• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Nottinghamshire & Derbyshire Bus News

tram21

Trentbarton Scanias 662 and 663 both tracking on Skylink Express along with Volvo 743, giving three branded buses. If that is 663, it is the first trip out since early November.
Someone said yesterday on a Facebook group that they saw 663, and was met with many comments saying that they must be mistaken, but it's great to see its back out!

In off peak its still quite busy so 10 mins freuqency all day stops with the headache of getting busses out the depot etc and makes the dutys alot easier to make. We need 9 to run the full ervice and with other stuff dying the red arrow does take a step back compared to other routes
On Monday the 16.02 departure from Nottingham was cancelled and I was on the 16.14 after and it was packed full. We waited at QMC 5 minutes loading people and turned many away as the coach was at capacity! Demand definitely fluctuates but I assume the revenue collected at busy times helps to 'subsidise' the less busy periods

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Trainman40083

Someone said yesterday on a fb group that they saw 663, and was met with many comments saying that they must be mistaken, but its great to see its back out!

On Monday the 16.02 departure from Nottingham was cancelled and I was on the 16.14 after and it was packed full, we waited at QMC 5 minutes loading people and turned many away as the coach was at capacity! Demand definitely fluctuates but I assume the revenue collected at busy times helps to 'subsidise' the less busy periods
Highly probable. But I doubt Red Arrow will see new coaches this year.

WestBridgfordWire reports of improvements to the Keyworth service. An 80 minute loop, seeing one extra bus, along with infrastructure improvements. . Not sure where an extra bus might come from.

Bus services through Rushcliffe will see big improvements thanks to a successful joint campaign by residents, Rushcliffe MP Ruth Edwards and local councillors.

There have been problems with “The Keyworth”, Trent Barton’s bus route that links Keyworth, Plumtree and Tollerton with Nottingham.

For some time, bus users have been experiencing an inconsistent service with buses arriving in quick succession, followed by long gaps as buses become “bunched up” along the route.

The arrival times have also been different from the departure times shown on the timetable. This means that passengers are unable to make important appointments or schedule their daily lives.

Local residents teamed up with Rushcliffe MP Ruth Edwards, county councillor John Cottee and Keyworth Parish Council to see if the issue could be fixed.

Results from a survey sent by Ruth Edwards to residents in all three villages, highlighted multiple problems and widespread frustration with the service. 77% of respondents reported they were ether dissatisfied or somewhat dissatisfied. 90% of respondents said they wanted to see improvements in reliability.

Ruth, Along with County Councillor John Cottee and representatives of the Parish Council, met with Trent Barton CEO Tom Morgan to discuss the issues and find a solution. The meeting resulted in a 10 point action plan with short, medium and long term actions.

A feasibility study into various infrastructure upgrades has been agreed with Nottinghamshire County Council. This will look into the possibility of putting the traffic lights where Main Road meets the A606 into a sequence that allows buses to move across this junction more quickly, as well as how adding a curb line to make sure buses are not hindered when pulling out into the A606.

Longer term, it was agreed to work together to appeal to National Highways to add bus priority measures to the Wheatcroft roundabout, as well as provide funds for a fifth bus along the route whilst upgrades are taking place.

In the short term, it was agreed that the 60-minute loop journey time, from Keyworth to West Bridgford and back, would change to an 80-minute loop for a 12-month trial. This was a key part of a plan developed by residents and the Keyworth Parish council, a plan which Ruth and Cllr Cottee put their full weight behind. This will allow buses to spread out and stick more closely to the published timetable. In addition, the company agreed to make upgrades to signage and GPS systems so live times are given to passengers waiting at bus stops.

This is all part of a long term transport strategy designed to ultimately create a faster public transport service to and from Nottingham.

Last edited by a moderator:

Established Member
Highly probable. But I doubt Red Arrow will see new coaches this year.

WestBridgfordWire reports of improvements to the Keyworth service. An 80 minute loop, seeing one extra bus, along with infrastructure improvements. . Not sure where an extra bus might come from.

80 min cycle sounds like it will become at 20 min service temporarily with the 4 existing Volvos and then when it is time for a refresh 5 new buses will replace them on a 75 min cycle to restore the 15 min frequency.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
80 min cycle sounds like it will become at 20 min service temporarily with the 4 existing Volvos and then when it is time for a refresh 5 new buses will replace them on a 75 min cycle to restore the 15 min frequency.
They are also talking about some road tweaks to shorten the journey time. Maybe they expect this to be enough to restore the 15min frequency with four buses. However, one of these tweaks is bus priority on the A52 roundabout, but this probably has to wait for the rebuilding which doesn't appear to be finishing before 2027.

JD2168

According to a driver a grand total of 11 boards were missing at Derby today!

Over at Arriva, the ex Liverpool Volvos have started to be repainted with the first being 3739 thankfully.

The shortage of drivers sounds very similar to sister company TM Travel in South Yorkshire where many journeys on routes fail to run. As a number of routes are at best hourly it can give gaps of a couple of hours between buses. There also seems to be a shortage of vehicles, one route the 5 from Sheffield to Firth Park had an Omnidekka on today, normally this is an Optare Solo.

MCR247

Established Member
Copied from Derby Bus Depot:

Littles Tempos B1 (YJ07 VSE), B2 (YJ07 VSF), and Volvo B7/Plaxton President D10 LX54 GZT are currently on loan to notts and derby.

Solo SR 499 is currently also in use with notts and derby.

At Trent Volvo 733 now carries H1 livery. 741 has been replaced by 827 at Derby. Skylink Express Scania 663 is back in use with new MOT.

Former 310 and 311 have made a (loan) return to Wellglade it seems!

gazmark

The shortage of drivers sounds very similar to sister company TM Travel in South Yorkshire where many journeys on routes fail to run. As a number of routes are at best hourly it can give gaps of a couple of hours between buses. There also seems to be a shortage of vehicles, one route the 5 from Sheffield to Firth Park had an Omnidekka on today, normally this is an Optare Solo.
Flipping hell with the estate roads in Pitsmoor and Wensley, that will have been a fun day for the driver

MasterSpenny

There is news is coming out today that Nottingham City Transport has confirmed a further 24 electric single deckers from Yutong, bringing the total number due to 48.
Nottingham City Transport (NCT) will take delivery of at least 48 Yutong E10 and E12 battery-electric buses as part of a successful bid by Nottingham City Council to the first round of Zero Emission Bus Regional Areas (ZEBRA) funding, the operator has confirmed.

An initial 12 examples of the E12 were ordered in 2022, and the Chinese marque and its UK dealer partner Pelican Bus and Coach have since gained two further orders of 12 and 24 buses, respectively. The opening batch has been delivered to Nottingham, with the next 12 due by April and the remaining 24 in March 2025.

Nottingham’s successful ZEBRA bid will ultimately part-fund 78 battery-electric single-deck buses for NCT. The business case for ZEBRA fundingsubmitted to the government in 2022 showed that those 78 represent NCT’s single-deck fleet in its entirety.

The operator additionally hopes to replace all of its remaining diesel buses over the next four years to leave it with biogas and battery-electric as power sources at the completion of that work.

Managing Director David Astill adds that the first E12s are “the exciting start of our journey to a battery-electric fleet.” NCT has “been impressed by the flexibility and enthusiasm offered by Pelican and Yutong to build a bus with coach-like comfort to a challenging specification set out by the NCT team.”

Zenobe is providing charging infrastructure and software for the buses at Trent Bridge depot. Three of the initial 12 E12s were displayed there recently in various colour-coded liveries for the operator’s city network.

In placing the initial order, NCT noted that Yutong and Pelican got the nod after “a rigorous public procurement process.” Head of Yutong UK Ian Downie has described delivery of the first 12 as “a significant step for Nottingham City Transport and it journey to zero emissions.”

Mr Downie adds that NCT “challenged us to produce a customer-centric vehicle, and we are extremely proud of what has been achieved.

“The vehicle is fitted with full colour front destination display, luxury trimmed high-backed seating, new ‘swept’ hand poles, illuminated bell pushes, and our electric air-conditioning system for maximum customer comfort.”

Mr Astill says that a comprehensive familiarisation programme for drivers and engineers is underway, and that both of those parties “are full of praise for these new buses. I am confident that our passengers will be equally impressed.”

tram21

There is news is coming out today that Nottingham City Transport has confirmed a further 24 electric single deckers from Yutong, bringing the total number due to 48.
On the NCT website (www.nctx.co.uk/electricbus), it now says:
The second batch of 12 will operate on:

• Green 11 to Meadows, Lady Bay
  • Blue 40/X to St Ann's, City Hospital and Edwards Lane Estate
  • Blue 41, 42 to St Ann's
In addition there is an indefinite delay to the first batch, which is a shame :(
Frustratingly, there has been a delay completing the power connection to our garage, which has delayed the introduction of the new buses.

Last edited:

chessie

Press release from Chesterfield Borough Council today that to me doesnt actually announce anything new from last year. Whilst the 65 is a nice route, I wouldnt quite explain it as per quoted and I was hopeful the Peak Sightseer might go a little deeper into the Peak District this year assuming Hulleys have nothing planned but it doesnt seem thats likely

Visit Peak District & Derbyshire has announced a new Strategic Partnership with bus operator Stagecoach as part of its ongoing mission to encourage visitors to go ‘car-free’ when visiting the destination.

The organisations will work together to highlight the benefits of travelling by bus and promote car-free days out – giving visitors a practical way to save money, reduce their carbon footprint, and do their bit to protect local landscapes at the same time.

Visit Peak District & Derbyshire’s Strategic Partners are an influential network of key tourism-related businesses who share its core aims to grow the value of the area’s visitor economy and build a brighter, more sustainable future.

Through the new Strategic Partnership, Stagecoach is highlighting its commitment to working alongside the destination’s official Local Visitor Economy Partnership (LVEP) to champion the long-term success of the area’s tourism industry and the communities it supports.

Stagecoach is Britain’s largest bus operator and its network incorporates some of the most popular visitor spots in the Peak District and Derbyshire. Local services include the recently-extended X17 which runs from Barnsley to Wirksworth via Sheffield, Chesterfield and Matlock, and the 65 which runs from Sheffield to Buxton via Tideswell – and is often called ‘one of the most scenic bus routes in Britain’.

Stagecoach also operates the Peak Sightseer hop-on, hop-off service which connects the historic market towns of Bakewell and Chesterfield with key tourist attractions including Chatsworth and Hassop Station for visiting the Monsal Trail.

The Strategic Partnership strengthens Visit Peak District & Derbyshire’s long-term mission to encourage more visitors to choose sustainable transport methods, and the organisations will work together to produce ‘car-free’ content and itineraries that encourage both tourists and residents to enjoy all the area has to offer without increasing pollution and congestion in towns, villages and the countryside.

The news follows the launch of Visit Peak District & Derbyshire’s Sustainable Tourism Action Plan, which has been produced in partnership with local stakeholders including the Peak District National Park Authority and the National Forest and sets out the destination’s vision to lead the way in green tourism, active travel and transport connectivity.

Tourism contributed £2.59bn to the Peak District and Derbyshire’s economy in 2022, supporting thousands of jobs and driving prosperity in local communities.

Last edited by a moderator:

Llandudno

Established Member
Press release from Chesterfield Borough Council today that to me doesnt actually announce anything new from last year. Whilst the 65 is a nice route, I wouldnt quite explain it as per quoted and I was hopeful the Peak Sightseer might go a little deeper into the Peak District this year assuming Hulleys have nothing planned but it doesnt seem thats likely

And the X17 as scenic as it is in parts doesn’t actually run to or through the National Park!

tram21

Thanks, I am guessing the second batch are the shorter E10s then?
They are, yes!

A launch event for the electric buses will take place on 9th March in Old Market Square! Looks like they won't be entering service until late March due to further complications (internal sources)

Attachments

• 20240208_184725.jpg
    20240208_184725.jpg
    225.1 KB · Views: 43

Trainman40083

Former Threes Versa 824 is now painted in the generic bright red Trentbarton livery. 818 to 824 are expected to be allocated to Langley Mill.. Volvo/Wright 733 is in H1 livery (if not already reported).

Established Member
Former Threes Versa 824 is now painted in the generic bright red Trentbarton livery. 818 to 824 are expected to be allocated to Langley Mill.. Volvo/Wright 733 is in H1 livery (if not already reported).
Anything else due for Derby? The red arrow looked to only have about 5 vehicles on it when I used it this morning.

Trainman40083

That said 822 is said to be being painted in Kinchbus livery

Anything else due for Derby? The red arrow looked to only have about 5 vehicles on it when I used it this morning.
Re Red Arrow. It did look like 4 (out of 9) coaches and between 1 and 3 Volvo single deckers (712/715/716). Very rare there is a full service these days.

cnjb8

Established Member
Also, it seems 462 made a return to service but has broken down again. According to bustimes its last journey was on the 7th Feb

Trainman40083

Also, it seems 462 made a return to service but has broken down again. According to bustimes its last journey was on the 7th Feb
I understood that the "appearance" of 462 was just a ticket machine rather than the actual bus. Last time I saw 462 it had not moved.

I understood that the "appearance" of 462 was just a ticket machine rather than the actual bus. Last time I saw 462 it had not moved.
Solo SR 499 is back working for Trentbarton at Derby, tracking as 462... No blinds working.

Last edited:

JD2168

Any chance of more vehicles going to TM Travel, some of the Solo’s are now 20 years old & the Scania’s seem to be suffering from regular problems

Davidsb3

Solo SR 499 is back working for Trentbarton at Derby, tracking as 462... No blinds working.
Yea it did one comet (only from Alfreton) and then spent most of the day on the Allestree. That didn't end well as it seemed like the brakes decided it like being parked outside the council house and seized on, so it sat there until about 9pm. I saw the wrecker pulling up to it as I went past to finish my villager shift. Saying that, it seemed to be a quick fix as its out on the villager today covering for 740 which needs an MOT.
And yes, 462 hasn't moved and most likely won't again in service but it has come back from the dead more than once.

Trainman40083

Yea it did one comet (only from Alfreton) and then spent most of the day on the Allestree. That didn't end well as it seemed like the brakes decided it like being parked outside the council house and seized on, so it sat there until about 9pm. I saw the wrecker pulling up to it as I went past to finish my villager shift. Saying that, it seemed to be a quick fix as its out on the villager today covering for 740 which needs an MOT.
And yes, 462 hasn't moved and most likely won't again in service but it has come back from the dead more than once.
Careful. Notts and Derby will want it back, to cover for Scania 48.

Mugby

Established Member
Trentbarton said extra buses would run on 'The Swift' today (and tomorrow) at 1020, 1120, 1220 and 1330 from Derby to cope with demand for the Shrovetide football event in Ashbourne.
The 1220 was a Volvo Gemini decker borrowed from Notts & Derby and the 1320 appeared to be just the usual branded Volvo saloon.
The decker came back into Derby abut 1330 and seemed to be returning empty.
I was wondering where they were going to get the extra buses and extra drivers from!

Trainman40083

Trentbarton said extra buses would run on 'The Swift' today (and tomorrow) at 1020, 1120, 1220 and 1330 from Derby to cope with demand for the Shrovetide football event in Ashbourne.
The 1220 was a Volvo Gemini decker borrowed from Notts & Derby and the 1320 appeared to be just the usual branded Volvo saloon.
I was wondering where they were going to get the extra buses and extra drivers from!
482, 491 and 827 were tracking on bus times along with 736 to 738. Well 482 is dumped for parts. Maybe all three were really Notts and Derby deckers. Unless 827 has been repaired. In previous years, the dupes have been deckers.

Established Member
Possibly Notts & Derby drivers in-between school runs?

zakky1.0

Trent are currently overstaffed, runs are now being dropped due to engineering being the state it is, I do really hope VOSA get involved soon, a Notts+Derby coach was PG9'd a few weeks back for a few major defects, including having a bold tire!

Trainman40083

Possibly Notts & Derby drivers in-between school runs?
It looks like the Swift dupes, have been two Geminis and a Centro. Good job, really as TB Volvo 736 broke down in Friargate on the 11.20 ex Derby. At least the dupe was able to help.

Trent are currently overstaffed, runs are now being dropped due to engineering being the state it is, I do really hope VOSA get involved soon, a Notts+Derby coach was PG9'd a few weeks back for a few major defects, including having a bold tire!
Yes, so many services don't have a full service due to vehicle availability. Social media team at the Mill just tell people they have been delayed (crypto speak for , the next one will be with you eventually). I feel sorry for the drivers.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
That's odd, I understood Trent was still short of drivers, much like Kinchbus.

tram21

That's odd, I understood Trent was still short of drivers, much like Kinchbus.
I believe their recruitment went really well and now all they need is buses to run the bus service! :lol:

Stopping a complete aversion against hiring buses/ using Notts+Derby's buses when they are available would help, perhaps!