BR liveries (not including nostalgic repaints) and I believe 150s and 153s were among the last units to receive a private operator livery.

I don't recall ever seeing a 150 in Arriva livery other than the Welsh ones, and no 150s ever got Northern Spirit green. 158s aside, ATN were pretty rubbish paint-wise.
Why would that be? The 150s weren’t even particularly old then. They needn’t have made the effort though when the original livery was so much better.

silicagel

I definitely recall ATN 150s in late 2003 in ex BR livery.

I remember getting them between Barnsley and meadowhall when I was at college.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Why would that be? The 150s weren’t even particularly old then. They needn’t have made the effort though when the original livery was so much better.
It never seemed to be a priority. Northern Spirit launched their brand with the green livery that 142s and 156s got; and the magenta and gold TPE variant that 158s got. They didn't last all that long before collapsing and being rescued by Arriva, so none of the other classes got Northern Spirit colours other than the 333s which were delivered in a West Yorkshire variation of it. Presumably the 150s didn't require repainting before then, but it did help contribute to the variety of liveries of Northern's fleet when the united Northern franchise was created.

I personally quite liked Northern Spirit green, though the name Northern Spirit wasn't the best. They did a decent job making the 142s tolerable, but those "car seats" were a bit flimsy until the later Northern fettled them.

warwickshire

On Moderation
Yes it was the 1502s with Regional Railways branding on the side with BR Livery. Also for interest a few class 156s also retained the livery with Super Sprinter on the side. With a few Heaton based ones being the said units.
156438 was one that sticks out in my memory.

Yes it was the 1502s with Regional Railways branding on the side with BR Livery. Also for interest a few class 156s also retained the livery with Super Sprinter on the side. With a few Heaton based ones being the said units.
156438 was one that sticks out in my memory.
The 1502s that transferred over from the Valley Lines in swap of the 142s in Regional Railways livery that went over in exchange.

Last edited:

Neptune

Established Member
All the ex RRNE 156’s ended up refurbished and in NS livery by 2001. I remember working the last unit in Super Sprinter livery (possibly 156448) on the evening diesel turn Leeds - Bradford Forster Square shuttles in about January 2001. The Heaton units were last to be treated and didn’t even have hustle alarms until refurbishment.

The ex NS 150/2’s lost the RR livery by the end of 2004 or maybe early 2005 when they were painted in one of the early variations of Northern livery (the blue base with the angular upsweeps with the lilac rather than purple). They went into standard Northern livery a couple or so years later.

I seem to recall working an ex FNW 156 still in NWRR green stripe livery in the early days of the franchise too.

modernrail

All the 195 2 cars have been fitted with moquette now, there are only 5 of the 3 cars left to fit.
The 331 3 cars have been started and to date 7 have been changed over to moquette.
2 class 158 units going through the digital train mods, have also had their covers changed.
Who is footing the bill for all of this? Manufacturer of cloth on basis the flat cloth didn’t stand up to the job contrary to their claims, manufacturer of the trains for not catching the problem, or the DfT (so us) as operator because Arriva picked the wrong cloth but don’t run the franchise any more?

Established Member
Who is footing the bill for all of this? Manufacturer of cloth on basis the flat cloth didn’t stand up to the job contrary to their claims, manufacturer of the trains for not catching the problem, or the DfT (so us) as operator because Arriva picked the wrong cloth but don’t run the franchise any more?
In theory it doesn’t matter because the “flat cloth” (the use of which constituted the torture of passengers - I cannot emphasise enough that it was AWFUL) had already become life expired well over 12 months before it started to be replaced with very suitable and also quite pleasant moquette. It is likely the DfT paying but I am more than happy with the upgrade regardless of its funding arrangements and I doubt the manufacturer of such a poor quality cloth as for it to be a torture instrument would have sold it with a warranty lasting more than about 2 weeks. It appears to have been an almost perfect scam when it was ordered and the use of this material and company should be banned at once.

On Moderation
In theory it doesn’t matter because the “flat cloth” (the use of which constituted the torture of passengers - I cannot emphasise enough that it was AWFUL) had already become life expired well over 12 months before it started to be replaced with very suitable and also quite pleasant moquette. It is likely the DfT paying but I am more than happy with the upgrade regardless of its funding arrangements and I doubt the manufacturer of such a poor quality cloth as for it to be a torture instrument would have sold it with a warranty lasting more than about 2 weeks. It appears to have been an almost perfect scam when it was ordered and the use of this material and company should be banned at once.
Why should the company be banned? They will have supplied what they were contracted to supply - the issue is with TOCs who persistently specify such low grade materials and often don’t learn the lesson (e.g. Souther/GTR and GWR with their recurring use of astroturf). At least in this case Northern have learned the lesson, it seems.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
The flat cloth manufacturer aren't too blame for poor specifications of the train interior.

Train companies need to learn to go straight to Holdsworths, do not pass go.

Established Member
Why should the company be banned? They will have supplied what they were contracted to supply - the issue is with TOCs who persistently specify such low grade materials and often don’t learn the lesson (e.g. Southern/GTR and GWR with their recurring use of astroturf). At least in this case Northern have learned the lesson, it seems.
The flat cloth manufacturer aren't too blame for poor specifications of the train interior.

Train companies need to learn to go straight to Holdsworths, do not pass go.
The problem is inherently low specification train interiors being not fit for purpose, often combined with primitive foreign suspension arrangements which are unsuitable for our infrastructure. Note the contrast with recent high specification bus interiors, many specified by the same companies as trains, some with incredibly luxurious leather seats which still make for an uncomfortable journey thanks to pot holes on the roads!

But I still don’t believe that such poor quality materials as the “flat cloth” used by Northern should be allowed to be manufactured at all, for use by anyone for any purpose or that companies intending to exclusively manufacture anything so lacking in quality should be allowed to operate. The same should go for anything of poor quality as things on this level can quickly become unsafe.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
The problem is inherently low specification train interiors being not fit for purpose, often combined with primitive foreign suspension arrangements which are unsuitable for our infrastructure. Note the contrast with recent high specification bus interiors, many specified by the same companies as trains, some with incredibly luxurious leather seats which still make for an uncomfortable journey thanks to pot holes on the roads!

But I still don’t believe that such poor quality materials as the “flat cloth” used by Northern should be allowed to be manufactured at all, for use by anyone for any purpose or that companies intending to exclusively manufacture anything so lacking in quality should be allowed to operate. The same should go for anything of poor quality as things on this level can quickly become unsafe.
Unsafe? We're talking about what sort of cloth covers seats here- not dodgy wiring or leaky fuel systems.