• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Not possible to complete Oyster journey in maximum time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brucey

Take the following journey: Hayes & Harlington to Woolwich Arsenal.

Three fares (with railcard): £1.90, £0.95 and £2.70.

The 95p fare is routed "Avoiding Zone 1 via Ealing Broadway, Shepherd's Bush, Willesden Junction and Stratford". Seems fair enough.

But then we look at the timings for this Friday...
Hayes & Harlington 13:10 - 13:19 Ealing Broadway GW
Ealing Broadway 13:24 - 13:38 Shepherd's Bush LU
Shepherd's Bush OSI
Shepherd's Bush 13:44 - 13:51 Willesden Junction LO
Willesden Junction Pink Reader
Willesden Junction 13:56 - 14:39 Stratford LO
Stratford Pink Reader
Stratford 14:49 - 14:55 Canning Town LU
Canning Town 14:57 - 15:10 Woolwich Arsenal DLR

The whole journey takes 120 minutes. Plus I'd allow 5 minutes either end to touch in/out and wait.

Let's see how many zone boundaries we pass...
Z5 - Z4 - Z3 - Z2 - Z3 - Z4

That's 5 boundaries, so we are allowed 110 minutes. That means my bargain basement 95p fare suddenly becomes in excess of £5.

Am I looking at this correctly or have I allowed too much time for the connections (bearing in mind that I'm not Usain Bolt)!!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Simon11

Established Member
I've had a quick look, based on this Friday leaving at 13.10

It takes 1hr 20mins via the most direct route.

Looking at your route the 13.10 gets to Arsenal DLR at 15:00

Leaving at 13.26 gets you to Arsenal at 15:10 but includes the bus

However I woldn't really fancy such a journey which involes 5 different different trains just to save a few quid!

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
It's close, but definitely dodgy. You are actually using six zones, so you are allowed 120 minutes. The boundaries bit is to explain that if you go from zone 3 to zone 3 via zone 1 it is actually 5 rather than 3 zones. You don't have to touch the pink validator at Willesden Junction and if you could time yourself onto a direct train from Shepherds Bush to Stratford that might save you time.

34D

Established Member
It's close, but definitely dodgy. You are actually using six zones, so you are allowed 120 minutes. The boundaries bit is to explain that if you go from zone 3 to zone 3 via zone 1 it is actually 5 rather than 3 zones. You don't have to touch the pink validator at Willesden Junction and if you could time yourself onto a direct train from Shepherds Bush to Stratford that might save you time.

Surely his proposed route avoids z1 completely though?

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Surely his proposed route avoids z1 completely though?

The number of zones travelled through is what is important, which in this case is six zones: 5, 4, 3, 2, 3, 4.

This should not be confused with the number of boundaries crossed (which incidentally is always one less).

34D

Established Member
:oops: Knew I should have stuck to the real example ...

Mike, I've been to the pub tonight and had a couple of sherberts, I wasn't aware you weren't sticking to the real example :s

Sorry though

Status
Not open for further replies.