• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

NorthernRail Trainee drivers 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCLeeds

Chris - congrats on the assessment day pass. Just read your other thread sounds like been a n-mare but all sorted now, nice one.

NI - cheers, my self belief is prob a bit better than it comes over on here, but I am a natural pessimist! Your right there is no reason why I couldnt pass again but it would be nice to think the DTM pass already stood; which of course it might yet.

Anyone else - it looks like FTPE are passing people at assessment but putting loads in the talent pool as not enough positions - but Northern are taking on everyone that passes, is this the case?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Eduardo

FTPE are passing people at assessment but putting loads in the talent pool as not enough positions - but Northern are taking on everyone that passes, is this the case?

Ha. I hardly think thats the case at all mate.:D

It would be nice if there was a guarantee of a job at the end of passing the assessments.

Unfortunately that's not the case. There's always the prospect of the 'talent pool' if a job offer doesn't come through.

Northern's recruitment policy has recently only been advertising trainee driver jobs for a short period. The Man Picc vacancy was live for just two days. Therefore a much smaller number will be in the running.

Although it will still probably run into the hundreds at the application stage.

First seem to advertise for much longer, often weeks, for these positions.

This naturally attracts thousands of people.

Beveridges

Established Member
FTPE are passing people at assessment but putting loads in the talent pool as not enough positions - but Northern are taking on everyone that passes, is this the case?

Back in the days when I was interested in such positions:
I applied for a Drivers position at Man Vic and was in the so-called 'talent pool' after passing everything (dont think they even called it that at the time - we are talking years ago here! It was called being put "on hold" back then!)
Told to reapply after 6 months. They will do it to their own employees, never mind externals.
Oddly enough I was also "on hold" for ATW at the same time as well after successful interviews with them.

Northern at the time (still do perhaps) go back to the interview scores on deciding who to pick out of the successful candidates. Going off whats been said here, TPE go back to psycho test scores. In both cases there is a set score that you have to pass, and if too many have passed, they pick the top scoring candidates.

Last edited:

Merrydown

Chris - congrats on the assessment day pass. Just read your other thread sounds like been a n-mare but all sorted now, nice one.

NI - cheers, my self belief is prob a bit better than it comes over on here, but I am a natural pessimist! Your right there is no reason why I couldnt pass again but it would be nice to think the DTM pass already stood; which of course it might yet.

Anyone else - it looks like FTPE are passing people at assessment but putting loads in the talent pool as not enough positions - but Northern are taking on everyone that passes, is this the case?

FTPE have no talent pool and nobody as yet has passed everything.
There are now about 35 hopefuls left for 10 positions and it looks like they have hand picked the highest passes,application form and DFFT results.

Silv1983

There are a lot of conspiracy theorists when it comes to the "talent pool". When say 15 people pass every stage but there are 12 positions: 3 are Talent Pooled. They have met the standard for the job but on that particular occasion there are better candidates who get the positions. When several vacancies then arise months or years later, it is human nature - even business nature - to get the best people for the job. Those who are talent pooled get jumbled up with new candidates prior to job offers. It's in the companies best interest to get the best people after all. Unfortunately for some therefore, they will never progress from the "pool" - because the same score that put them at the bottom of the pile will condemn them to missing out to better candidates every recruitment drive. Some will scream blue murder and blame the system - but the truth is that they're not good enough.

chrisdmadd

"When say 15 people pass every stage but there are 12 positions: 3 are Talent Pooled. They have met the standard for the job."

"but the truth is that they're not good enough."

Now to me if someone gets to the last 15 and passes every stage they are clearly good enough!

Next time you don't know who will apply so you may well be top of the pile.

youngboy

Now to me if someone gets to the last 15 and passes every stage they are clearly good enough!

I agree Chris, you only have to look at how many drivers there are that failed the tests once, reapplied at a later date, passed the tests after practicing for hours then landed their dream job.

I would say its unfortunate that some people placed in the talent pool have passed these assessment's 'first time' some with no practice.They're probably more capable of driving than those who failed once.

Silv1983

Sorry I came across wrong. I mean of course the individual is good enough for the job - but im speculating that some TOC recruit a fresh wave of candidates to compare with those in the talent pool. With so many thousands of applicants - Im saying there is likely to someone who scores higher who will trump the talent pool candidate - in the eyes of the company at least. Bit unfair really, but to them we're all just a name and a score at that early stage.

Of course I hope this doesn't happen, and Im not suggesting it does - but it's a speculation for those who are pooled and never hear back.

Last edited:

TDK

Established Member
Back in the days when I was interested in such positions:
I applied for a Drivers position at Man Vic and was in the so-called 'talent pool' after passing everything (dont think they even called it that at the time - we are talking years ago here! It was called being put "on hold" back then!)
Oddly enough I was also "on hold" for ATW at the same time as well after successful interviews with them.

I wouldn't say ages ago Bev as ATW started their Franchise in 2004 and didn't recruite any drivers until 2006 if I remember correctly!

JCLeeds

Wow, so even after passing the assessment day, we could still be further off than I thought... and I'm still yet to do an assessment day!

Ed - I take it no hear yet then?

Beveridges

Established Member
I count even 2008 as "ages ago" never mind 2006.

Back in the days when I got put "on hold" (aka "talent pool") for Man Vic there was only 1 vacancy and when I looked at the interview scores, I got 28 out of 32, a high pass, but the person who got the job, another internal, got 31 out of 32.
Whether the line manager interview is corrupt is another thing altogether. If a manager *wants* to give someone a job, he will. Doesn't matter to me now though. I would have got the job again if I reapplied as they have more recently took on larger numbers.

Back to the original topic though, whether you get put into the talent pool is nothing to do with how good you are. Its to do with how many the company are taking on.
If they are taking on 10 for example, then much less chance of ending up in a talent pool than if they were taking on 1 or 2.

I was incredibly lucky to get the position I am in now without having to go through a talent pool. The people who scored ahead of me dropped out. There was only 1 vacancy. It depends who you are up against as well. I was up against a qualified MDD from another depot. Luckily he decided to stay where he is, hence I got the job, now if he took the offer then I would have ended up "on hold".

Last edited:

Withnailandi

Beveridges, are you driving or conducting? I'm a conductor. HR for traincrew roles is terribly slow due to volumes applying. It took me 3 years just to get an interview.

Established Member
My friend just had this sent

Northern Rail HR said:
"you have met the required standard on the tets"

I think Borat is working at York HQ. "I like laydeez and their tets." :roll:

Eduardo

Hi folks,

Had the call I've been anxiously waiting for this afternoon.

HR contacted me to offer me a place on the next course, commencing on 13th May.:D:D

Thats less than two weeks notice I have to give my employer.

Talk about last minute!

Oh well, I'll be knocking on the bosses door first thing to give them the news.

Its time to say goodbye to thirteen years service in the Police. Great times but its time to go as I may never get an opportunity like this ever again. :cry:

It all feels a bit surreal at the moment. :|

I know there's quite a few in the process. I wish you all the very best of luck. :D

Daniel84

Hi folks,

HR contacted me to offer me a place on the next course, commencing on 13th May.:D:D

Talk about last minute!

Its time to say goodbye to thirteen years service in the Police. Great times but its time to go as I may never get an opportunity like this ever again. :cry:

I know there's quite a few in the process. I wish you all the very best of luck. :D

Well done Eduardo, strangely I am still on hold for the Manchester vacancy, the last of two emails I've had advised they are reviewing staffing requirements at Manchester. It looks as though someone has lost the reject button. All the best with it all.

Neil73

Its a tough nut to crack so I too want to pass on my congratulations to Eduardo. Well done ;)

Eduardo

Thank you for the kind words.

I handed my notice in today and my boss gave me his full support. A true gent.

Got a week or so now to plan and prepare for a whole new career. Can't wait to start.

All the very best guys! :D

Lanc688

Hi folks,

Talk about last minute!

Well done Eduardo....I am sure you will enjoy !

Lanc

Steg

Hi guys I'm new to this forum

I passed the assesment centre for the Leeds trainee driver job on thurs 25th apr and have yet to hear anything more. I was told to wait 4 weeks, I recognise it has only been just under three weeks but can't help get the jitters.

Is anyone else on here going for a driver job at Leeds? Have any of you guys heard anything?

chrisdmadd

The last assesments are this Friday so I think we should hear something next week.

I can't bloody wait any longer to hear the news.

chrisdmadd

Well looks like they have got a few on hold ready for a course soon (hopefully)

I'm praying i get a start and if i do i'm praying its the June 10th course. 4 weeks on monday!

Steg

This has probably already been answered but does anyone know the specific eyes and ears requirements for the medical?

Are you allowed to wear glasses?

TDK

Established Member
This has probably already been answered but does anyone know the specific eyes and ears requirements for the medical?

Are you allowed to wear glasses?

Look up Railway Group Standards Eyesight/Hearing requirements - readily available info

Status
Not open for further replies.