• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Nymr

Status
Not open for further replies.

E&W Lucas

Established Member
Yes exactly... And lets face it running some morning and evening commuter services wont hinder the heritage timetable neither will the odd through train to york during the day either. Completely agree.

Can I suggest that you go and take a look at the NYMR's timetable, especially the peak season one, and also work out where you could path any through services?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Can I suggest that you go and take a look at the NYMR's timetable, especially the peak season one, and also work out where you could path any through services?

By removing a heritage service in return for compensation. However im not sure it would need a middle of the day service it was a passing comment my main suggestion involves commuter times.

E&W Lucas

Established Member
By removing a heritage service in return for compensation. However im not sure it would need a middle of the day service it was a passing comment my main suggestion involves commuter times.

What commuting?

Pickering to Grosmont is a 25 mph backwater. It has never been more than a few mph quicker than that. If you want to get out of Whitby in a hurry, you go by car.

There's an awful lot of "fantasy railway" from people with zero first hand knowledge expressed above.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
What commuting?

Pickering to Grosmont is a 25 mph backwater. It has never been more than a few mph quicker than that. If you want to get out of Whitby in a hurry, you go by car.

There's an awful lot of "fantasy railway" from people with zero first hand knowledge expressed above.

Ermm yeah i know. I am talking about links to whitby and york here. Not commuters from grosmont and goathland to pickering...

No first hand experience of what? The area? A railway? The NYMR?

So your telling me there is no people who commute to york or whitby from the pickering area?
Your telling me there is no tourist demand to whitby from york and malton on the train in the summer?

E&W Lucas

Established Member
Ermm yeah i know. I am talking about links to whitby and york here. Not commuters from grosmont and goathland to pickering...

No first hand experience of what? The area? A railway? The NYMR?

Exactly - none.

I am talking about commuting from Whitby. That would involve transversing that which is now the NYMR. This has always been a very low speed stretch of railway, and there is not an awful lot that could be done about that. Road id a far more practical alternative. Tourist traffic is the same. The NYMR only gets involved, as the journey offers a pleasant addition to a day out in Whitby. A 158 doesn't quite match this.

Lets be totally honest. There is no substance to the suggested scheme. It gets suggested a couple of times a year, and has been regularly for the 20+ years that I have been volunteering at the NYMR. What you might see are some capacity improvements between Grosmont & Whitby, and if the political will is there, maybe a Swanage style Park & Ride Scheme at Pickering.

As for the rest - I just don't see that there would be a market. It went out with the Victorians.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Exactly - none.

I am talking about commuting from Whitby. That would involve transversing that which is now the NYMR. This has always been a very low speed stretch of railway, and there is not an awful lot that could be done about that. Road id a far more practical alternative. Tourist traffic is the same. The NYMR only gets involved, as the journey offers a pleasant addition to a day out in Whitby. A 158 doesn't quite match this.

Lets be totally honest. There is no substance to the suggested scheme. It gets suggested a couple of times a year, and has been regularly for the 20+ years that I have been volunteering at the NYMR. What you might see are some capacity improvements between Grosmont & Whitby, and if the political will is there, maybe a Swanage style Park & Ride Scheme at Pickering.

As for the rest - I just don't see that there would be a market. It went out with the Victorians.

Your clearly better placed than i am to judge. It was just a suggestion.

Status
Not open for further replies.